01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Wow, verrrry interesting stuff!

Who was in the cabin?

Who are "the six"?

Would you have followed Jack or Locke?

Discuss...

shinomaster
02-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Hmm. I was kinda bummed out with all the commercials. I have only watched Lost on DVD. I'm not sure what to think about Naomi, and her ship. The future scenes are interesting. To whose funeral did Jack go? Sawyer? Lock?
That island is effed up. That's all I have to say.

rsl
02-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I made the switch last season from DVD to primetime, and it was tough to get used to. Best just to mute and ignore the commercials not to disrupt things.

My current bet is that it's ben's funeral, but I've got little evidence for that other than a hunch.

jmewkill
02-01-2008, 07:44 AM
the show set new standards for commercial interruptions.

Still - I'd love to have beer with Hurley.

Ozz
02-01-2008, 08:09 AM
good to have the show back on....but sheesh.....if I never watch "Eli Stone" it will be too soon...so many freakin' commercials!

hoss
02-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Who was in the cabin?

Locke

Who are "the six"?

Jack
Kate
Ben
Sawyer
Hurly
Desmond

Locke

These are just guesses of course. Great show, glad it's back on.

Ozz
02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Who was in the cabin?

Locke

Who are "the six"?

Jack
Kate
Ben
Sawyer
Hurly
Desmond

Locke

I think Hurley can see Jacob..... ;)

bostondrunk
02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
My wife and I love it, but hate the week wait to see the next episode. I tried to convince her that we shouldn't watch it this season, and that way we could get the DVD's next fall and watch it all in one shot. Didn't work..

bocarider
02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
My Lost team, which is me, my wife and our 20 year old daughter who reads a whole lot of websites and blogs on Lost are pretty sure it was Jacob in the cabin and it was Locke who popped up in the window. Remember, Locke may have seen Jacob when he went to the cabin with Ben the 1st time and could have circled back to find out more.

Another point about the Oceanic 6 - don't forget that Michael and Walt are presumed to have made it back to civilization, so they could also be considered for the Oceanic 6 - but who knows with that show.

Odd that Hurley said to Jack on the mental institution basketball court that he made a mistake going with Locke, so that was some good foreshadowing.

As annoying as the commercials are, I still love/hate that show.

hoss
02-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I think Hurley can see Jacob..... ;)

I'm interested to see if Jacob takes form. They could go many directions with that.

Like most I don't want to wait the week for the next episode. :crap:

cdimattio
02-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Who was in the cabin?

Locke

Who are "the six"?

Jack
Kate
Ben
Sawyer
Hurly
Desmond

Locke

Speculation is that Jacob may be C. Christian Shephard, Jack's allegedly deceased father... So he may have been the person in the cabin.

DukeHorn
02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Would Desmond be part of the Oceanic 6 since he wasn't on the flight?

I highly doubt it but perhaps Sun could be the deceased since all the pregnant women on the island were dying.

Dave
02-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Commercials? Not for me. I record everything on DVR or DVD and fast forward through the garbage. I can record four shows at once while watching a fifth on DVD. I've got a 2-channel DVR, two DVD recorders and a DVD player in the home theater.

We've seen three of the Oceanic 6 in the future. I suspect a lot of the crash survivors remain on the island (living but presumed dead) and only the 6 left the island.

Len J
02-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Commercials? Not for me. I record everything on DVR or DVD and fast forward through the garbage. I can record four shows at once while watching a fifth on DVD. I've got a 2-channel DVR, two DVD recorders and a DVD player in the home theater.

We've seen three of the Oceanic 6 in the future. I suspect a lot of the crash survivors remain on the island (living but presumed dead) and only the 6 left the island.

I watched it.....but I watch intermittently.......I have to admit.......I was Lost.

It gets less & less comprehensible, & less & less credible. And the characters get more & more annoying.

Len

shinomaster
02-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Speculation is that Jacob may be C. Christian Shephard, Jack's allegedly deceased father... So he may have been the person in the cabin.

***?

MadRocketSci
02-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Another point about the Oceanic 6 - don't forget that Michael and Walt are presumed to have made it back to civilization, so they could also be considered for the Oceanic 6 - but who knows with that show.

