PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss for those of us over 50

TomP
01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Ok I have this friend :rolleyes:

Anyway he still works out a lot; running and riding each 3 to 4 times a week, and weight lifting 1 to 2 times a week. He eats mostly healthy. But darn, the pounds aren't coming off like they did even 10 years ago. Feel free to flame away :beer: but what's a guy to do?

This is of course for my friend Bob

Louis
01-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Tell hiim to eat / drink fewer calories.

chrisroph
01-27-2008, 08:56 PM
burn more calories than you consume. eat less.

e-RICHIE
01-27-2008, 09:02 PM
burn more calories than you consume. eat less.
yeah - i dropped 15-20 this past season because
i got serious - again atmo. c'mon, make my day.

capybaras
01-27-2008, 09:25 PM
you won't lose weight by eating healthy. you have to eat too little food. stay hungry all the time and the weight will come off. then you can eat normal portions of healthy food. they only way to lose weight is to starve yourself just a little

labratmatt
01-27-2008, 09:45 PM
It takes some discipline, but there's really no trick: eat less than your burning.

A few of things that really help me to lose weight:

1. Keep a food journal and track everything you eat down to the 10 calorie mark. Keeping a food journal is paramount.
2. Drink water all day long. It's an appetite suppressant.
3. Have protein with your meals. It helps you feel fuller longer. Things like simple sugars are tasty, but they don't fill you up, so avoid them.
4. Pace yourself: Aim to lose 500 calories a day. This'll end up equaling about a pound a week.

Oh, and a note:

The old saying "always be hungry" doesn't really work, it's more complicated than that. Some foods will not fill you up even though they're calorie laden. Just keep a food journal, you'll make progress.

chrisroph
01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
yeah - i dropped 15-20 this past season because
i got serious - again atmo. c'mon, make my day.

we should gather some pals and go to higgins bar when you are in town next month and get serious ordering off the beer menu, filled with great belgians. the real season doesn't start for another 7 or 8 months, plenty of time.

e-RICHIE
01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
we should gather some pals and go to higgins bar when you are in town next month and get serious ordering off the beer menu, filled with great belgians. the real season doesn't start for another 7 or 8 months, plenty of time.
sounds good - i'll let my bodyguard, posse,
groupie, and entourage in on thismo atmo.

chrisroph
01-27-2008, 10:17 PM
sounds good - i'll let my bodyguard, posse,
groupie, and entourage in on thismo atmo.

excellent, the more the merrier

SoCalSteve
01-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Ok I have this friend :rolleyes:

Anyway he still works out a lot; running and riding each 3 to 4 times a week, and weight lifting 1 to 2 times a week. He eats mostly healthy. But darn, the pounds aren't coming off like they did even 10 years ago. Feel free to flame away :beer: but what's a guy to do?

This is of course for my friend Bob

Are you talking to me???

I am in the EXACT same boat!

Just sayin'

Steve

Peter P.
01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
At 5'6", 130lbs., I don't have any fat to lose. But when I cut cheese and soda from my weekday diet (weekends I don't deprive myself), I was amazed at the fat I lost that I thought I didn't have! Most recently, I reduced from 2% to 1% milk.

You can't make drastic changes to your diet; choose one item per month. You shouldn't have to go around hungry, either. There are low-fat alternatives and other strategies which will satiate your hunger while reducing your calorie intake.

Longdaddy
01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Cyclo-fuel. It will re-open your eyes to nutrition.

The entire system (Cyclo-core, cyclo-fuel, cyclo-zen) is worth it, IMHO.
The off season program has me feeling like I could be a competitive CAT 2/Master 35+again, not just pack fodder. And I'm still in Afghanistan.
Afraid of yoga? Swallow your pride and give yoga and/or pilates a shot.
Heck, I'm a Special Forces A-Team Leader. If I can handle the "kind" remarks from my team, you could from your buddies/wife/husband, too.

tbushnel
01-27-2008, 11:01 PM
sleep deprivation will put your body in an unfavorable metabolic condition - stimulating your appetite and favoring the storage of energy. get that 7.5 - 8 hours of sleep.
ted.

