PDA

View Full Version : OT: speaking of movies, do you ever Walk Out?

eddief
01-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I went to see Atonement today with a good friend. I sat through about the first twenty minutes and found it to be slow, visually iritating, and BORING. We had driven separate cars to the theater so I asked her if she'd mind if I made my exit. I think she understood. But I got to thinking there have been a number of times when I have gone to the movies alone and said to myself -- this stinks -- and then walked out. I asked my neigbor and my exgirlfriend if they ever do/have ever done this, and both thought I was nuts.

capybaras
01-26-2008, 06:34 PM
We walked out of that Wittgenstein movie in the 1990's. It was not good. My mom and a friend of hers who is a nun walked out of No Country Old Men - the person at the box office told them it was a murder mystery but they were expecting something more Hitchcock. :banana:

Blue Jays
01-26-2008, 06:41 PM
The movie Borat was pretty painful to watch through to the end. We stayed since we had committed $18.00 to that nonsense already! :)

capybaras
01-26-2008, 06:46 PM
I love Jewish funnymen. Seriously that movie was funny! :banana:

djg
01-26-2008, 06:57 PM
We walked out of that Wittgenstein movie in the 1990's. It was not good. My mom and a friend of hers who is a nun walked out of No Country Old Men - the person at the box office told them it was a murder mystery but they were expecting something more Hitchcock. :banana:

I missed the Wittgenstein movie. A pic about a deeply neurotic Austrian, living in denial, abroad, and obsessed with developing a theory of meaning, and then deciding it was krap, and then developing sort of another one ... and it wasn't good? Did they screw the chase seen?

Erik.Lazdins
01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Haven't walked out but have fallen asleep twice - does that count?

capybaras
01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
A friend was hypnotized by Zentropa and had to see it a second time because she remembered nothing. Then she fell asleep

eddief
01-26-2008, 07:10 PM
fortunately that was only from my living room to my kitchen without the $9 ticket booth in between.

Dekonick
01-26-2008, 07:12 PM
I walked out of Miss Saigon in London...
The seats were horrible - couldn't see over the people in front of us, and without a view it wasn't worth the agony as the seats themselves were left over from the inquisition and now are banned by the Geneva Convention.

Not a movie but doesn't a play count?

capybaras
01-26-2008, 07:14 PM
what offended you?
a. Jewish b&b scene
b. naked wrestling
c. poor Kazakh village
d. other
e. etc.
f. sister joke
g. _________
h. rodeo fans
i. something else please tell us

CNY rider
01-26-2008, 07:14 PM
PeeWee's Playhouse movie.
I think I was in high school or college at the time.

eddief
01-26-2008, 07:20 PM
!

z. beeblebrox
01-26-2008, 09:08 PM
saw it in high school, skipped out early because it sucked. My date went with me...we made out in the parking lot instead...classy.

toaster
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
I, too, walked out on Borat. Would have walked out on Jack@ss too, but saw most of it on DVD at home.

It's not that the content is offensive to me, it's just really stupid and my stupid tolerance wears out in about 45 minutes or less.

Blue Jays
01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
"...I, too, walked out on Borat. It's not that the content is offensive to me, it's just really stupid and my stupid tolerance wears out in about 45 minutes or less..."Yes, precisely! :beer:

Michael Maddox
01-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Something about Borat rubs me the wrong way, too. I just get embarrassed for the people he plays against. They just seem so gullible and stupid. I admit that Sacha is a genius, but man...I can't watch Borat at all.

MarleyMon
01-26-2008, 10:32 PM
1. The Cheap Detective (Peter Falk - dreadful)
2. Flashdance
3. Lets Get Lost (Chet Baker biopic - great music, but the flick dragged on endlessly)

Viper
01-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Walking out of the movie theater? Hell, I don't even walk in.

WadePatton
01-26-2008, 11:13 PM
zactly.

