PDA

View Full Version : spoken like a true belgian

oracle
08-15-2004, 12:12 PM
axel's best post-race quote:

When asked what lies in his future, Merckx responded, "beer and french fries!"

shinomaster
08-15-2004, 01:15 PM
no kidding! I must be too Belgian then..

BumbleBeeDave
08-15-2004, 03:24 PM
. . . He really said that? That’s GREAT!! :p :p :p :banana:

BBDave

oracle
08-15-2004, 03:33 PM
he really said it (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/aug04/aug15news)

Dekonick
08-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Ahhh - Memories.

I remember this spot where I used to go for Frites + Beer -

It is a small town called Jesus-Eik, located just outside of Brussels. There is a national forest there that has paved walking paths with dedicated cycling area's as well. Along the road next to the forest is a group of resteraunts - and a few Cafe's. I believe I had my first real beer there when I was 10 years old - yes they will serve you in Belgium (just not more than one) A beer and Frites, covered in Mayo (a la Belgian...)

I never saw Axel or Eddy :p :beer:

We (all of my childhood friends) would go together to the Friterie and get Frites and a beer. This was a weekend ritual about once a week during the summer. :D

I remember when I moved back to the states at age 14 I couldnt believe that beer was not served unless you were 18. Its interesting, really - I always noted that in Belgium there did not seem to be anywhere near the abuse of alcohol we have in the USA. It was no big deal to get a beer...therefore no one gave it a second thought.

Mmmm now I want a good Chimay Bleu, and Frites...