PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex pave clincher opinions

amator
01-29-2008, 07:04 PM
i intended to spring for some Michelin Pro2 race in 23 and LBS recommended these Pave clinchers; they only come in 700 x22 though.
Im not sure how much comfort will be lost compared to say the 23 pro race.

They have been described as having Low rolling resistance, ride comfort and low weight. the weight isnt the highest concern but good rolling, supple and comfortable are.
Do they actually run wide and are actually similar to a 23 or even wider?

witcombusa
01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
No, they do not run wide...at all. They do have a nice supple casing and hum almost like a good tubular. Comfortable? Well that depends on what your used to. Anything at 100 plus psi is never going to feel like a 650B x 38 tire at 60 psi (my idea of comfortable!). All said though, a nice performance tire.

dirtdigger88
01-29-2008, 07:51 PM
I'd pick a Veloflex over a PR2 any day

and I think the PR2s are decent tires

Jason

GregL
01-29-2008, 08:29 PM
The Veloflex Paves are great race tires. They ride well for their fairly small air volume, grip well, are light weight, and are reasonably durable. However, I would not recommend them for an "everyday" training tire. Their light weight comes from a thin tread and sidewalls. They won't survive road debris that a heavier tire (like a PR2 or Krylion) will shrug off. I save my Paves for race days.

Regards,
Greg

stevep
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
lotta flats on the open road.
no " protection" of the tube.
easy to puncture

TAW
01-29-2008, 08:50 PM

Jason

I agree. My experience has been that the Veloflex are nicer riding than the PR2, but tend to cut more easily. For me, nothing beats Vredestein Tri Comps. But that may be just me.

rustychisel
01-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I'd go for 'em, but I use them for everyday tyres mostly as the roads around here are pretty good. I have no good stories about Michelin, which cut through the carcass almost immediately.
As said, they're supple, they roll really well, I don't have too many puncture problems but they're a @#$%%#%!#% to put on at first. Oh, and they're a genuine 22c, so noticably smaller than ProRace2.

PBWrench
01-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I've had very good luck with Paves. The Gommitalia Targa is essentially the same tire as well. Tough to put on, but they ride really well. I've had no trouble with puncture durability, but the rear rarely lasts for more than 3K.

thwart
01-29-2008, 11:16 PM
but they're a @#$%%#%!#% to put on at first
I think you've understated it somewhat... at least on Campy rims.

mgm777
01-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Veloflexes ride smooth and supple, but prone to lots of flats. Much nicer ride than the Michi PR2s, IMHO, but not nearly as durable.

Johnnyg
01-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Veloflex are the closest thing to a sewup ride you can get. A smooooth ride. Enjoy JohnnyG

davids
01-30-2008, 09:09 AM
They're my second favorite clincher, behind the Pro2 Race Service Courses, and ahead of the plain ol' Pro2 Race.

I'm looking forward to trying the Pro3 Races soon, but I'll keep using the Veloflex Paves on certain bikes until Michelin makes a gumwall version of the Pro# Race. Because looks matter too, atmo.

sg8357
01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
For bigger tires the Gran Bois are very good, 26,28 and 30 size.
Light casings, no puncture protection.
A long time tubie user said the 26s were the best thing short of
Clements.

T-Crush
01-30-2008, 09:44 AM
As others have said, they ride great, wear well enough and I've had no issues with flats (1 in 3k miles) and I'm not a small dude (6-4, 240).

They've gone from my "event" tire to my everyday tire to my everyday tire on every bike, with no regrets.

ClutchCargo
01-30-2008, 09:58 AM
they are a great tyre -- very supple, corner well and will give you a nice ride. I had good luck with them flat-wise, but the CT/NY roads I ride on are generally in good shape. mine have not lasted all that long -- 1800 miles or so on the back, but that is as advertised. in my view you are paying for quality of ride rather than durability with these tyres. that all said, I like the Michelins, too. I would go for whichever is a better deal.

p.s. I did not have a problem mounting them on Aerohead rims.

good luck!

jmewkill
01-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I liked the veloflex clinchers, but every flat was due to a sidewall cut.

the tubulars on the other hand last and last.

merckx
01-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Paves are too narrow. They need a 23mm-24mm option.

saab2000
01-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I like my Veloflex Pave tires and would recommend them. I have had good experiences with them WRT to flats. What I find is that the rubber compound does not pick up a lot of grit and hold on to it, which is the cause of many flats.

I have not tried too many others and have not have Michelin in years. I have also tried the Vittoria Open CX and found it to be essentially the same as the Veloflex. The Vittorias have gotten better in recent years IMHO. When they first moved production to Thailand they were not nearly as good. Now they are better.

Vittorias are available in the 700x25 size.

My Veloflex Pavés have been good and I recommend them.

merckx
01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I like my Veloflex Pave tires and would recommend them. I have had good experiences with them WRT to flats. What I find is that the rubber compound does not pick up a lot of grit and hold on to it, which is the cause of many flats.

I have not tried too many others and have not have Michelin in years. I have also tried the Vittoria Open CX and found it to be essentially the same as the Veloflex. The Vittorias have gotten better in recent years IMHO. When they first moved production to Thailand they were not nearly as good. Now they are better.

Vittorias are available in the 700x25 size.

My Veloflex Pavés have been good and I recommend them.

I have used the Paves for several years. Never had any problems with them either. I just was interested in a little fatter profile, not much bigger, but a bit. I have been using the Open Evo CX in 25mm. They are just what I was missing.

Cheers,
Bill

coloclimber
01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
With clinchers you woudn't have to ride it right away!
This came on my Roubaix tubular-
http://i30.tinypic.com/2my2c7m.jpg

93legendti
01-30-2008, 03:46 PM

Jason
Same here. I have them on most of my wheels.

HSG Racer
01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Wonderful tires! They are very supple as others have said. However, they have a significantly higher rolling resistance when compared to PR2s if that matters to you. They have a respectively low Crr but not as low as PR2s. They are also not nearly as durable as PR2s. I used them for several years for short rides but they puncture too often for my taste.

Another thing to note is that they are really easy to take off and put back on the rim. No tools needed and they just come right off with minimal effort. This is generally not true for PR2s which can sometimes require a tool to place back on the rim. This could come in handy since IME the Paves puncture much easier than the PR2s.

cmg
01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
nice riding tires that are light. I had both the front and rear tire give up the fiber bead. It came unglued while i was riding. Saw the tire get a pimple on the front, then pop. rear did it later, about 60 miles later. i've had about 4 sets of Pave's, but the rest just wore out at about 1200 miles. mich. race 2 or conti 4000 are my replacements.

amator
01-31-2008, 12:20 AM
I have used the Paves for several years. Never had any problems with them either. I just was interested in a little fatter profile, not much bigger, but a bit. I have been using the Open Evo CX in 25mm. They are just what I was missing.

Cheers,
Bill

Yes, I wish they had 23's or 25's.
Put them on anyway at 110psi rear and 100 front, abit harsher than vresdestiein fortessa tricomps which they replaced. Still havent gone for a longish ride but did feel more road vibrations through my butt.