KeithS
01-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Journaling, lifestyle changes, major calorie reduction. You must be accountable.

I lost 50 lbs in a year. Much more focused exercise, way down on calories, gave up vices, yes I do mean beer - there was never anything light I could drink. In the summer I ride about 8 to 10 hours per week. I have two small kids and a time consuming career and a busier wife.

It isn't easy, but just remember it's only for the rest of your life. My cholesteral down to nothing, diagnosed with diabetes 10 years back but with weight loss I was (with my Doc's blessing) able to quit my cholesteral and one of my two Diabetes meds. A1C from a life threatening 10 to an under spec 6.1.

I am 51 and I weigh 215. When I was 40 I weighed 325. It can be done. Keep it up, there is no pill or silver bullet or instant gratification. No one is less disciplined than me, if I can do it anyone can. I have 20 lbs left to go and will be there by the start of the outdoor riding season. I really like passing 30 somethings on hills...

You or even that lazy Bob can do it!

ksilbert
01-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Tell Bob to buy a heavier bike.

RIHans
01-28-2008, 12:13 AM
January 28th, 2008

169#

Watch the intake, No soda, no potato chips, no cookies(!), salad for lunch.

This is the first time in a while that low fat yogut is on the menu! It's snowing

here in New England...Ice on the roads, no ride today.

First time, in a long time in, the 16x's.

soulspinner
01-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Limit to 60 grams fat per day. Easier said than done.

stevep
01-28-2008, 06:13 AM
sadly,
its the food/drink 1/2 of the equation.

alas.
gotta fix that.

old_school
01-28-2008, 06:15 AM
eat smaller amounts more often

consume a low glycemic diet (do a search for glycemic index)

always combine protein with a small amount of complex carbs (particularly vegetables / avoid starch in the pm, if possible)

am cardio on an empty stomach

lift weights

stevep
01-28-2008, 06:25 AM
old school,
you told me a fishermans platter twice a week.
i weigh 280 now. i cant get up my driveway.
whats up w/ that?
s
bad advice?

eat smaller amounts more often

consume a low glycemic diet (do a search for glycemic index)

always combine protein with a small amount of complex carbs (particularly vegetables / avoid starch in the pm, if possible)

am cardio on an empty stomach

old_school
01-28-2008, 06:38 AM
old school,
whats up w/ that?
s
bad advice?

uh, your honor, at this time I don't recall ...

must have been my other personality talking

keno
01-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Skip one lunch and one dinner each week, and cut out desserts. All of that record keeping will wear thin. Besides, you will have to learn how many calories are in what. Not to mention that a bagel is not a bagel is not a bagel. Size counts.

keno

paczki
01-28-2008, 07:23 AM
old school,
whats up w/ that?
s
bad advice?

JUST a fisherman's platter twice a week. Altoids and Pellegrino for the rest of the time. And a few snorts of Greyhound Juice.

Fixed
01-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Altoids and Pellegrino is about all you can eat if you want to be skinny imho
cheers

catulle
01-28-2008, 07:27 AM
If you don't eat enough you loose muscle mass and accumulate fat. The calories deficit platitude is a platitude. Or so I believe.

sjbraun
01-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Hey, it worked for my wife. She turned 50 last year and decided she wanted to do so at a lighter weight. She dropped 30 pounds and has kept them off.

Our diet was a bit unpleasant for a while, but now cals are back to normal and her weight has stayed off. she was unpleasantly hungry the first two weeks, but after that, no problem.

She claims her local WW group has a number of men in it.

stevep
01-28-2008, 07:35 AM
If you don't eat enough you loose muscle mass and accumulate fat. The calories deficit platitude is a platitude. Or so I believe.

confucious say.
very few on here eat too little.
quite a few eat too much to lose weight.
many bike racers are fast.
all bike racers are skinny ( except gibby hatton ).
very few on here are bike racers.
draw your own conclusions,
you will anyway.
"go get something to eat... you look too thin"*

another fishermans platter for lunch, the season doesnt start for another 6 weeks so i can lose the weight... tks old school.

* added note from yr mother.

