PDA

View Full Version : Help please: ideas for bike trip in CA

TomP
01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi all,

On a somewhat spur of the moment, my wife and I want to take a week bike vacation towards the end of February. I looked at Hampsten Cycles and they have their trip in Solvang at that time, but it seems like it rains there a lot then. Does anyone have any other ideas where it would be warm and dry in California (or elsewhere) towards the end of February?

Thanks

mosca
01-31-2008, 07:48 PM
There was some discussion here that might help:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=39571

Weather-wise, it's hard to predict. Generally it gets warmer and drier as you go south (well duh...), but the Solvang/Central Coast area shouldn't be too bad then. I'd go with Hampsten and just blame them for any inclement weather. :D

vaxn8r
01-31-2008, 08:03 PM
This is my CA trip every January. Yeah, sometimes it rains but not a drop this year.

http://hutchsbicycleseugene.wordpress.com/

Lanternrouge
01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
There's a lot of great riding in the Sacramento area and east of it, although the weather can be at times uncooperative that time of year.

As far as the weather it concerned, it can be tough to beat the San Diego area. There is some good riding here, but traffic can be a pain until you get out of town.

paczki
01-31-2008, 08:48 PM
I think I'm going to do this. Looks like good, dry fun:

http://www.julianactive.com/tour%20of%20borrego.htm

morty
01-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Borrego Springs can be beautiful this time of year, plus the Julian apple pie isn't so bad either! Have fun.

Buzz
01-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Don't worry about the rain. Go with Hampsten.

Peter B
01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
There's a lot of great riding in the Sacramento area and east of it, although the weather can be at times uncooperative that time of year.

As far as the weather it concerned, it can be tough to beat the San Diego area. There is some good riding here, but traffic can be a pain until you get out of town.

There's lots of great riding here in the foothills east of Sacramento, but February does tend to be wet and cold. It was sunny and beautiful here Monday and 6" of snow fell Tuesday. Mostly sunny again Wednesday, rain and snow today. The Central Coast and points south will tend to be both warmer and drier this time of year. Come this way in April or May and you'll love it!

I've heard good things about Borrego Springs...

Kane
02-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Solvang is a very dry and usually day time warm in February. Check weather.com for some numbers. That's a great place to ride. Michael Jackson moved out of the neighborhood so it's safe for the kids :rolleyes:

Hi all,

On a somewhat spur of the moment, my wife and I want to take a week bike vacation towards the end of February. I looked at Hampsten Cycles and they have their trip in Solvang at that time, but it seems like it rains there a lot then. Does anyone have any other ideas where it would be warm and dry in California (or elsewhere) towards the end of February?

Thanks

Dan Le foot
02-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Borrego Springs can be beautiful this time of year, plus the Julian apple pie isn't so bad either! Have fun.

I agree with Morty.
Best riding this time of year is Borrego Springs. We go there in our motorhome every year for A month.. A number of groups from the colder climates go there for trainning every year.
Very little traffic to contend with and a few big time climbs. Montezuma's grade is 12 miles and 3500' climb.
Dan