PDA

View Full Version : DeKonick's TDF pics - Round 1

va rider
08-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Dekonick asked me to post these pics for him. He will have to post the stories behind them.

va rider
08-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Here are a few more... DeKonick is the guy standing next to the guy on the bike in the first pic. I told him to leave his spiderman pajamas at home...

va rider
08-16-2004, 08:25 PM
And a few more....

va rider
08-16-2004, 08:30 PM
I asked Mike which guy is he in the pictures, he said the good lookin' one.

va rider
08-16-2004, 08:38 PM
And, a few more...
p.s. I'm still looking for the good looking guy.

va rider
08-16-2004, 08:40 PM
The last set for now...

Dekonick
08-17-2004, 05:19 AM
LoL - I wish I were in any of these pics - I couldnt go because of work conflicts. These pics were taken by two friends whe were able to go...lucky bastards.

There are some good stories to go with them too! -

VA - thannks again for assistance with the re-size. :beer:

va rider
08-17-2004, 07:59 AM
sure you didn't go spidy ;)

p.s. my pleasure

Dekonick
08-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Some information about the pictures:

The switchback you see is a pic taken when Donald and Frank (two friends) had climbed the Alpe D'huez to watch the TT - They got to the top, and a bystander told them that they could get a better vantage if they sat on top of a phone booth. They climbed on top, and sat - waiting for the TT to start. Just when the TT had started, Donald noted his bibs were now impregnated with fiberglass - and proceeded to itch. Frank soon found he had the same problem! They tried to deal with it, but after only the third racer had crossed the finish, Donald decided he couldnt take it anymore and needed to change. Obviously at this point, they couldnt go down the normal way - as the TT was in progress - so they asked a Gendarme (cop) for directions. He told them a back way out which they took - the picture is of that road they had to take. The descent was so steep in area's their brakes were barely working. Frank told me that that road was much harder than the Alpe D'huez's normal road. They did approx 80+ miles that day in the alpes to get back to the hotel to change! They were bummed they missed the TT, but they did get to see roads less traveled! :bike:

Dekonick
08-17-2004, 01:27 PM
The pic with the bike shop is interesting - Donald is shaking hands with this shop owner. Donald just opened his own shop in Baltimore less than a year ago - He used to be the Manager of the Catonsville Bike Shop.

Information on his shop (just figured I would give him a plug - he is a great guy. Honest, hard working, and - really, really ugly... J/K bout the ugly part)

His shop is located in fells point, on Fleet Street. He is an Orbea dealer - and carries Jamis, Raleigh, Santa Cruz, mmm and a few others I cant remember. Being a city shop, he does alot of business (most of it) in cruisers, msngr bikes, BMX, MTN bikes. Ya gotta go where the business is...and thats where the demand is right now. For some interesting pics of crazy teens jumping off and doing stupid things check out www.fleetstreetcycles.com

ok - plug over...

The pics of Team T. are neat - US Postal rode to their hotel in a bus after the last stage. Telekom rode their bikes from the finish to the hotel. Cool eh? Jan was really nice to everyone... so was Kloden. :beer:

Wish I could have been there.... (hides the spiderman outfit)