I like to let movies age for 5 or 6 years, if people still remember and recommend them at that point--then they might be worth seeing. The hollywood hoopla and "critics" acclaim and awards don't mean diddle to me.

and good movies deserve at least three viewings.

Louis
01-26-2008, 11:17 PM
I did not walk out of "Into Great Silence." If you know the movie you may agree that that is saying something.

Ahneida Ride
01-26-2008, 11:19 PM
I can't walk out cause I cannot walk in.

I can't afford the popcorn .... How much frn for popcorn? :eek:

A.L.Breguet
01-27-2008, 05:55 AM
I almost walked out on Space Balls.

mcteague
01-27-2008, 06:31 AM
Never saw "Fantasia" as a kid but did as an adult, after I became interested in Classical music. Terrible, guess you really had to be on acid to like it.

The only DVD I pulled out of the player partway through was "Clerks II". I liked "Clerks" and loved "Dogma" but could not make it past 30 minutes or so of this pile.

Just watched "Sunshine" last night and was hoping to love it as I really enjoy smart sci-fi; "2001" is my favorite film. This was just a jumbled mess. What a shame.

Tim McTeague

stevep
01-27-2008, 06:37 AM
i walked out of the movie eastern promises in the first 1 minute.
opening scene was grotesque.
ayye, i dont need it.

didnt like borat either but stuck it out.
it was stupid and juvenile.

JohnS
01-27-2008, 06:56 AM
The Producers.

97CSI
01-27-2008, 06:57 AM
The seats were horrible - couldn't see over the people in front of us, and without a view it wasn't worth the agony as the seats themselves were left over from the inquisition and now are banned by the Geneva Convention.

Not a movie but doesn't a play count?Amazing! Small world, indeed. We also walked out of Miss Saigon in London ('94). No problem seeing, but the acting/singing was terrible. However, the worst part was that it was a 90 degree day outside and no AC inside. Between the heat and the stench of sweating English-folks it was overpowering. We stopped at one of the carts outside for a baked potatio and brew, and had a nice chat with a couple of actresses that were in one of the other plays. Was the best part of the evening.

Chad Engle
01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Don't go out to movies much, DVD's at home are the way to go. I rate them by whether or not they keep me awake. I fall asleep a lot. Probably why I don't go out to movies, chairs are too comfortable, I'm out in no time. Took the kids to Bee Movie, I was asleep in about 10 minutes.

Viper
01-27-2008, 09:40 AM

You should have been arrested.

Even as big an Ahnuld fan as I am, I walked out of 'Last Action Hero'. If not for Bridgette Wilson (now Mrs. Sampras) I would've...the movie was painful.

Another movie (I see like two a year) that I nearly walked out of was 'Gangs of New York'. DiCaprio's horrible brogue, the length of the movie, weak acting and what was with having everything fitting for the timeline, yet a soundtrack with rock music from U2 ('The Hands That Built America') and Peter Gabriel ('Signal to Noise') played during the movie? *** was that all about?

I don't really go to the movies, unless it's a 4 star movie. Even then, I wait till it's on DVD, for $20.00 I'll own it. I will always see James Bond flicks in the theater as well as certain sci-fi flicks. The trashy crowd at the theaters, people have NO manners/respect today and when you combine the classless crowd, the $80.00 admission tickets with the $50.00 box of Junior Mints...

How many will line up to see 'Sex and the City' when it comes out? Talk about weak.

BumbleBeeDave
01-27-2008, 09:56 AM

+1

I hardly ever go to see a movie at the theater anymore. I'm with Wade . . . see something on DVD after it's been around long enough to be sure it's worth watching. When I do go it's usually to the small, second run family-owned theater over in Scotia, across the river from Schenectady. Cheaper, smaller, friendlier--everything the big chains aren't. It's usually pretty easy for me to find something far more fun to do with my two hours--like go for a ride.

BBD

Tom
01-27-2008, 09:57 AM
But then I sort of got this morbid curiosity... how could two actors make a Kubrick film perfectly awful?

