PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fork damage

LegendRider
08-16-2004, 08:43 AM
I crashed my Legend Ti with Kestrel OS EMS fork in a crit this weekend. Actually, two guys dumped in front of me and I ran over them without going down. It was kinda fun to ride over a Cannondale with only one dab!

Anyway, as I was putting the bike on the rack, I noticed four gouges in the fork about two inches above the dropouts. They go through the clearcoat and into the carbon just a little. How can I assess whether or not the fork needs to be replaced?

bostondrunk
08-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Sell it on ebay (some people will buy anything,,,,) and buy a new one.

TimD
08-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Good to hear the rider is OK.

I suggest you cut the blades in half with a hacksaw, which will remove any doubt as to whether you need to replace the fork. Do you really want to wonder whether it is going to fail while descending at 45 MPH?

BD's burpings notwithstanding, there are a few components which probably should never be bought or sold used, including damaged carbon components and handlebars.

My $0.04 (everything is more expensive in Serottaland :))
TimD

dbrk
08-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Dinging a steel fork is one thing but damaging carbon is another. I am not of the safety-above-all school of cycling but this is not something even I would mess with. Cut it up into Christmas tree ornaments and sell _those_ on eBay...

dbrk

bostondrunk
08-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Dinging a steel fork is one thing but damaging carbon is another. I am not of the safety-above-all school of cycling but this is not something even I would mess with. Cut it up into Christmas tree ornaments and sell _those_ on eBay...

dbrk

Thats what I meant, make it into something else <burP> and then sell it.
How about using it as a custom back scratcher?

Bruce K
08-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Backscrathcer? Hmmm......

Interesting thought, but those carbon splinters are deadly!!

Dump that puppy and get a new one.

BK

zap
08-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Ditto.

David Kirk
08-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Into the dumpster it goes.

Dave

Dekonick
08-16-2004, 10:06 AM
I wouldnt risk my life on it. Pavement hurts!

va rider
08-16-2004, 12:33 PM
If Captain Kirk says dump it, then there's your answer.

Complete failure of a carbon fork is not something you will like.