PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Softshell Sizing

SponsorsWanted
01-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm planning on purchasing the Rapha Lightweight Softshell jacket at the sale price on rapha's website. I fit the chest measurement of a sz medium jacket at 36", but I'm 6'2'', 160-5pds. and have concerns about the sleeve and body length. My torso is 18" measured from the center of my collarbone to my hips and my arms are 20" long, armpit-wrist. If anyone can provide some measurements of a medium jacket that would be great, but any info would be appreciated. Thanks

corky
01-26-2008, 04:59 PM
E-mail 'em.... they're pretty responsive/helpful

willy in pacifi
01-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm planning on purchasing the Rapha Lightweight Softshell jacket at the sale price on rapha's website. I fit the chest measurement of a sz medium jacket at 36", but I'm 6'2'', 160-5pds. and have concerns about the sleeve and body length. My torso is 18" measured from the center of my collarbone to my hips and my arms are 20" long, armpit-wrist. If anyone can provide some measurements of a medium jacket that would be great, but any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I just got my medium in the mail yesterday. I am 5'10", 150 and it fits nice but just the slightest bit snug. I am sure the large would be too big. If they had a Med/Lrg it would be perfect. My only issue with it being snug would be when I get out on the bike which I have not done yet.

But you being 2" taller and 10+ pounds more it would be too snug for you I believe.

If you call them ask if you can order one in each size then return the one that you do not fit in. Since they have free return shipping this would beat returning the wrong size and having to spend another $20 to ship the right size.

wily in pacifica

SponsorsWanted
01-26-2008, 06:08 PM
I appreciate the info, I'm not very worried about the jacket being too snug as I have a very slim upper body (36" chest, no gut), my main concern is the length. I called a shop that carries the brand and was told the chest is 54cm long (bottom of collar-bottom of jacket) and the arms 68cm, if these measurements are accurate (are they?) the fit would probably work.

willy in pacifi
01-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I appreciate the info, I'm not very worried about the jacket being too snug as I have a very slim upper body (36" chest, no gut), my main concern is the length. I called a shop that carries the brand and was told the chest is 54cm long (bottom of collar-bottom of jacket) and the arms 68cm, if these measurements are accurate (are they?) the fit would probably work.

I just measured my armpit to wrist and it is 20" according to my wife. The med has about an extra inch so you will be good. When I zip the jacket all the way up the snug area is in the armpits. So if you are thin then it seems the medium is the way to go.

willy

saab2000
01-26-2008, 08:47 PM
I am very intrigued by Rapha stuff. It seems outrageously expensive but also seems good. If it lasts years and is comfy and mindless in its use I could imagine spending the $$$$.

pdxmech13
01-26-2008, 11:48 PM
super size it !

SimonC
01-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm similar proportions to you, 165lb or so, 6ft 3in and about a 38" suit jacket / 36" true chest, and I fit a small Rapha jacket - the arms are nice and long too. YMMV, certainly judging from the experiences of others on here.

fixednwinter
01-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I am very intrigued by Rapha stuff. It seems outrageously expensive but also seems good. If it lasts years and is comfy and mindless in its use I could imagine spending the $$$$.

Rapha's quality is easily the equal of Assos and Giordana's Body Clone line. Some of my Rapha stuff is in its third winter. So far, almost all of it still looks new - the stitching and quality of the material is certainly high quality. Most of their jerseys are partially wool, so I find it less clammy to wear than poly.

The Softshell jacket in discussion here is the best unlined cycling jacket I've ever owned (I have the slightly heavier standard version). The design, detailing and materials are outstanding. It's probably the best balance between keeping out rain and breathability.

Towards the end of the winter season, Rapha's winter gear begins to go on sale (happening right now with the tights and LS jerseys on their site, rapha.cc), and the same thing happens in the fall for the summer stuff. That's usually a good time to buy, with the price down and still a decent selection in sizing.

Ed Moses
01-28-2008, 01:22 AM
If you keep any eye on the Rapha site this week, they should start a wider version on the Winter sale - or so the email from them last week said......

This is another vote for the Softshell, I have last year's version and could not be happier with it. I have used it through the year on warmer wet days and cold foul days - with varying amounts of layers underneath.

Regards,

Ed

BTW I am very new to the Serotta family having just purchased a Legend ST from Cyclefit!!

Longdaddy
01-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Ed

BTW I am very new to the Serotta family having just purchased a Legend ST from Cyclefit!![/QUOTE]

Ed-
Congrats. Enjoy.

SponsorsWanted
01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Ordered the jacket yesterday, $220 is not a bad price for a nice softshell.

Mshue
02-18-2008, 07:09 AM
Ordered the jacket yesterday, $220 is not a bad price for a nice softshell.

If so, what do you think?

