PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Rerouting the Shifting Finally????!!!!!

rinconryder
01-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Did anyone else catch this? I like Shimano, I don't like how the shifting is routed. Looks weird. I would like this VERY much and it is about time.

"When asked if it was the electronic group that a number of Rabobank riders have tested last year, the mechanic shook his head. He did say, however, that the new Dura-Ace levers will finally do away with the protruding shift housings which will finally be concealed under the handlebar tape. Stay tuned..."

I quoted the relevant part in full above, but here is the link. It is in the Rabobank paragraph.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/jan08/tdu08/?id=features/tech

brians647
01-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Did anyone else catch this? I like Shimano, I don't like how the shifting is routed. Looks weird. I would like this VERY much and it is about time.

"When asked if it was the electronic group that a number of Rabobank riders have tested last year, the mechanic shook his head. He did say, however, that the new Dura-Ace levers will finally do away with the protruding shift housings which will finally be concealed under the handlebar tape. Stay tuned..."

I quoted the relevant part in full above, but here is the link. It is in the Rabobank paragraph.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/jan08/tdu08/?id=features/tech

Makes sense. There aren't any more cables to deal with, right?

BdaGhisallo
01-27-2008, 10:18 AM
From what I have gleaned so far from various sources:

The new mechanical DA levers will have slightly reshaped hoods to get that flat area on the hoods that Campy and SRAM levers offer. The shift cables will be concealed beneath the bar tape. There was some talk a while ago of being able to upshift two cogs at once instead of the traditional one cog but I am not sure about that now.

Shimano have decided (thankfully) to persevere with alloy cranks. Look for a new LH crank attachment and bb preload system like the new XTR and the DA Carbon cranks have. They may well offer a new shaped crank. Shimano have always introduced a new crank arm design with each change in DA, over the last several generations at least, going back as far as the 7400 group.

I would imagine that most of the current 7800 components will have no problem being compatible with whatever is coming. DA will remain with 10 cogs and I would see this DA transformation as more of an evolution from 7800 than a revolutionary change.

Frankly, apart from the aesthetics and some minor ergonomic changes, I can't see how the 7800 DA series needs to be improved much. Apart from a new attachment mechanism for the LH crank I can't see what might be improved. I only hope that they haven't sacrificed any shifting efficiency on the altar of concealed gear cable routing!

David Kirk
01-27-2008, 10:30 AM
But what will the rider hold onto when in a solo break and in aero bar position sans aero bars?

Dave

stevep
01-27-2008, 10:35 AM
But what will the rider hold onto when in a solo break and in aero bar position sans aero bars?

Dave

i hook my fingers around the cables all the time.
security i guess. ask swoop

Grant McLean
01-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Dave

http://www.cinelli.it/EN/spinaci/fatti/

:banana:

-g

Big Dan
01-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I like the cables on the outside.

:cool:

mike p
01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
+1, I admit I hang on to them, but I'd still like to see cleaned up shifters.

Mike

Dave

Nick Payne
02-21-2008, 10:06 PM
As there's no visual feedback of rear cog from STI levers (compared with barend or downtube levers) I find the inline gear indicator that comes with Dura-Ace useful when I want to quickly see what cog I'm on without looking back at the cassette. And it's the only form of gear indicator that's still useful in the dark, as it gets illuminated by spill from the headlight.

DarrenCT
02-21-2008, 10:08 PM
As there's no visual feedback of rear cog from STI levers (compared with barend or downtube levers) I find the inline gear indicator that comes with Dura-Ace useful when I want to quickly see what cog I'm on without looking back at the cassette. And it's the only form of gear indicator that's still useful in the dark, as it gets illuminated by spill from the headlight.

ya that gear indicator was good on days when ur hungover

coylifut
02-21-2008, 10:55 PM

i just put in the 11 and start counting shifts.

rinconryder
02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
i just put in the 11 and start counting shifts.

I never knew anybody actually used the gear counter? If I have chain rub, I switch rings. If I am climbing, I am in small ring and just shift until I run out of gears, and then peddle harder. Going down a hill big ring, same as before. I guess I just go off of feel and rarely do I ever look to see what gear I am in.

SoCalSteve
02-21-2008, 11:59 PM

1 word: FlightDeck

Just sayin'

Steve

avalonracing
02-22-2008, 12:07 AM
The external cables are the only real reason that I would by Campy over Shimano. Strangely though, I liked the gear counter and used it when racing. On very steep climb whenever I would see some try to find a 25 when all he has is a 23 I would consider attacking him. I don't ever want to give someone else that "tell", thanks to the optical indicator I never had to.

chrisroph
02-22-2008, 09:03 AM
sheesh you guys don't know what gear you are in?

dvs cycles
02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
sheesh you guys don't know what gear you are in?Counting to 10 is a lost art. :D

coylifut
02-22-2008, 09:27 AM
sheesh you guys don't know what gear you are in?

agreed

saab2000
02-22-2008, 09:30 AM
What's 'Shimano'?

mjb266
02-22-2008, 09:32 AM

Dave

Crap, I hit a rock once doing that and it threw me forward which made me push on the brakes whick further compounded the problem...it was terrifying riding it out with my sternum planted on my stem, brakes applied from the housing.