PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Ventoux

keno
01-31-2008, 07:23 AM
is in my future. My wife and I are going to Provence this summer with a tour company, and an option on one day will be Mt. Ventoux. I plan to do it, and I assume that the usual TdF route will be taken. She plans to shop that day.

For any who have done the route, any preparation thoughts for me? I will use a tour company bike, which I assume from past experience with them that the gearing will be friendly as it was in Tuscany.

"Ventoux can be scaled by road bike from three sides, but the most popular option follows the usual Tour route and starts southwest in Bédoin. From Bédoin, the climb gains 1610 m over 22k for a average grade of 7.6%, but the last 16k average 9.1% giving it a well earned reputation as one of the hardest climbs in Europe. Luckily, the starting elevation is only 300m (1000 ft). Iban Mayo set the Ventoux record of 55'51" during a climbing time trial stage in the 2004 Dauphiné Libéré, and in the spirit of 24-hour extreme sport endurance events, a Frenchman climbed Ventoux eleven times in 24 hours starting from Bédoin in May 2006."

keno

victoryfactory
01-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Iban Mayo set the Ventoux record of 55'51" during a climbing time trial stage in the 2004 Dauphiné Libéré
keno

So you should be sub 1 hour, at least, no?

good luck

VF

PBWrench
01-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Wow! I am extremely jealous. Have a fabulous time but watch out for Phil Liggett who may be painting Lance's name on the pave.

stevep
01-31-2008, 08:02 AM
cool climb/
i did it from the bedoin side as part of the etape one year.
by the time i got to chalet reynold they had closed the road above... it was snowing and they had 700 hypothermia cases.
be ready. nice climb though.
ps. this was mid july.

make sure you ride through the gorge de nesce nearby.

Tom
01-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Things keep getting in the way. I think you're going to be with the same tour company I have been looking at, that text sounds very familiar. Not that I've read their web site at least once a week for the last three or four years or anything. You must give a report! We went on a trip in Majorca with that outfit, they are excellent.

Have a blast. Ride up hills before you go.

thwart
01-31-2008, 08:12 AM
I've enjoyed reading this article in the past, actually saved it. Someday...

Bring a Colnago. :p

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=4531

Smiley
01-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Did you ask what kind of gearing they have on these loaner bikes for you. Very nice and we expect lots of pic's maybe Mrs keno will take the support van and document your climb via video, that would be cool. Best of luck Keno.

Blue Jays
01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Sounds great. Definitely toss armwarmers/legwarmers/gloves/thin jacket in your pockets. Weather on mountaintops can change in an instant.

LegendRider
01-31-2008, 09:25 AM
I started in Carpentras then climbed over Ventoux and came back into town to catch the end of a stage. 50 miles and 3 hours.

rdparadise
01-31-2008, 09:50 AM
with a tour following the tour. It was the rest day so we had the option to do Ventoux. I did it from the Bedoin side as well. The road had recently been repaved so it didn't have any of the former years writing on the pavement which I missed.

The climb for the first 5 miles is not bad, actually enjoyable. I'm not fast on hills and generally took my time. I stopped at the ski station/restuarant before leaving to climb above the tree line for the barren summit. I also stopped at the Tom Simpson memorial where he collapsed and died.

I didn't set any world records and was happy to reach the summit. It was a 90 degree day and at the summit it wasn't much cooler although the winds were noticable. The view to the East was spectacular as I could see the French, Swiss and Italian Alps. What a site!

Take your time and enjoy the climb. Do it at your own pace.

It is epic and I was happy to say I climbed the Queen of the Provence.

Bob

ERDR
01-31-2008, 10:27 AM
about 5 years ago i went with the velosport tour group. we actually went up the non-traditional route, starting from malacene. it was a steady climb, but you just needed to find your groove. most of the guides rode campy 13-29 with a standard crank, although i doubt they really needed that low end. i rode that set up and it was fine. i brought my own bike but their rentals were fujis and looked pretty nice. if velosport is your tour group,i know you will have a great time.
s.

mosca
01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Did it last year, a few pics here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=30040)

We rode from the Bedoin side. It is long and unrelenting but lacks any ultra-steep pitches, so gearing is not super critical imho. I think a 39-27 would be ok, but I had a compact with a 34-27 and was glad to have it, in fact I thought it was the perfect gearing for Ventoux and Provence in general.

We were blessed with great weather on the Ventoux day, hope you are as fortunate. Man, I'm getting jealous just sitting here typing this, cycling in Provence is awesome. Enjoy!

TriJim
01-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Our Sporting Tours group finished a week of cycling with the climb up Mt. Ventoux from Bedoin in August. I thought the lower half (in the forest) was harder; difficult to judge forward progress and no switchbacks to adjust position. Prepare for a fast downhill. Good luck and hope you get the opportunity. :beer:

Elefantino
01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
The most challenging and most rewarding day I've spent on the bike. Beautiful, breathtaking (literally) and satisfying. And the last, right-hand turn to the top is brutal.

Also, 90 degrees at the bottom and a cold 45-50 or so at the top.

The ride down the back side is a blast.

jeffg
01-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Keno,

Where will you be staying?

I have ridden from Beaumes-de-Venise (another site for great wine, including the muscat dessert wine), which gives a nice warm-up and some pretty roads before hitting Bedoin. I can send a route sheet from a ride I did but it is easy to follow.

I have also just started in Bedoin and used the first few kms as a warm-up (I did this when my boys were taking a nap).

All in all, I have done Ventoux from Bedoin four times and from Sault once, and have descended to both Bedoin and Maulacene.

My recommendation is to head out from Beaumes-de-Venise, ascend from Bedoin, descend to Maulaucene and meet your wife in Vaison-La-Romaine for lunch. Vaison is not far at all and is a good cool down.

On the climb itself, I find the key is to pace yourself until the first steep hairpin at St. Esteve (about 5-6 km in). That gives you a chance to gauge heat and how you are feeling, then try to get into a rhythm on the next 10km or so to Chalet Reynard. Each km there is a stone telling you the average gradient of the next km, so there really are no surprises. I find just getting out of the saddle for a few revs when I feel my cadence slowing and getting the cadence back up really helps. The last km before Chalet Reynard flattens out a little and you get out of the forest and can see the "moonscape" ahead of you.

At Chalet Reynard you can top up your water stores, which is generally necessary if it's hot (the last time I did Ventoux I did it at noon on a 95 degree day due to nap constraints), and then the next two kms give you a chance to recover somewhat but the toughest part is certainly behind you.

Take a photo at the top and then take care on the descent since it is easy to hit 50+ mph on the straights and then a hairpin will come up ...

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!! :banana:

Johnnyg
01-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Keno I climbed it from Bedion on a hot July day. I is in the top three rides I have ever done, EPIC for sure. Pick a decent weather day for sure. Lance called Ventoux, "the toughest climb in France" It was for me. I wish you a safe and successful ride of the windy mountain. Enjoy JohnnyG

tys
01-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Awesome ride! I did it in July 2003. Started from our hotel in Vaison-la-Romaine and rode over a small pass to Bedoin then took the usual TDF route up the mountain. The road was still painted from the previous Tour. Came down the same way, but took the left to go through the lavender fields to Sault, where my family was waiting. Didn't keep track of the time, but felt great the whole time. One of my best days ever on the bike! There's a little restaurant maybe half way up, and more snacks available at the top (I love that about France!) Perfect weather, quite warm, and lots of cyclists on the road. I can't wait to go back! :beer: