PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Q tech question

PoppaWheelie
01-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh Fork Gurus;

I have an Alpha Q fork that I've been using for a few years. The compression insert has obviously been expoxied-in. It's been cut down in the past, and I'd like to now further cut the steerer significanly (2cm) which would make the cut-line correspond about 5mm above the top cap anchor threads of the insert plug, as viewed from the top of the fork steerer.

Do any of you know if the Alpha plug extends BELOW the threading? If not, and I cut it, then my stem will be clamping on to un-reinforced carbon, which is a no-no. The steerer has been cut twice in the past, and I can't remember how deep the insert originally might have been.

Follow-up: If need be, can you remove an epoxied insert? I fear maybe not. I see from the Inter-Web that I can buy a new insert, but that's obviously no good to me if I can't get the old one out without a machine shop or Mad Dremel Skillz.

A new fork isn't a great option either...this one is painted to match my frame.

Many thanks...any thoughts are appreciated...

Steve Hampsten
01-30-2008, 03:31 PM
those plugs are about 100mm long when new - you do the math

PoppaWheelie
01-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah, but math is hard.

Now if I only knew how long my steerer was when the insert was first installed, then cut, then cut again, we'd be in business...

Thx for the info though...it'll get me in the ballpark.

Dave
01-30-2008, 04:22 PM
If you've got the 100mm support tube, the starnut can only be driven down about 2cm below the original position.

When new, the total length of steerer above the upper headset bearing should not exceed 8cm. If it does, the support tube was never installed properly (unless it was a longer 125mm version).

The starnut only has to be deep enough to avoid hitting the top cap, so it would be wise to help the situation by using a 3-5mm spacer on top of the stem. You can always get a shorter top cap bolt if necessary.

The worst that can happen if the star nut is driven too deep, is it falls to the bottom of the steeer and a new one has to be driven in. I no longer have one of these forks and never measured the ID of the support tube, but there is the possibility that a compression plug could be installed.

You might be able to bend a short hook at the end on a small diameter wire, insert it through the star nut threaded hole and try to feel for the bottom of the support tube. One warning though. Some of the support tubes have an increased ID near the bottom, so even though there is a tube there, it might be too large on the ID for the star nut to grasp.

PoppaWheelie
01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh wait a minute...yeah, that makes perfect sense...I was thinking (should have looked this AM before opening my big mouth here) that the threads were integral to the insert...but you're right, there's a star nut in there. I can probaby suss this out with a coat hanger and flashlight. Duh..ok, going back to sleep now...

Thanks Dave -

Fivethumbs
01-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I was able to remove my epoxied in alloy insert from my Alpha Q GS10. Unfortunately it wasn't supposed to happen. All I did was preload the headset a little too much and all of a sudden, POP, it broke loose. I sanded off the old epoxy and re-epoxied it back in so now it's okay.

nicrump
01-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Dont do it! your new fork will ship soon.

Oh wait a minute...yeah, that makes perfect sense...I was thinking (should have looked this AM before opening my big mouth here) that the threads were integral to the insert...but you're right, there's a star nut in there. I can probaby suss this out with a coat hanger and flashlight. Duh..ok, going back to sleep now...

Thanks Dave -