Good guess, I saw that Harold Perineau's name was in the opening credits so (unfortunately) it looks like he's back on the show, in living or imaginary/ghostly form...

cmg
02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
it's interesting that they are telling two story lines. one from after the 6 get rescued and one from before the rescue or departing the island. I would suspect that this season will end with the leaving and the 6 coming back to the island. since at that point the storylines convierge. reminds me of Farscape in that manner. I was disapointed that the first hour was a recap show to hook new viewers. glad it's back. their getting pretty loose with killing. Sawyer this season is starting to show compassion, asking Hurley what's wrong. Jacob and Locke were in the cabin. Walt is a figment, like Charlie was to Hurley on the mainland, both were friends without agendas. I would have gone with Jack. Locke wants to stay on the island. my goal would be to get off at whatever cost.

Ozz
02-01-2008, 03:47 PM
I think it is interesting that previous seasons had "flash-backs", and now we are getting "flash-forwards"....not sure what it means yet.

cdimattio
02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
***?

'Lost’: Was that Jack’s dead dad?
By Peter Mucha

Philadelphia Inquirer Staff Writer

Last night's season debut of Lost was a smash-up ride to a crazy place.
Figuratively for fans.

Literally for Hurley.

When a hot red car flees L.A. cops and crashes, out steps the rotund Hugo, who relishes landing in an asylum - until dead rocker Charlie strolls by to chat.

But Charlie's not the only character back from the dead, according to fans.

So is Jack's dead dad.

Credits for the show apparently confirm.

Lost fans are buzzing, of course, about which castaways will live and who will die, as doubts grow whether strangers aboard approaching helicopters carry rescuers or killers.

We know from the flash-forwards of last season's finale that Jack and Kate escape, and last night's Hurley flash-forwards reveal that he is one of six surivors of Oceanic Flight 815 - what he calls "the Oceanic Six!"

(Yes, flashbacks are a thing of the past, you could say.)

But the biggest buzz may be about another mystery: Whose faces did Hurley glimpse last night in a ramshackle island dwelling?

The face at the window might have been Locke's, but who was sitting in the chair?

During Season One, we learned that Jack was on the fateful Sydney-L.A. flight to ferry his father's coffin home.

Only problem: When the body box was found, the corpse was nowhere to be seen.

Jack - and fans - were left to wonder: Was a figure the nerve doc saw really his undead dad?

The character's name, Christian Shephard, sure invites resurrection talk.

Last night, Hurley gets lost (fancy that) and stumbles on a dilapidated place, where several episodes ago a mysterious entity named Jacob was seen - for a flash - sitting in a chair.

Through a window, again we suddenly see a man in a chair. But this time he looks like Jack's dad, down to the pinstriped burial suit.

Or so fans say.

Screen captures posted on the Web last night seem to support the idea. (View one here: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/cupcakesaysmeow/facecabin.png.)

And so do the credits on imdb.com for John Terry, the actor who plays Jack's dad. The citation reads: "The Beginning of the End (2008) TV episode .... Christian Shephard." (See it at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0994348.)

Besides, in last season's finale, Jack in his flash-forwards speaks as if his father's alive.

Maybe, like Lost, he wasn't just in a crazy place.

Maybe his dad is one of the Oceanic Six.

rsl
02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
I think the man in the cabin is jack's dad too.

Here are some screen shots - one of the man in the chair, another of Christian Shepherd, and one of the other person in the cabin (I don't think it's Locke, maybe it's Patchie?)

maunahaole
02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
when the pharmacist turned jack down for his pills, he presented a prescription from his father. This was mentioned after the pharmacist told him that he couldnt prescribe to himself. The pill popping all takes place in the flash forward sections.

mgm777
02-01-2008, 09:22 PM
I must admit...I'm Lost.

I am not a regular viewer of the show, but I watched Wednesday's review show and last night's episode in its entirety...I even turned off the laptop.

I have no clue as to what's going on. However, there is just enough coherence in the story line to keep me intrigued until next week. I've been trying to catch up on what's going on by reading the blogs, this forum, etc.

I'm lost and just not that bright. :crap:

Climb01742
02-02-2008, 06:13 AM
i don't like "flash forward" as a narrative technique. feels needlessly manipulative and teasing.

i loved the first season. since then, less fulfilling and less truly intriguing. i'm still sorta intrigued but annoyed in equal parts.

hard to tell whether they are taking so long to tell the story because it warrants it or to make it last enough to syndicate. my cynical answer is the latter.

i will watch 'cause i'm hooked just enuf but i sure don't have the pleasure i got from the first season. can any ending, any explanation live up to our anticipation? odds are, won't any ending be disappointing?

my wife has an interesting theory. the secret to the show is in the title. the point isn't that the characters are lost but a storytelling experiment where for 5 seasons, the viewers can be lost. the creators of the show are all TV veterans. it seems like it could be something a bunch of writers, disillusioned and a bit bitter by the TV biz and the hollywood game, could dream up over beers one night. "hey, what if we f-ed with viewers for 5 years..." "naw, you could never pull it off..." "sure we could, man..." "How?" "ok, we start with this crash...throw in a bunch of metaphysical, magic mumbo-jumbo..."