No wonder the guy died immediately after watching the whole thing. Cruise/Kidder's acting was such a perfect zero that it sucked the life force right out of him.

It must really be a bummer for his family that this was the last movie he ever got to make without having a chance to redeem himself.

I do know one thing. That movie cured me of ever wanting to go to the movies ever again.

Viper
01-27-2008, 09:59 AM
But then I sort of got this morbid curiosity... how could two actors make a Kubrick film perfectly awful?

No wonder the guy died immediately after watching the whole thing. Cruise/Kidder's acting was such a perfect zero that it sucked the life force right out of him.

It must really be a bummer for his family that this was the last movie he ever got to make without having a chance to redeem himself.

I do know one thing. That movie cured me of ever wanting to go to the movies ever again.

I swear that movie was somehow Scientology brainwashing.

stevep
01-27-2008, 10:06 AM

you are all right on this.
was pathetic.
astonishingly bad.
he probably did die after watching the whole thing...good line
it put the capstone on a pyramid of disbelief toward film critics.
they all lie, they are all on the corporate take.

Ginger
01-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't understand why people would walk out on retread British humor (I'm joking here...) From what I've seen, most of Borat/Ali G's skits are bits of reworked Brit stuff. Not saying that the guy didn't expand the ideas and make them his...but...the Hungarian phrase book? then there are the reworked Benny Hill skits... that are no funnier now than they were then. :p

Other than that...

Yes. I've walked out on movies. Thing is I don't remember which ones they were. If they were bad enough to walk out on, they weren't good enough to remember.

Larry
01-27-2008, 01:19 PM
The Bourne Ultimatum.
Pointless violence (really intense) and visually unpleasant to
endure. I left half way through.

I hear that new Rambo flick is quite violent, also.
Everyone getting killed left and right.
Hollywood just keeps feeding our already violent society more scum!!

michael white
01-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I thought Borat was pretty darned funny. . . it seemed to me he took the traditional comic's tack of humiliating himself (his character) far more than anyone else, and I don't think he was merciless at all in his satire. I mean, he's simply working with what's there. His treatment of Pam Anderson, especially, was a million times more respectful than media typically is of her--she who is so easily caricatured. Anyway, I enjoyed it for what it was.

eddief
01-27-2008, 01:36 PM
some are strong cyclists, some have a good sense of humor.

Crazy Chris
01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
"Hairspray"==I listened to one song and left the room (Netflix is wonderful) to read a few good books. Travolta in drag? Give me a break.

gdw
01-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Oliver Stone's "Natural Born Killers" drove me out pretty quickly and I would have bailed on "The Joy Luck Club" but stayed to preserve domestic harmony.

Dekonick
01-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Amazing! Small world, indeed. We also walked out of Miss Saigon in London ('94). No problem seeing, but the acting/singing was terrible. However, the worst part was that it was a 90 degree day outside and no AC inside. Between the heat and the stench of sweating English-folks it was overpowering. We stopped at one of the carts outside for a baked potatio and brew, and had a nice chat with a couple of actresses that were in one of the other plays. Was the best part of the evening.

I wasn't going to go there... but since you did - the odor was... pungent.

I have seen a lot of plays in London - almost every Andrew Lloyd Weber production, and many others. Miss Saigon was a sad disappointment despite rave reviews.

Good choice on a spud n brew.

Dekonick
01-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Going to the movies in the US after experiencing what Brussels has to offer is disappointing. A nice beer while waiting for the flick...great public transport to and from the venue, scenic, theater floors not sticky, no popcorn, (ice cream instead!) fantastic theater seating, the list goes on...

Student discounts were a bonus...

:)

bigbill
01-27-2008, 03:27 PM
When I lived in Charleston, SC, I attended many movies during the Spolleto (sp?) arts festival. My far more cultured friends convinced me to see several foreign films followed by discussion of the plot and character development. I never walked out, but I found it easier to tailgate (kill a six pack) a little before seeing the movie. I spent most the time trying to find my lost will to live.

