PDA

View Full Version : How do I train for a 150 mile ride?

MallyG
01-02-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm signed up for 'l'etape in July - that's 150 miles over one of the toughest stages of the 2004 tour de france. It's also time-controlled (fall below the required average speed and you are OUT!)
So, how do I get myself in shape for the event?
Currently I'm doing my normal winter programme of 40 miles on a sunday morning,augmented by some running and gym work. What do you suggest for the next six months?:help: :help:

chuck
01-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Mally, as you know training includes a host of things on and off bike - too much to try and cover in a brief reply. Here's a link to the Ultramarathon Cycling Ass'n page on training - hope it helps:

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/training.html

Chuck

MarinRider
01-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Got good news and bad news for you.

The good news is that the French Alps have some of the best scenery and road conditions for bicycling in the world. If you go during Tour time, the roads are crowded with cyclists from all over the world and it's easy to make good friends who you don't know how to communicate verbally with.

Here is the bad news (or the real good news depending on your temperment). Riding in the French Alps is hard. There is a lot of climbing. In fact, you will spend most of the day climbing. Depending on the route you take, you can easily do 20,000+ feet of climbing within 150 miles. One of my favor loop is to ride from Boug d'Oisan over col de Gladon/ Crox de Fer, down and up Telegraph, up and up over Galibier, down back to B d'Oisan then continue on to Alpe d'Huez. 110 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing which is shorter than an epic Tour mountain stage.

Mentally you have to be ready for sustained long climbs. Most French climbs are around 15 - 20 km long. Many are around 30 km. Few famous climbs are over 40 km long (that is 25 miles of continuous climbing). I live and ride in the Bay Area and I am still shocked by how long the climbs are in Europe every year I visit.

To train, pile on a lot of mileage. Riding 150 miles in the Fench Alps is probably more difficult than riding 250 mile on flats, in a pack. Obviously ride a lot of mountains and hills, seek them out and ride them. When I lived in Boston, I used to ride out to Mount Wachusetts to get 4 miles of sustained climbing, then ride back. Learn how to eat and drink over a 12 hour period on the bike. Ride in cold, hot, raining, and snowing conditions. In short, ride.

Get a lot of gears. Unless you are strong, a good climber, and/or foolish, get Alpine Double or even Triple for your bike. It's one thing to ride over a 20 km climb in a 23, and quite another to do 5 of them in 150 miles.

Most importantly, enjoy, anticipate and believe in yourself. It's hard but it will be breath taking and memories will last you a life time.

Good luck!

victork
01-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Sounds like a great goal. I had a similar one last year (RAMROD) and while being very nervous prior to the event, found the accomplishment to be the most satisfying of 2003. I wish you the best. I prepared by getting out 4 times on 80 - 100 mile rides ascending mountain passes a minimum of three times. After the second trip, I felt confident enough for my event based upon the reserves I had after. I wasn't ready for a sustained climb until after the second mountain ride even after having 2000 miles.

slowgoing
01-03-2004, 09:41 AM
be sure to figure out what kind of food and how much of it you will need to sustain your output without bonking and that will not upset your stomach. For me, the higher effort or the longer the distance, the more sensitive my stomach becomes, particularly after hours 6-8, so the choices are limited. There is no substitute for having done rides of similar distance and effort, at least once, just to figure out what works food-wise.

oracle
01-03-2004, 03:58 PM
you must do lots of LSD:banana: :eek: :banana: lots of 70-90 milers below your threshold.

oracle

Orin
01-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Only one ride a week? You need at least three. Then you need to start stretching out that Sunday ride...

Unless you need to run for other reasons, ride instead.

Try to find the book: "The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling". There are training schedules for up to 200 miles. I'd suggest the 200 mile schedule, but you can probably drop the two shortest rides. I have never done anything close to one of those schedules - usually three rides a week for me, 25 to 35 miles each of Tuesday and Thursday nights and 50 to 120 on Sunday depending on the time of year. It works for me - I mix in longer rides at the weekend - doing 100k, 200k 300k brevets, a fleche and RAMROD last year. The same plus STP (200 miles) and another complete brevet series the previous year.

It will be difficult for you to find sustained climbs in the UK and you really want a mountain pass or two under your belt. If you were further north, I'd suggest rides back and forth across the Pennines, though you are only likely to get two or three thousand feet of climbing in each way, depending on how rolling the route is.

You need to learn to pace yourself as much as anything. Use low gears climbing even if you normally mash the big gears. (It's how I got through the brevets in 2002.) Set your own pace. Ignore those around you (especially those that pass you).

(For those doing RAMROD, pacing is particularly important as the climbing starts 60 miles into the ride. Many get in groups that are too fast for these first miles and burn themselves out before the climbing!)

Starting a brevet series - up to 300k would be a good idea too.

Orin.

Too Tall
01-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Previous posts make super points and can't stress enough the importance of learning the whats, whyfores and how tos of eating and drinking during this task.

Pls. take time to plot your riding strategy carefully. It is NOT a race, rather a personal challenge so plan the riding time...calories, water etc. all to coincide with a reasonable goal within the time constraint(s). Training and experimenting with food, water and electrolytes is someting you do now...not a week before the event.

If you are stuck indoors, setup a simulated 15 miles 6% climb and practice it three times / week. During the climb try some 15-20 second jumps at higher intensity and continue pedaling after at an easier rate to recover and maintain at and near your LT.

So, it begs the question. Do you know your LT and own a HR monitor? Both good goals for this awesome endeavour.

Good Luck

Kevan
01-05-2004, 08:20 AM
riding with Sandy so that you can become better acclimated to the tedium.

:o

I'm personally due for a refresher course. When we riding Sans?

:D