rsl
02-02-2008, 01:24 PM
i don't like "flash forward" as a narrative technique. feels needlessly manipulative and teasing.

i loved the first season. since then, less fulfilling and less truly intriguing. i'm still sorta intrigued but annoyed in equal parts.

hard to tell whether they are taking so long to tell the story because it warrants it or to make it last enough to syndicate. my cynical answer is the latter.

i will watch 'cause i'm hooked just enuf but i sure don't have the pleasure i got from the first season. can any ending, any explanation live up to our anticipation? odds are, won't any ending be disappointing?

my wife has an interesting theory. the secret to the show is in the title. the point isn't that the characters are lost but a storytelling experiment where for 5 seasons, the viewers can be lost. the creators of the show are all TV veterans. it seems like it could be something a bunch of writers, disillusioned and a bit bitter by the TV biz and the hollywood game, could dream up over beers one night. "hey, what if we f-ed with viewers for 5 years..." "naw, you could never pull it off..." "sure we could, man..." "How?" "ok, we start with this crash...throw in a bunch of metaphysical, magic mumbo-jumbo..."

Huh, maybe an interesting theory! You can find quotes attributed to the creators all over the web where they promise to resolve all the mysteries. I hope that's the case!

1centaur
02-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Not digging Mrs. Climb's theory. Would seem like a big middle finger to the fans, and the critics, all of whom would remember the network and the creative forces who did that to them. If I were hiring creative types for my next project, I'd avoid people who couldn't think of something better than "let's be random and string them along." Tying up loose ends in a satisfying way is the difference between successful and unsuccessful mystery writing. Too much of a professional and personal embarrassment to do the latter on purpose.

The trouble with Lost (of which I have watched every episode, and which I truly look forward to each week) is that the creative tightrope needs to be controlled by one person with a specific vision and a full story arc in mind. The first season was controlled by that person, but subsequent episodes have featured other creative forces who have been told the gist but don't have the subtlety to keep the whole on track. This almost always happens on TV, where the first season may be pitched to the suits but then the unknown duration of what remains causes attention to detail to wain and intensity from the creative force to slack off. That's why the decision in the last few months to run the show for three more seasons to a definite ending makes so much sense.

My wife is afraid we'll never understand the presence of the polar bears. My son thinks we won't be told enough about the black cloud. I most regret the lost intensity from Jack towards Kate. But I think there will be lots of cool moments to come. There is no other show on TV where I regularly find myself suddenly breathing again after a very tense scene. Each show flies by. Can't do much better than that.

cmg
02-08-2008, 08:29 AM
I failed to record last nights episode on my piece of primative technology. Can anyone provide a copy? send me an e-mail. i would of shot Miles.....saw the last 10 minutes.

Steelhead
02-08-2008, 11:16 AM
when the pharmacist turned jack down for his pills, he presented a prescription from his father. This was mentioned after the pharmacist told him that he couldnt prescribe to himself. The pill popping all takes place in the flash forward sections.

Also - in a flash forward scene when Jack gets called out by one of the other doctors as to if he has been drinking, he tells him to go find his father and if he is drunker than his dad, he'll quit (or something like that)

What has happened that makes Jack want to go back so badly - what did he come back to that has spiraled him into a tequila bottle and a bunch of oxycontin. Looks like he cleaned himself up a bit when he went to see Hurley at the mental institution, but even then he had a stiff drink before leaving, and it looked like it was early in the AM.

I think it was Locke in the coffin - he was the one that tried to get them all to stay, and now he is dead. Apparently Kate is OK with going back - and she looks like she has gotten hooked up with some money and has a brand new life.

Steelhead
02-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I mean Kate is Ok with being back in the real world - it appears Jack is the only one so far that wants to go back.

gomez308
02-08-2008, 11:41 AM
I failed to record last nights episode on my piece of primative technology. Can anyone provide a copy? send me an e-mail. i would of shot Miles.....saw the last 10 minutes.
They might play it next thursday. They showed last weeks episode as a repeat last night.

pbel
02-08-2008, 11:53 AM

You can watch all the episodes online at the ABC website.

shinomaster
02-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I mean Kate is Ok with being back in the real world - it appears Jack is the only one so far that wants to go back.

JAck just needs to drink more.

Mikej
02-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Or am I wrong? Who died in Australia, or why was Jack there in the first place?