TMB
01-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Hey, it worked for my wife. She turned 50 last year and decided she wanted to do so at a lighter weight. She dropped 30 pounds and has kept them off.

Our diet was a bit unpleasant for a while, but now cals are back to normal and her weight has stayed off. she was unpleasantly hungry the first two weeks, but after that, no problem.

She claims her local WW group has a number of men in it.

You can do WW on line now.

My wife is on it currently she is back to the weight she was when we met and is feeling great.

Her diet has not suffered at all, but she is fiend with the kitchen scale.

It works.

rdparadise
01-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Yo, I recommend lowering the caloric intake.

3 Ways to lose weight:

1. Eat less;
2. Increase activity level;
3. Do both.

That's it.

Another option is try Body for Life program. 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day. A portion is the size of your clenched fist. One for protein, one for carb at the three main meals. In between, do protein shakes, cottage cheese/yogurt blended, etc. I never felt hungry and lost 15 pounds in 90 days while working out and adding muscle mass.

Lastly, stay away from alcohol, it just turns into sugar and adds a lot of useless calories.

Good luck.

Bob

wasfast
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I think one of the most common self talk items is: "I just rode 3 hours so I can have ________ and not worry about it". You may get to do that when you're 20 but not when you're 50.

I dropped from 220 to 195 the first year I started riding again (2004). I then sat there for the next 2 years because I was still eating too much, period. This despite riding 5K a year, year round.

I finally got serious this last summer and am now 180. Goal is to be 175.

I did it by seriously cutting down what I eat. Much easier said than done.

zeroking17
01-28-2008, 10:12 AM
You can't outsprint a donut.1

Fixed
01-28-2008, 10:16 AM
think one of the most common self talk items is: "I just rode 3 hours so I can have ________ and not worry about it". You may get to do that when you're 20 but not when you're 50.

truth imho cheers

Kervin
01-28-2008, 10:31 AM
What has been working for me is a few things:

1. Just drink water. Between two sodas and 2 glasses of wine per day, it cut out a bunch of calories for me.

2. Try to stay away from deep fried stuff.

3. Cut back on grains with a increase in fruit and veggies.

4. Plan my post ride meal. Instead of a entire tube of fig newtons followed by what ever else I would grab in a hunger induced fog, I have something filling that has fewer calories.

Back in the day, I raced at 180 pounds but I was never a skinny guy. This time last year I weighed 215. Now I'm at 190 with reduced winter riding time. I think I can lose ten more by May or so.

Mud
01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I have said this before. After my wife's 3rd hip replacement and after the PT, the weight did not come off. There was a long stretch before she could ride again since she had so much bone repair. She started WWs. I was 188 (5'10") and was amazed so I started eating oatmeal instead of bagels. I dropped to under 150#. It has been a couple of years and we are still at around the low weight. It is a life change, not a diet. We are vegans except for a piece of fish once in a while so subsist on Morningstar burgers. My wife will always be 23 for me but I am 66 now, have always had a weight problem and seemed to have gotten the better of it now. Hope this helps.

Fixed
01-28-2008, 11:12 AM
kinda sucks gettin old when you see the finish line ahead
kiss your love ones bro
thinn people live longer imho
cheers

WadePatton
01-28-2008, 11:35 AM
this thread makes me hungry. :banana:

ericspin
01-28-2008, 11:39 AM
think one of the most common self talk items is: "I just rode 3 hours so I can have ________ and not worry about it". You may get to do that when you're 20 but not when you're 50.

truth imho cheers

Yeah, that's a bummer isn't it? Sometimes I figure how many calories I burn after riding but I must be puttin' them right back in.

SoCalSteve
01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
+100 for Weight Watchers!

It truly seems to be (in the plethora of so many fad diets) a WAY OF LIFE and not some fad diet...

When I have followed it (and yes, its hard to do) I have lost weight, lots of weight.

This thread has jump started my motivation to get back on Weight Watchers (online).

Thanks everyone!

