PDA

View Full Version : Issue with USE Alien carbon seatpost

jowens
01-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Is the USE Alien carbon worth the trouble, and in particular is this one hosed?

There is a 1 inch area where the material has been "pinched". Not a crack, but clearly raised up where the clamp splits on the seatube. The problem area is easily felt - probably protrudes about .5 mm above the surface of the post.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/sandra71/alien2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/sandra71/alien1.jpg

Is this a problem? Just cosmetic? A disaster waiting to happen?

To be candid, other than this issue, I don't have the warm fuzzies for this post. The saddle rail clamps were seized onto the top of the post, and the clamping mechanism makes fine adjustment and leveling very difficult.

Should I ditch this thing, or just ride my bike and stop worrying?

mgm777
01-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Can't speak to the damage on your post. However, I do know, from reading the warning labels, that carbon fiber can fail catastrophically and suddenly. Given that you've taken the time to take photos, post them on the web and ask a question indicates you have a concern. Ask yourself, worst case scenario, if the post fails suddenly, what are the possible outcomes? If it were me, I'd replace it. Why take a chance?

BTW - I owned that exact post a couple of years ago. I too thought fine adjusting the thing was a PITA. It was replaced by a Thomson.

Elefantino
01-28-2008, 04:16 AM
It's toast. Really. Don't ride it. It's not worth it. A friend had the same pinch mark on Specialized Pave and it blew on a ride. Luckily, all he had to do was ride home standing.

Don't chance it.

And ditto on getting a Thomson.

BdaGhisallo
01-28-2008, 04:20 AM
Get yourself a PMP carbon post if you want to stick with carbon. Their post has thick walls when compared to other carbon posts I have seen. If you don't want carbon then get a PMP Ti post!

Do yourself that favor!

weiwentg
01-28-2008, 05:28 AM
that's all she (the seatpost) wrote, I'm afraid.

I had a USE titanium post and a carbon aero post. both were well-made and very light. I never broke a screw, but came close to rounding off the allen head. I am now a Thomson Masterpiece and a Bold Precision. the former will probably be around forever. the latter has rather thin walls, and the clamp is a bit small; I'm not sure how well it might play with a carbon railed saddle like the new Arione CX or K:1. but it is very well made and very light. and the clamp is also very easy to adjust.

stevep
01-28-2008, 06:16 AM
trashmo, atso*.

use carbon paste and then you wont have to overtighten it to hold the next one in place.

* fee paid to atmo.
atao

( according to attorneys opinion )

Kevan
01-28-2008, 06:19 AM
but it gave me nothing but problems. I'm a Thomson fan now.

jowens
01-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks for all the feeback!

Time for a new post.

I agree on the Thomson, but I already have one and need setback.

I'm thinking of trying out the Salsa Shaft (it is going on a Salsa Campeon frame anyway).

Any other suggestions for something avalable in 31.6 with moderate setback (20 -25 mm) ?

dave1215
01-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Any other suggestions for something avalable in 31.6 with moderate setback (20 -25 mm) ?

if you really want 25mm setback look at the Campagnolo Record or Chorus posts. your USE Alien post has, i believe, a 10mm setback. here are a few (31.6mm OD) with setback that would be close to what you have:

Thompson Elite bent (16mm)
PMP (14mm) - (separately comes in zero and 27mm setback)
Syntace P6 – extended bottom rail for setback adjustments

KCNC Pro Lite (10mm)
Easton EC70 (10mm)
Easton EA70 (10mm)