To be fair, I did get to see "Of Mice and Men" with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich. I did enjoy that.

72gmc
01-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Movies I wanted to walk out on: "Octopussy" and "Home on the Range." The latter was embarassingly bad, but my daughter's choice so I had to stay. The former was a wonderful argument against that entire generation of Bond movies.

I watched "Eyes Wide Shut" on DVD with my dad, and we both agree it could have ended after the opening credits.

Viper
01-27-2008, 06:01 PM
The Bourne Ultimatum.
Pointless violence (really intense) and visually unpleasant to
endure. I left half way through.

I hear that new Rambo flick is quite violent, also.
Everyone getting killed left and right.
Hollywood just keeps feeding our already violent society more scum!!

I can't see a Bourne movie atmo. The books are good. HOW can they cast the biggest wimp as Jason Bourne? Damon as a tough guy? :rolleyes:

I agree with 72gmc, 'Octopussy' was tough to watch as a kid on WABC Sunday Night at the Movies, can't imagine in the theater. Oh well, there were hot chicas.

harlond
01-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I wanted to walk out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but had to wait for my ride. I did walk out of Prince of Tides, because it was awful, Sebastiane by Derek Jarman because the people around me got too excited, and Breaking the Waves because I got seasick. That's it; I can stand a lot I think.

MilanoTom
01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Fatal Attraction < half hour.

handsomerob
01-27-2008, 10:46 PM
I can't see a Bourne movie atmo. The books are good. HOW can they cast the biggest wimp as Jason Bourne? Damon as a tough guy? :rolleyes:

Dude, your crazy... Matt Damon is the shizzy.

As a Sophomore in High School, I thought is was the funniest movie ever. Secretly... I still enjoy it.

Terrible movie, but it had some silver linings. The best "sets" Hollywood could hire and Nicole looked better than I could have imagined.

As for me... the only movie I ever actually walked out of was Point Break. Right after they jumped out of the airplane. There are at least a dozen other movies that I had really wished for my two hours back.

Viper
01-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Dude, your crazy... Matt Damon is the shizzy.

This hurts. Like waking up and finding Shimano parts on my bike-type hurt. :bike:

jel
01-27-2008, 11:48 PM
The Elephant Man

bironi
01-28-2008, 12:38 AM
I agree with the 2-3 year wait for both movies or music, but I do miss the surprise of seeing or hearing for the first time without expectations. It is just very hard to come by. The experience at the movie theater just does not wear well with age. :beer:

sg8357
01-28-2008, 09:10 AM
American Werewolf
Austin Powers after 20m.

FX shows current movies, watched "Stealth" while riding the trainer,
pretty funny movie, it made Top Gun seem like David Mamet.

TCM + DVD recorder = happiness, movies with scripts, what a concept.

Wayne77
01-28-2008, 09:38 AM
I walked out of an art house movie by Crispin Glover, "What is it". I thought "Rubin and Ed" was pretty good (if I'm in the mood, that kind of bizarro humor is fun). "What is it" was horrible. The actors all have down-syndrome and 5 minutes into the movie they were performing lewd sex acts, killing snails, killing each other with shovel whacks to the back of the head, etc. I'm pretty open minded but all of it was too much - and given the mental condition of the actors, despicably sad to see what Crispin paid them to do. Turkeys have their place in cinema (they can be fun too), but this trash represents 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. I cringe to think about it.

I'm sure Crispin would say his movie is accomplishing exactly what he wanted it to.

