PDA

View Full Version : Kreitler flywheel

LegendRider
01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Has anyone used the Kreitler flywheel attachment? I'm wondering how it compares to the Tru-Trainer rollers. I've already got Kreitlers, so I'm not going to spend the $ on new Tru-Trainers even if they're superior (I know 11.4 sings their praises).

paczki
01-28-2008, 12:41 PM
It definitely works. I have an extra one that's mint if you're interested.

01-28-2008, 02:08 PM
It's a bit of a pain to sling around -- you can't just pop it off the rollers in a second because of the drive band, and it does have some weight. The flywheels aren't always that perfectly round, so it actually works better if you put one on each side -- they cancel out any irregularities. You'll have to work harder to accelerate but it's actually more natural in feel and smooth at that point.

They aren't all that cheap so if you consider the used value of your Kreitlers on top of a couple of those flywheels, you're close to getting Trutrainers anyway. :rolleyes: Alternatively, have you considered doing your high-resistance workouts on a good trainer and your cadence work on your rollers? It's just hard to get Kreitlers to give you a decent high-resistance workout without a rather annoying and funky setup.

paczki
01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
it does have some weight

It's very heavy -- best used if you leave your rollers unfolded in a semi-permanent setup.

Peter P.
01-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't own, nor have I tried Kreitler rollers WITH the flywheel. I HAVE used them without and they are quite smooth.

From what I've read though, they can have a tendency to wobble, which can be felt, hence 11.4's suggestion to mount them on both sides for some cancellation effect.

Sorry, I'm another happy TruTrainer owner! I can tell you that the flywheel effect of the TruTrainer not only gives a more realistic feeling, it adds resistance over say, 4.5" diameter rollers, giving them resistance levels equal to 3" diameter rollers. The flywheel makes it much easier to stand up while roller riding and relieve pressure on the naughty parts. Perhaps Kreitler's version offers similar benefits.

01-28-2008, 08:22 PM
The Kreitler flywheel provides resistance when accelerating, but because of its small diameter and inherent resistance it slows down quite fast. Two or three pedal revs is all you get before you need to accelerate or hold onto something. The TruTrainer in comparison lets me coast for a good 10-15 seconds coming down from a 145 rpm tempo -- on a track bike on rollers you almost want to stop a bit faster, but I'll take the longer wind-down time anyday.

cengclimbing
01-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I use the Kreitler 4.5's with two flywheels and the Headwind Unit. I haven't had any of the wobble problems noted by others here. The ride is smooth, and when you add the headwind you can get the resistance dialed up to leg breaking levels. My situation was very similar to yours in that I already owned the Kreitler Challengers and was looking for a lower cost option than going to the TT. My set-up was done incrementally over a couple of months and if I had it to do over again I think I would have gone straight to a TT set-up. The cost was about the same once you add all the extras.

Bottom line... The flywheels add resistance and give the rollers a much better feel. One flywheel was good but I much prefer having two. They are heavy (24lbs to 25lbs each ) and make moving the rollers from room to room harder. The Headwind is very loud but will allow you a wide range of resistance levels.

Hope that this helps,
Chris