PDA

View Full Version : Food Glorious Foooooood

Too Tall
01-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Shocker! My town's Amish green grocer sets up shop every saturday in good weather so it was a real surprise to see his family behind piles of winter goodies yesterday. My haul included: honey crisps, staymens and (WOO HOO) Golden Turnips.

Life is good.

capybaras
01-27-2008, 07:43 AM
How are you going to make the turnips?

Too Tall
01-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Peeled, tossed in olive oil, salt, cracked pepper and left over herbs from the fish. Done! I made a whole rockfish yesterday these served sliced with some wildrice mix...ymmr'.

PBWrench
01-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Try preparing radishes (preferably big ones) in exactly the same way as the turnips. Sublime.

Erik.Lazdins
01-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Haven't had good honeycrisps here since October! A good honeycrisp is tough to beat, it does things other apples can't.

Thankfully I've got some good coffee!

DarrenCT
01-27-2008, 08:29 AM
fyi,

turnips go great with a dark beer

Tom
01-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I made a stew with turnips and rutabagas the other weekend. They really hit the spot in the winter.

A slight tangent: make a coleslaw with fennel and carrots instead of cabbage and whatever. A lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil dressing with a few green olives and it is pretty tasty, too.

Too Tall
01-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Right on Tom, shredded Fennel salad is a fav. with a pan fried BIG sardine OMG.

Just knocked off about 1/3 of those beets, what a pig face I am. Rest went to mom with a slab of rockfish and rice. I'd better enjoy it, surely I won't find beets like again for a looong time.

I would never have suspected radish for anything other than fresh eating...hmmm well it is a root veg. I'll try it.

NO KIDDING those honeycrisps are the holy grail of hand eatin' apples. Right up there with some of the old old old school apples you can still find roadside in Va. Black twig is making a comeback. The absolute king kong of apple tasting happens once a yr. in apple alley at the MN state fair. Growers have benn hybridizing all sorts of interesting stuff. You can only buy small amt's from cold cases, some are like biting into a cup of wine :)

dave1215
01-27-2008, 03:44 PM
this sounds like some glorious food:

"seared salmon over exquisite greens and warm goat cheese with balsamic vinaigrette" :beer:

shinomaster
01-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Make a pie?

Ken Robb
01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Try preparing radishes (preferably big ones) in exactly the same way as the turnips. Sublime.

I was just thinking about your taste in cuisine as I eat one of your famous Nut Goodies. Yummm

Too Tall
03-01-2008, 01:37 PM
The beets were divine, thanks for tips.

Carmelized Whole Pineapple.
Today, got back from a cold windy pre-race ride and spied with my little eye a nice ripe pineapple :) Peeled it, left the core...patted with good vanilla and salt than into a hot oven. Let's see what happens :) Might have to run out for some ice creme.

Tom Kellogg
03-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Too:

I just got back from a four hour ride and of course have the munchies. You aren't helping AT ALL. So STOP IT! :no: :no:

jthurow
03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
mmmm, honey crisps...

jimi