PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Aliante models

wasfast
01-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I've been riding Fizik Aliante's for the last 3 years. I have 3 of the Carbon top /Ti rail versions. I never considered the carbon railed version as I previously was over the weight limit.

In addition to those 2 models, we now have the Sport and Gamma models which use a different molding material for the carbon. I also notice that probikekit.com has a Delta model, complete with different logo. This version isn't on the Fizik site either.

Lastly, they've replaced the Ti rails with K'ium(what ever that is) due to cost, or so I've heard.

1) Basic question #1 , how much different are the Gamma models from the carbon version? Who's compared them side by side in a ride test?

2) What's the Delta all about?

Steve Hampsten
01-29-2008, 11:50 AM
1 - I've ridden the carbon and the non-carbon bodied versions and the non-carbon feels harsher to my tender tush. But it could have been the bike/wheels/tires/breakfast

2 - Beat me

K'ium is chrome moly steel, supposedly weighs the same as the ti rails

PaulE
01-29-2008, 02:33 PM
and just bought two of the deltas from Probikekit for 2 of my other bikes. One of these deltas has magnesium rails and the other has Ti rails. The black underside of these deltas is either plastic or nylon instead of carbon, but they both have the same white mesh visible in the center of the underside, just like the carbon saddle with Ti rails does. Dimensionally they all look the same size within a couple of mm's. I haven't installed or ridden on the two deltas yet. The cost of the two from Probikekit was about the same as the cost of the other one I bought, and the colors were right, so I took a chance.

Simon Q
01-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I have one with the original carbon rails (wrapped in metal) and a Ti and I can't tell the difference. if anything, the Ti may have better spring/suspension. not sure which way I would go now. Maybe carbon because it looks tricky.

I think it false economy to go for the budget models. My friends have bought and ditched them and I have tried them. The key to the Aliante is the carbon and kevlar shell which is only on the top models.

thwart
01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
I think it false economy to go for the budget models. I'd have to politely disagree.

I have Aliante Sport models (one has ti rails, the other a variant of chrome-moly) on 2 different bikes and they're very comfy---even up to century distances. I'd consider them one of the best examples of spending your bike money wisely.

Of course, it could be my big butt as well... :rolleyes:

Viper
01-29-2008, 06:00 PM
It's all about the curve atmo. I road an Aliante for a season, great saddle, but I gave it up for the Arione. I like to squirm around, the Arione gives me room/space. I'd view the Arione as the Arione due to it's shape for your arse; the rest is a gimmick for weight weenies and your debit card to discuss. :D

Pete Serotta
01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Saddles are are so so personal - - based on riding style, *** size ;) , personal cushion material that fills that size, and the pressure points >>>all equal a saddle that is right for one person in not right for the other.

I can not tell the difference between Ti and Carbon one, except for the price. yes I have plenty of cushion material.

I just recently tried an ARIONE and really like it. SPOKES dislikes his, so I hope to get a good price on his, for my other bike. I offered him a glass of red (no he does not drink). SO maybe I will get the saddle and the glass of red :D :D

bostondrunk
01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Buy a San Marco Regal and be done with it!! :)
Or a Rolls, close second to the Regal.

Pete Serotta
01-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Buy a San Marco Regal and be done with it!! :)
Or a Rolls, close second to the Regal.

these work well too.... Richard Sachs even has red, white, and blue one for sale on his site. This one works well for me, as does the Alianti and Arione

navclbiker
01-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Wasn't the original question about similarities/differences in actual ride between the various configurations of the Aliante? :no: I have the "G" on my touring bike and the Carbon on my CDA. My A** cannot feel any difference. :banana: I bought the higher price for the carbon for the dual-tone white for my upscale bike. They are both great. Going less expensive is not a cop-out. :beer:
-Dave

Erik.Lazdins
01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I have 2 Aliante Ti saddles and like them - I would like to know if the more budget friendly models ride the same - what are the tradeoffs if any?

+1 to the original post :beer:

navclbiker
01-29-2008, 07:58 PM
I have 2 Aliante Ti saddles and like them - I would like to know if the more budget friendly models ride the same - what are the tradeoffs if any?

+1 to the original post :beer:
Yes...they ride the same. :beer:

Simon Q
01-29-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd have to politely disagree.

I have Aliante Sport models (one has ti rails, the other a variant of chrome-moly) on 2 different bikes and they're very comfy---even up to century distances. I'd consider them one of the best examples of spending your bike money wisely.

That's great if they work for you becuase the carbon shell Aliante is hardly a cheap saddle. They weren't butt hatchets, just that the top of the line model was better for me and the two mates who traded up. Have you tried the carbon shell ones?

thwart
01-29-2008, 08:38 PM
No. I figured if the Sport is comfortable (for me), then why would I want to spend somewhere around a dollar a gram more for one of those pricey, top end, lighter models? It's not even rotating weight.

That's cash best used on wheels or a frame... atmo.

One of those areas where everyone has different priorities... and depth of pocketbook.

michael white
01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
why would I want to spend somewhere around a dollar a gram more for one of those pricey, top end, lighter models? .

because they are really special?
That's what I think. I mean, I know. they are.

But I haven't tried the cheap ones.

DarrenCT
01-29-2008, 09:01 PM
i got a carbon/ti model on rbr for 90 bux new.

def more comfy then the toupe imho

thwart
01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Darren, that's a helluva price. Then carbon starts to make sense...

DarrenCT
01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Darren, that's a helluva price. Then carbon starts to make sense...

someone posted the link on the classifieds here and i jumped on it.

thank them :)

Bob Ross
01-30-2008, 08:19 AM
I think it false economy to go for the budget models. My friends have bought and ditched them and I have tried them. The key to the Aliante is the carbon and kevlar shell which is only on the top models.

I have Aliante Sport models (one has ti rails, the other a variant of chrome-moly) on 2 different bikes and they're very comfy---even up to century distances.

Another polite disagree-er here: I've been riding on an Aliante Sport MG that came stock on my Cannondale for close to two years now, and it's by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever had the pleasure of planting my butt on. Every time I'm tempted to try one of the swankier Aliantes I have to remind myself of the old If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It mantra.

I'm almost tempted to peruse eBay and harvest all the Sport MGs I can, because if this saddle ever kicks the bucket I may have to buy some carbon/kevlar bling to replace it!

dekindy
01-30-2008, 08:55 AM

The Sport model was spec'd on my Fierte when I purchased it. I have ridden it 4,500 miles in the last year including the RAIN(162-mile one day ride across Indiana) and have found it comfortable. It was good after the initial fitting and I strived for even a better fit and achieved it when my fitter tweaked the position slightly. It is really dialed in now.

I was considering a more expensive model. After seeing many comments like this, I am content with riding it until it wears out and making a decision then.