PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on this stronglight seatpost?

d_douglas
02-01-2008, 02:46 AM
I found this baby on Ebay and wonder whether it keeps the seat stable. Does it have one bolt or two bolts? It looks plenty strong, but the rail clamp mechanism looks like it could result in a painfully slowly tilting seat! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STRONGLIGHT-SEATPOST-DIAMETER-26-6-MN-NIB_W0QQitemZ150211611819QQihZ005QQcategoryZ56197Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sspielman
02-01-2008, 06:24 AM
That is a Stronglight "Delta" seatpost from the mid to late 1980's. The saddle craddle is mounted on an arch that is formed at the top of the seatpost pillar and is held in place by two 7mm allen bolts. The curve of the arch is such that it relies TOO HEAVILY on the strength of the bolts to hold things tight and they break. All of my teammates at that time had a turn at breaking their Delta seatpost. The 7mm bolts are VERY hard to source, so replacements aren't easy either if you are so inclined. It pains me to say anything bad about Stronglight since most of what they make is great, but this was a flawed design.