PDA

View Full Version : Wheel ideas

majorpat
01-31-2008, 09:19 AM
I need to get some decent (like $350 decent) wheels for a lugged steel, steel fork Viner with an older (2001) Campy Chorus group. I'd like to get simple silver rims without the overblown logos seen on many current wheels. Anybody suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Pat

Too Tall
01-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Pat., good to hear from you :) Take a deep breath and check the Ultegra or Chorus wheels on sale from the big box stores...you know the names. All are decent builds using mavic ops. Can't really beat that for basic.

PS-the bike is doing well, my athlete married a smokin' hot costa rican gal who happens to fit the same frame size.

majorpat
01-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Josh,
Good to hear that rig is still rolling, I wondered.
My only concern is that most of the open pros don't have a campy hub or am I missing something?
Pat

weiwentg
01-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Josh,
Good to hear that rig is still rolling, I wondered.
My only concern is that most of the open pros don't have a campy hub or am I missing something?
Pat

Performance Bike has Open Pros laced to Record hubs.

Edit: just checked, they cost $410. there will likely be discount coupons coming around at some time, though.

97CSI
01-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Colorado Cyclist just quoted me $371 for a pair of Open Pro CDs (black) on Record hubs. The silver OPs should be about $10 or $20 less. I've had three sets of CC built wheels over the past 10+ years and they have all been excellent. You would need to specify the silver hubs or you'll likely get black, as that is what the newest Record hubs are. If you are not trying to do the weight-weenie thing, then Centaur hubs are considerably less and almost the same.

morty
01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Have you looked into the Neuvation wheels? Someone recommended them to me recently as I too am in the market for a set of silver wheels for Campy. Their site lists a sale price of $299 for a set at just 1540 grams (w/o QR). They do have some large logos, but maybe you can get them without. I've also heard the guy stands behind his product and goes out of his way for customer satisfaction.

GMSV35
01-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Check out this guy (Sean). He is a local builder from Denver trying to go big (my team sponsor). All wheel get great reviews. I know he is trying to get rid of 07' stock. You can email him and he will contact you or you can buy direct from the website. Always great customer service. Tell him Thom from Green Mountain Sports sent you.

http://www.rolwheels.com/

davids
01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Mike Garcia of Odds and Endos (http://www.oddsandendos.com/main.sc) might be able to build you something very nice in that price range. It would probably use his house brand 'Speedcific' hubs at that price.

I paid $390 last year for a set made with Velocity Aerohead rims, Speedcific rims and DT Swiss Revo spokes. They're stiff and true, and weigh less than 1500g.

rePhil
01-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Alexi is selling a set of Vento's

Orin
01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Have you looked into the Neuvation wheels? Someone recommended them to me recently as I too am in the market for a set of silver wheels for Campy. Their site lists a sale price of $299 for a set at just 1540 grams (w/o QR). They do have some large logos, but maybe you can get them without. I've also heard the guy stands behind his product and goes out of his way for customer satisfaction.

A little heat and the Neuvation logos peel off... or so the instructions say!

Orin.

majorpat
01-31-2008, 01:18 PM
great info from everyone, looking at some options. Also, has anyone used one of those wheels mfg or american classic conversion cassettes that let you run a campy cassette on a shimano wheel? I appreciate the feedback, I actually saw the sun today in central NY so I started getting excited about my bike.
Pat

SimonC
01-31-2008, 02:44 PM
I'll say up front that I don't know about you, the riding you do, and your preferences. However, I was looking for a set of wheels in the price range you specify, and ended up buying some Mavic Aksiums as a stop-gap. I've ridden them for a few thousand miles now and given up the idea of something more expensive. They do everything I need them to do, look good in the silver (and perhaps better with all the stickers taken off) and I can't say I've noticed the weight, and they cost me about $180

Kane
02-01-2008, 12:23 PM
I vote that you call Gravy of Gravy Wheels at Fairfax Cyclery in Fairfax, CA.
Gravy is a world class wheel builder. He'll help you choose rim, spokes and hubs to match your budget. He built wheels in europe for racing teams for years. He even rides a bike very regularly so he is not just a theoretical builder.

Cheers,

Kane