Steve

PS: For us cyclist, when you do ride, WW rewards you by giving you extra points...Yippppeeee! :banana:

MarleyMon
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
this thread makes me hungry. :banana:
go look at the goat thread

bzbvh5
01-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I figured since it took quit a while to get where I'm at, it should probably take a while to get to where I want to be. I've decided to lose 1 pound a week for a year and I want to lower my cholesterol. This would never make it on Biggest Loser but it seems to be working for me so far. 52 pounds in a year seams like a fair amount.

Here is what I'm doing. Chicken & turkey are my protein sources. Only eating about a fist size portion for my meals. The don'ts include: cheese, sodas, beef, pork, lamb, and french fries. I ride my bike when I can, weigh myself on Sunday morning, write that number down count the weeks in the year and see if I am still better than the pound a week average.

Steve D
01-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Here's a helpful, free, website. www.sparkpeople.com

I've been using if for a month and religously write down all that I eat. It estimates the number of calories, grams of fat, protein and carbs, plus it provides useful reports.

It has a huge database of food items so you only have to click on the food you've eaten. If you're food isn't in the database, you can add it and enter the nutritional information yourself.

I'm down 10 pounds so far and find that it is a real education for me. The habit of recording everything I eat makes me think twice before I put something into my mouth. I've also found that I make better choices about what to eat after seeing the daily reports.

It also lets you input your rides and it will estimate your calorie expenditures based on whether your ridinng easy, hard or somewhere in between.

Check it out. Hope it helps...

TMB
01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
There is another source which is really good. The food database is huge.

I used this a lot when I used a Palm handheld. It was nice always having it with you.

www.calorieking.com

The application is good and easy to use, the tracking is very good.

I just don't use it as much since I quit carrying the Palm. If they had a Blackberry version, I might go back to it.

Certainly recording everything you eat, when you eat it, has a powerful impact on your behaviour.

chuckroast
01-28-2008, 05:38 PM
For me, January and July. For one month, no alcohol, cookies or cakes, candy, fried food, fatty meats, chips, nuts etc. Generally cut the fat and sweets twice a year. At the end of the month, the pants fit better. No weigh ins, just based on clothing fit and self image.

TomP
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Great ideas and thoughts. So, I shared all this "with my friend Bob". He identified two big weaknesses. He has never eaten breakfast and then snacks all morning at work, and worse yet, he grazes from dinner until bed. So, he tells me this morning he had a protein bar for breakfast. Maybe not the healthiest, but easy and wow did it work. He didn't feel like snacking all morning. For this evening he's going to try a bowl of healthy grain cereal with non fat yoghurt for the (hopefully) only after dinner snack. I'll let you know how he does.

AgilisMerlin
01-28-2008, 05:46 PM
usually skip the meal after a longer ride. works for me..........so no lunch

oh, and i don't eat breakfast except coffee.............some cheese or meat at lunch

granola with dinner............

so basically i try and eat a half meal for lunch and small dinner, always before 5:00

no booze, no sugar - money in the pocket............

my wife thinks i am nuts.....................and i sure like eating em' :banana:

please don't try this diet, it leads to massive weight loss.........and causes the participant to be speeding his ballz off every morning after draining the french press.

oh, and i usually break the booze part when Roman Meal visits..........like on Saturday :D - i am not a machine...........

TMB
01-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Great ideas and thoughts. So, I shared all this "with my friend Bob". He identified two big weaknesses. He has never eaten breakfast and then snacks all morning at work, and worse yet, he grazes from dinner until bed. So, he tells me this morning he had a protein bar for breakfast. Maybe not the healthiest, but easy and wow did it work. He didn't feel like snacking all morning. For this evening he's going to try a bowl of healthy grain cereal with non fat yoghurt for the (hopefully) only after dinner snack. I'll let you know how he does.

Get yourself the Kellogg's All Bran Buds,

For breakfast have a bowl of those with yougurt.

Fills you up, you don't need much more for breakfast and you hit about 50% of your daily fibre intake in one swoop.

capybaras
01-28-2008, 10:34 PM
just eat less. if you are a few pounds over what you should weight just cut back every day until the weight comes off. It takes a week with every day eating 500 calories less than you need to lose 1 pound. If you have a lot to lose that is completely different because you need to change the way you eat or you will feel deprived if you don't work it out better.

capybaras
01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
testosterone patch?