PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Ottrott

mso
01-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I asked the seller of this Ottrott for the SN. Seller will NOT give it out. What's tha all about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220196839748

Ahneida Ride
01-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Pictures s**k too. Buyer beware.

dirtclub
01-30-2008, 05:25 PM
i am pretty sure that the bike is not from 2004. it has older lugs and carbon weave.

SoCalSteve
01-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Buyer beware is correct on this one!

Anyone not willing to give a serial number is hiding something, for sure...

Just sayin'

Stee

ti_boi
01-30-2008, 05:40 PM
U want I should send some people over there to 'talk' wit him..... :bike:

SoCalSteve
01-30-2008, 06:42 PM
I also wrote and asked for the serial number...This was his response:

Goodafternoon. I will release the SN to the new owner of this bike. As far as the specs on this bike, this is a stock geometry Ottrott from 2004. I can give you all of the measurements of the bike as there is no Serotta worksheet to go along with this bike. The SN will not be very helpful in this matter.

I think we should take action with ebay, police, etc...

I am not sure I know how to start the process, any suggestions...

Thanks,

Steve

Dan Le foot
01-30-2008, 06:58 PM
I also wrote and asked for the serial number...This was his response:

Goodafternoon. I will release the SN to the new owner of this bike. As far as the specs on this bike, this is a stock geometry Ottrott from 2004. I can give you all of the measurements of the bike as there is no Serotta worksheet to go along with this bike. The SN will not be very helpful in this matter.

I think we should take action with ebay, police, etc...

I am not sure I know how to start the process, any suggestions...

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve.
He told me that of all the Serotta's he sold over the years I was the very 1st to ask for a serial number. I pointed out a 58/58 was not stock geometry.
This was his latest email.
Dan

"Goodafternoon. It is a 58cm frame and it is a stock geometry frame. The top tube is 58cm center to center. Talking to Serotta just confuses the issue. It is a crap shoot getting someone from Serotta to actually know anything about previous year models. Good luck. Thank you."

SoCalSteve
01-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey Steve.
He told me that of all the Serotta's he sold over the years I was the very 1st to ask for a serial number. I pointed out a 58/58 was not stock geometry.
This was his latest email.
Dan

"Goodafternoon. It is a 58cm frame and it is a stock geometry frame. The top tube is 58cm center to center. Talking to Serotta just confuses the issue. It is a crap shoot getting someone from Serotta to actually know anything about previous year models. Good luck. Thank you."

I sent a fradulent claim report to ebay. Not sure what else to do...

Either the bike is stolen or there is no bike at all. That can be the only 2 explanations for his refusal to give up a serial number.

Hopefully ebay will take action.

Anyone else have any other ideas????

Just askin'

Steve

Sandy
01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I would not buy that bike from him, no matter the price.

Sandy

Frankwurst
01-30-2008, 07:09 PM
I just told him I would like the serial # because in the past I've purchased Serottas and the serial # was helpful for Serotta in providing me with info concerning the bike I was interested in. We'll se what his response is to this one. :beer:

Frankwurst
01-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I sent a fradulent claim report to ebay. Not sure what else to do...

Either the bike is stolen or there is no bike at all. That can be the only 2 explanations for his refusal to give up a serial number.

Hopefully ebay will take action.

Anyone else have any other ideas????

Just askin'

Steve

Seems like the best action to take IMHO.

Redturbo
01-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Seems to me the dude has good feed back selling bike stuff. I could also see not giving out a ser# ,cause if you wanted to steal the pic for a bogus listing later the ser# would help your scammo.
What if it's not fraud. You just screwed this dude.
That said I would give a ser# if asked.

just saying ;)

SoCalSteve
01-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Seems to me the dude has good feed back selling bike stuff. I could also see not giving out a ser# ,cause if you wanted to steal the pic for a bogus listing later the ser# would help your scammo.
What if it's not fraud. You just screwed this dude.That said I would give a ser# if asked.

just saying ;)

Innocent until proven guilty in the U S of A! If its NOT a scam, then he will be able to prove it and he wont be screwed through ebay...I am not the ebay police (even though I play one on TV) all I did was notify them that something "didnt smell right"...thats all.

Just sayin'

Steve

rbtmcardle
01-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Looks like someone took the pics in a bike shop at night with the lights off, hmm, doesnt seem to fishy to me :eek:

jimcav
01-30-2008, 09:58 PM
i once sold my c40 hp on ebay, months later, i was looking for a set of wheels like those i sold with the bike--put in the search, poof up came my old bike--except it was exactly my bike--my photos in my basement with my description. ebay did nothing because i couldn't provide the old item number. luckily the guy i sold it to had the number.
they make their money via sales, not protecting buyers. they only take down the blatant copywrite stuff quickly.

jim

BumbleBeeDave
01-30-2008, 10:10 PM
. . . That's south of Albany about 14 miles from me. Here is the photo that shows the most background, lightened as much as I can in Photoshop without making it fall apart. The wall paneling and carpet look like Steiner's Sports in Delmar, but I can't be absolutely sure, as I haven't been into Steiner's in quite some time. Steiner's is a Serotta dealer. There are also bikes in the background that appear to be from Specialized (red and white frame at center) and from Bianchi (cleste saddle at left). Specialized lists Steiner's as a dealer on their web site. CycleOps does not. I can't find any way on the Bianchi web site to find a dealer list. Steiner's web site does not seem to list all the brands they sell.

Perhaps other forum members from the Albany area can take a look at this and see if the shop background looks familiar.

BBD

T-Crush
01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Send him an email indicating that since he won't provide the SN, to be safe you will bid to win only if he'll accomodate local pick-up where you'll hand him a pile of cash. While not conclusive, if he doesn't have the bike, he'll certainly say no or ignore your request. Even if he does it doesn't mean it's not stolen though.

Frankwurst
01-31-2008, 06:13 AM
asking for the serial # so I could take it to the folks at Serotta and they could provide me with information concerning this frame.

Goodafternoon. Thank you for your interest. I am not sure where you would take that SN for information, but I could provide you with all of the same information. I will give the SN to the new owner of this bike. Thank you for your time and good luck in the auction.

saab2000
01-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Just be blunt. Tell him there is reason to believe it could be a fraudulent auction and you would like him to demonstrate otherwise.

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2008, 07:04 AM
The bike was obviously photographed in a bike shop. Is this guy an employee? Customer? if he knows anything about bikes, he would know why you would want the SN. He should especially be familiar with Serotta if he's knowledgeable and he's really in Delmar--less than 30 miles from the factory.

I would suggest going to Steiner's Sports web site and e-mail them with a link and a question as to what they may know about this "local" bike. After all, you don't see an Ottrott riding around suburban Albany every day.

BBD

mso
01-31-2008, 08:41 AM
This Ottrott and another 54CM now selling (2hrs left) both look like 2002 models ,however, they quote 2004 and 2005 as model years. In 2003 Serotta changed the position of the cable guard, correct? Looks like it moved from the Ti lug to the carbon. Both of the above bikes have cable guards on the Ti lug...2002?

Nothing wrong with a 2002 model but sellers need to be honest!