PDA

View Full Version : Water bottle question

Jollymon
08-16-2004, 08:21 AM
On my ride this morning, I took a swig of water and said to myself, "self, why do you put up with this nasty taste?" My water either tastes like the soap with which I cleaned them, or like the plastic with which they are made. It's not as bad when the water is cold, but when it gets warm, I would almost rather die of thirst.

So here's the question:
What do Serottians do to clean their bottles, so the water taste like water?

gt6267a
08-16-2004, 08:32 AM
i make sure to thoroughly rinse the bottles with water after each ride and place them upside down to dry but do not use soap. the only time i ever have problems is when i forget to rinse after riding. then, i boil the bottles instead of using soap.

Tom
08-16-2004, 08:36 AM
they get run through the dishwasher.

If you don't like that option, just give them a good whack of lemon juice in the water. It'll mask anything.

Dekonick
08-16-2004, 08:42 AM
I buy Deer Park water by the case. (Costco! $5 for a case or something like that) The bottles fit my cages perfectly, you dont have that nasty plastic smell, the water tastes great, and the bottles are lighter than any other bottle I have found. I must say, I am not a gram counter at all - but if you are this would be one of the lightest options.

Other advantages:
1) you can recycle the bottles (not an advantage, but you can.)
2) the water is clean. No hidden bacteria here! No Soap residue!
3) all you need to do is grab em and go - no need to hunt for the lid, check to see if its washed, etc...

Disadvantages:
1)tap water is (almost) free, this costs something like...$.25 or so a bottle
2)they dont have any 'fashion' - no team logo here.
3)they can launch if you dont tighten your bottle cages.
4)gotta add - beer is better. :beer:
:D

dharleyd
08-16-2004, 10:29 AM
i put the water bottle in the freezer with about 2 inches of water for a couple days. never have had a problem with bad taste and the water stays cold for a long time.

CNY rider
08-16-2004, 11:29 AM
I would definitely avoid using soap in your bottles. You will never get the taste out. If they need freshening up use a drop or two of lemon juice or vinegar in a full bottle overnight, then empty and rinse thoroughly.

MadRocketSci
08-16-2004, 01:10 PM
go to REI and buy a little bottle of "potable aqua". That will remove any awareness of plasticy and/or soapy taste....you can also start out with empty water bottles and fill at the nearest stream!

:beer:

BumbleBeeDave
08-16-2004, 01:51 PM
. . . with a bottle brush and it seems to work fine. I also use that trick of rinsing them immediately after each ride and putting them in the drying rack.

Since I carry Gatorade in one bottle, I use that bottle for it all the time, scrub with the bottle brush, scrub the lid with all its crevices, threads, etc. with a toothbrush, AND ever so often I put a spoonfull of bleach in there with a bit of water and shake vigorously for a bit.

Now here is another good question . . . what kind of water bottle do you use? I love the "Specialized" type big mouth bottle that Serotta sells. Good valve, looks good, big mouth so it's easy to clean (just like me! :rolleyes: ) and enough different places sell them so that with a little mix-n-match you can get lids that match your bike colors . . . Very important for fashion slaves like the BeeMan!

BBDave

Ozz
08-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Two options:

1) Wash in dishwasher - sterilize and clean - tends to warp bottles and lids over time.

2) Rinse with mouthwash - sterilizes and leaves them minty fresh.

I usually run them thru the dishwasher cuz it is easier, but if I forget and need a bottle for a ride, and it has been sitting for awhile, I'll just put in a couple shots of Listermint, shake thoroughly, and squirt thru valve to empty.

Dekonick
08-16-2004, 03:28 PM
you can also use hydrogen peroxide to clean / disinfect.

I like the mouthwash idea too!

Think Ill stick with Deer Park water for the moment - 750 cc x 2 = 1.5l = enough for me to ride approx 1-2 hours (I suck alot of H2O) - think the plastic bottles are the same 750cc size, if you get the large ones.

Too Tall
08-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Ditto. If anything other than plain water has been in a bottle it goes in the dishwasher.
On multiday tours I use a capful of clorox in a waste can and soak them each night.
Camelback mouthpieces go in a cup with efferdent.

Dekonick
08-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Ahhh - Great idea!

Denture cleaning products!

Thanks TT - Ill use that for my cammelback!

subramankn
08-16-2004, 08:07 PM
New Wave Enviro Products makes a 1 litre polycarbonate bottle that fits perfectly in bottle cages. You can find them in Health Food stores - I found mine in a Kimberton, Pa store for $3.99. No plastic taste at all- almost like a glass bottle.