I don't see too many movies, but good times can be had watching a serious movie so bad that it turns out to be a comedy (They typically turn into Mystery Science Theater 3000 moments). On another note, George Lucas should be forever banned from directing. The dialogue (especially between Anakin and that Senator princess in clown makeup - what's her name again?) in the 3 Star Wars prequels was dreadful, awkward, and hilarious at the same time.

fiamme red
01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I see far more films in movie theaters than the average person (I don't watch TV, so it's my main form of entertainment), and I've never walked out on a film. But I'm very selective about what I see, and I haven't seen a new Hollywood release in the last 20 years.

I'm going to see Goran Paskaljevic's "Tango Argentino" tonight at MoMA. It will be the 29th film that I've seen in a theater this month.

tch
01-28-2008, 12:41 PM
in me. I always stay until the end -- if I paid for it, I gotta get the whole thing I paid for. Wow, that seems dumb even as I type it.

Nonetheless, I've only walked out of one movie in my life -- Bolero. Even Bo Derek's bod couldn't redeem it. Luckily, I rented the DVD of Eyes Wide Shut; I'm home and somehow can quit there. But it was hard -- I kept at it far too long wondering how it was possible that it could be quite that bad.

Viper
01-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I dare someone to rent 'Even Horizon' with Sam Neil and Lawrence Fishburn; it's a science fiction movie which I rented and wanted to put my foot through the tv. Painful to watch, painful. I also dare ya to rent 'Outland' another sci-fi with Sean Connery as a sheriff in space.

Fixed
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
50 first dates went to the movie next door
cheers

Acotts
01-28-2008, 03:29 PM
I dare someone to rent 'Even Horizon' with Sam Neil and Lawrence Fishburn; it's a science fiction movie which I rented and wanted to put my foot through the tv. Painful to watch, painful. I also dare ya to rent 'Outland' another sci-fi with Sean Connery as a sheriff in space.

Thats funny you say that. I saw Event Horizon in the theatre with my dad and I found it one of the scariest movies I had ever seen. Though, I can see how the movie would not translate well to DVD unless you are sporting a Massive TV and a booming sound system. The subtle bassy rumble of the engines start getting in your head by the end of the movie.

Movies I walked out of:
Team America: After the puppet love scene I felt that I saw the funiest part of the movie. I really didn't think that the movie was bad, I just felt like i would rather grab a beer with my girl than sit and watch the movie for another hour.

5Grams. After a super stressfull day at work, this was the worst movie ever. In fact, it made me never want to see any downbeat movies on a workday ever again. Even now, I rarely go see sad-indie movie.

That said, No Country for Old Men rocked!!

Sphere: Loved the book. I realized pretty quickly that my one wish would be for me to have never paid 7 dollars for a ticket.

I also hate any movie or book that is about the struggles of writting a movie or a book. The pretension is just too suffocating for me. Exception: Story Garp (the book) and Adaptation (the movie).

I am very suseptible to what mood I am in.

Russell
01-29-2008, 07:17 AM
My wedding movie :)

Steelhead
01-29-2008, 11:28 AM
I went to see Atonement today with a good friend. I sat through about the first twenty minutes and found it to be slow, visually iritating, and BORING. We had driven separate cars to the theater so I asked her if she'd mind if I made my exit. I think she understood. But I got to thinking there have been a number of times when I have gone to the movies alone and said to myself -- this stinks -- and then walked out. I asked my neigbor and my exgirlfriend if they ever do/have ever done this, and both thought I was nuts.

It took almost the first hour to get the development down, which was way too long but after that it was well worth it. I dare say you missed out on a good film altogether. My wife finished the book about an hour before we got to the theater and she was very glad she did or it would have ruined the rest of the book.

Kines
01-29-2008, 11:48 AM

Not a movie but doesn't a play count?

I saw Miss Saigon in NY, great seats, didn't walk out because I was with friends, but I did read a magazine and take a nap. YAWN...

And I've walked out of one movie. I don't know it's name but it had Jackie Gleason in it and he was playing golf with Tom Hanks and it would have been in the late 80's. It was awful.

KN

michael white
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
FWIW,

I haven't walked out on a film for years. That's because I read reviews and generally only see the ones I really want to see. I don't live in a city and have to make it count when they come.

