PDA

View Full Version : Winter Riding - Sigg Active Bottles?

caleb
01-28-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm looking for some winter riding bottles that I can use with hot/warm tea or coffee.

Requirements:

1) Keeps hot things hot.

2) Has a cover for the nipple to keep the winter grime off. I'm sick of all my drinks tasting salty.

3) Nipple works as well as a Specialized bottle.

Anyone tried the Sigg Active Bottles (aluminum with a sport top and cover) on the bike in the winter?

Other ideas?

caleb
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Everyone uses normal bottles year 'round?

justinf
01-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Do they fit in most cages? I love Sigg bottles in general but don't have one that fits the bike. Got a link?

rwsaunders
01-28-2008, 10:58 AM
C...I think that there was a post about this a while back. Try searching coffee or thermos or something like that.

Polar bottles work to keep liquid warm for a bit, but I wouldn't put coffee or tea in them. I'd be interested in how metal bottles stay in the cages.

caleb
01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Do they fit in most cages? I love Sigg bottles in general but don't have one that fits the bike. Got a link?

Looks like it should fit in a cage, but I think a plastic cage might be necessary to avoid scratching and rattling.

Karin Kirk
01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Yes, they do fit in a cage, but they also rattle. I think some tape wrapped around the bottle in a strategic place would cure that.

The sport top is awkward to drink from. Unlike a plastic bottle, you can't squeeze the metal one, so you have to suck on it to get a drink.

The wall is ultra-thin aluminum so it won't insulate a hot or cold beverage.

All that said, I adore my Sigg bottle. The water just tastes great from it. But I'm not sure it's the right choice the application that you have in mind. Do a search, there was a thread on this about a year ago.