PDA

View Full Version : Favorite helmet? and why?

scottcw
08-17-2004, 08:15 AM
What is your fav helmet for road riding and why - fit? weight? vent system? cool factor? durability?

eddief
08-17-2004, 08:30 AM
With the exception of not having the hard shell on the lower rear of the helmet, I could not tell the difference between this model and Ghisallo. Colorado Cyclist had it for $40. Lots of big vents, within grams of Ghisallo, and fits my head. Giros don't fit my shape.

Bruce K
08-17-2004, 08:34 AM
I like my Giro Pneumo. Comfortable, cool (temperature-wise) and not too pricey. I couldn't see the benefit vs. cost for the Atmos.

I was looking at the Lazer Blade and it looks rather interesting. I might give it a try when my Pneumo comes due for replacement.

BK

Ozz
08-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Because the colors match my bike :)

Lightweight, nice ventilation, easy adjustments, and it is different from every other helmet on the road.

It is a bit pricey and can be tough to find to try on to assure good fit.

saab2000
08-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Helmet? What's that?

Seriously, ...... Skid Lid!! Nothin' better! Believe it or not, I actually saw someone wearing one a few weeks back. :D

vaxn8r
08-18-2004, 12:49 AM
I've usually tended toward Giro and they are good enough. Bell is about the same to me. However, the best fitting helmet I've ever used is my new, this year, Specialized. Perfect!

Tom Robison
08-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Because Giro is the only helmet I've found that fits my large melon. Tried others, Bell, Limar etc and they don't.

zap
08-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Top of the line Louis Garneau. I started wearing those lids when LG sponsored a team I was on 5 years ago and we got those freebies :banana:

I was surprised how well they fit. My Giro is still sitting on the shelf. Shortly after our Tandem crash that killed our helmets, we were in Toronto and bought more. Same price as in the States, but factor in the exchange rate at the time, we got a 35% discount.

Len J
08-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Because the colors match my bike :)

Lightweight, nice ventilation, easy adjustments, and it is different from every other helmet on the road.

It is a bit pricey and can be tough to find to try on to assure good fit.

My reason is simple, it fits. I had a Giro but my head is long and narrow & I could never get the Giro to fit. Limar fits like a glove.

Len

Climb01742
08-18-2004, 10:06 AM
i second the specialized. well vented, comfy and to be shallow, somewhat smallish shape, so it doesn't seem like i'm wearing the box the helmet came in. ;)

BikerGrl
08-19-2004, 05:46 PM
A third for Specialized (and inexpensive too). Read the "crash tests" and right up near the top as opposed to some pricer ones.

pries
08-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Bells fit me better than Giros. Never tried the Limar. I think my current
one is Ghisallo, but a had a Phi a couple of years back that I liked before
the pads wore out. I notice Performance still has some of those in stock
for a lot less $.

I like the ratchet adjusters as it is fairly easy to get a good fit, 'cause I
sometime wrap a bandanna over my head (since it blocks the sun from
my balding head and soaks up the sweat pretty well), so it is nice to be
able to adjust quickly if I'm not wearing one for a short ride.

I'm sure other top helmets have similar easy adjustments, but the Bell
system works well for me.

Bottom line: try them on..if they don't fit right you'll be spending a lot of
hours with somthing uncomfortable on your head. What works for me may
not work for you.

Good luck and hope you never need to use one!
-Paul

jackimig
08-19-2004, 07:02 PM
For good ventilation look at the helmet from the inside to be sure the vents line up vertically. After that fit is the key ,along with adjusability.

bostondrunk
08-19-2004, 07:24 PM
the drunkard votes for specialized. sub6, then the newer one (s1?). Cause it fits, and doesn't look as wide on the head.

jerk
08-19-2004, 09:27 PM
the jerk votes for an old polti team cap with the middle cut out......(now this is sure to rile some feathers.)

jerk