Loved the last two Bourne films; loved the casting, including Damon.

Loved Team America; almost laughed till I threw up.

Kevan
01-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I did not walk out of "Into Great Silence." If you know the movie you may agree that that is saying something.

and stick with it, but this one got to me after 45 minutes. The silence was deafening and i couldn't enjoy the crunch of my popcorn.

I had to go play in traffic afterwards.

http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/film.php?directoryname=intogreatsilence

Louis
01-29-2008, 01:42 PM
this one got to me after 45 minutes. The silence was deafening and i couldn't enjoy the crunch of my popcorn

I guess you're just not cut out for the contemplative life :)

fiamme red
01-29-2008, 01:44 PM
and stick with it, but this one got to me after 45 minutes. The silence was deafening and i couldn't enjoy the crunch of my popcorn.

I had to go play in traffic afterwards.

http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/film.php?directoryname=intogreatsilenceYou thought that was boring? Try one of Warhol's films, like Empire (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196530/): "A single shot of the Empire State Building from early evening until nearly 3 am the next day." I know someone who actually sat through that.

Kevan
01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
for sticking through the "Russian Ark".

That...I did enjoy.

Waldo
01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Home of Brave gave me a splitting headache.

fiamme red
01-29-2008, 02:18 PM
for sticking through the "Russian Ark".

That...I did enjoy.Speaking of Russian films, Bondarchuk's "War and Peace" is coming soon to a theater (http://www.burnsfilmcenter.com/films/0802series_envisioningrussia.html) near you. I've only seen the second half. It's a grand spectacle (probably the most expensive film ever made), using what looks like the whole Red Army in the battle scenes.

DukeHorn
01-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Japanese movie "Audition". The horror twist on the romance genre got a little too intense for my group.

I have to say that if the South Korean Vengeance trilogy was playing at the theaters, I'd probably have to walk out due to some of the extreme graphic violence.

Park Chan Wook is gifted but that's one demented mind he's working from.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance 2002
Oldboy 2003
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance 2005

Russell
01-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Japanese movie "Audition". The horror twist on the romance genre got a little too intense for my group.

I have to say that if the South Korean Vengeance trilogy was playing at the theaters, I'd probably have to walk out due to some of the extreme graphic violence.

Park Chan Wook is gifted but that's one demented mind he's working from.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance 2002
Oldboy 2003
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance 2005

Have you checked out "Ichi the Killer"? Very sick, it got to the point where I just wanted to see if I could make it through the whole movie. Not a bad movie, but very intense. Did get me over my morbid fascination with the torture genre of horror movies.

DukeHorn
01-29-2008, 03:14 PM
No, I'll take a tentative stab at finding it :D.

I'm actually trying to find a DVD copy of Battle Royale, which is about a class of Japanese students that are put on an island by the "government' and told that only one of them can leave the island alive (or that they all die).

79% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

Despite rumors to the contrary, the film is not banned in the United States. Rather, there has never been a distribution agreement for the film, due to its controversial nature and reportedly unreasonable distribution terms specified by Toei (specifically the price of distribution being somewhere between 1-2 million dollars and that it must be a wide release on the order of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). This, incidentally is not the first of Toei's controversial moves in regards to its properties and the Western market. These two stipulations put it outside of the range of most smaller movie distributors, and the larger distributors would not handle the film. Therefore, technically the film is not banned, but neither does a local distributor for it exist. It has been exhibited at film festivals in North America.

deechee
01-29-2008, 03:48 PM
"k-19: widowmaker" sub full of morons kill themselves. I wanted to leave so badly but I was with my ride.

"tea" some random film at a film fest my parents got free tickets for. Aside from the fact that they didn't talk about tea too much, the sound of constant water streaming was really annoying.

I don't think gore would stop me. Although I have to admit I haven't seen "Lady Vengeance" yet.