Thanks

coylifut
02-18-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm 5'10, about 163 and wear medium in the Rapha jerseys and large in the outerwear (jackets and vests). I'm slightly muscular with a very narrow waist. I can wear a medium in the outerwear, but I find once I start stuffing pockets underneath for long rides, a little bit of extra room keeps it from pulling on the shoulders and the neck. The soft shell seems to be fitted slightly larger than their other outer wear items so I hope your medium fits well. Like mentioned before, the free return shipping is a plus.

My other comments about Rapha is that it's worth the $ when purchased on sale. The rain jacket is perhaps the best styled article of cycling clothing ever. However, I do have some complaints as well. Sticking with the rain jacket wouldn't you think that a jacket that retails for over 3 bills should have pit zips and adjustable cuffs. The elastic cuffs makes it difficult to regulate heat.

If you don't have couple of their breathable cycling caps, run out and get one in black and one in white right now. Saturday, at the end of 65 or so miles, guys were wiping sweat out of their eyes, but my Rapha cap was completely dry. The winter caap is great as well. I find it slightly large which is a plus because I wear it backwards and the coverage is excellent. The socks are worth the money as well. The jerseys with their fit, pockets and material can't be beat.

After using merino base layers by Rapha and others I've decided that Craft and Hammer ones work better for me. Merino gets wet far faster and retains the water far longer than the Craft layers.

manet
02-18-2008, 03:17 PM
... i am slightly larger. 5'11" and fat. XL fits real nice.

gt6267a
03-03-2008, 08:46 AM
the softshell sale has me interested but the sizing seems hard to know. i am looking at this thread and wondering if i might get some feedback for someone 5'7" and 175 with 16.5" x 32" shirt and 42 short jacket. the rapha website seems to point me towards a small but never has a small fit me. i know in another thread grant m spoke to the medium being very big, but i weigh 30lbs more which could impact sizing.

one problem that i have with a lot of clothing is sleeve length. reading that someone who is 5'10" wears a medium has me thinking either i need to try the small to get the arm length right or pass on rapha due to the length of the sleeves.

anyone in 5'7" land with a more similar weight try this stuff out?

SimonC
03-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I fit a size small (6ft 3in, 155lbs) and the sleeves are long enough for me. I suspect if you're looking at a medium the sleeves will be comedy-length compared to your arms.

Johny
03-03-2008, 06:46 PM
the softshell sale has me interested but the sizing seems hard to know. i am looking at this thread and wondering if i might get some feedback for someone 5'7" and 175 with 16.5" x 32" shirt and 42 short jacket. the rapha website seems to point me towards a small but never has a small fit me. i know in another thread grant m spoke to the medium being very big, but i weigh 30lbs more which could impact sizing.

one problem that i have with a lot of clothing is sleeve length. reading that someone who is 5'10" wears a medium has me thinking either i need to try the small to get the arm length right or pass on rapha due to the length of the sleeves.

anyone in 5'7" land with a more similar weight try this stuff out?

Grant is too fit (I think he was talking about Club jerseys). ;)

I'm 5'7", 135-140 these days (my chest is 36"). For Club jerseys, both small and medium work for me. Medium is indeed a bit long but comfy. Small is really for slim racer type fit (kind of tight...I need to be careful when I take them off).

I have a Large Classic Softshell. I use it for raining days in fall and winter. Sleeves are a bit long but as a outer layer in winter, it's ok.

SponsorsWanted
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I bought the medium, the fit would be perfect but the sleeves are about 1" too short. I must be the missing link.

BillyBear
03-03-2008, 09:01 PM
bring on the XXL...220 lbs 48 chest

gt6267a
03-03-2008, 10:27 PM
ok dudes ... i love the internet ...

small and (6ft 3in, 155lbs) and the sleeves are long enough for me.

5'7" ... 135-140 these days = Large Classic Softshell.

i am picturing a dude my height and a dude who is 8" taller who weigh almost the same wearing the same size clothing ... either one of you is wearing clothing that does not fit or someone is getting photoshopped hard.

i am also not getting how someone is 5'7" @ 135 with a 36" chest. i am 5'7" @ 175 and my girlfriend measured my chest at 32". do we measure differently? i wear a 42 size blazer and my no fat weight is about 145. even if i have more fat, how is a chest larger than mine when my 0% body fat weight is greater than the one with fat? i love fitting over the internet!!!!!! :) its like as many questions are resolved as created!!!! i apreciate the responses. if there are others examples in this height / weight range ... please let me know!!!!!

SimonC
03-04-2008, 05:02 AM
my girlfriend measured my chest at 32". i wear a 42 size blazer

Is your blazer seriously baggy? I can't see how you wear a 42 blazer weighing what you do...

Too Tall
03-04-2008, 06:32 AM
bring on the XXL...220 lbs 48 chest
The XXL fits me like a glove if I wear no more than baselayer and a long sleeve jersey and I'm 6'8", 17 1/2/37 in a dress shirt, 44 chest b cup ;) I've got the softshell not the lightweight they are selling.

manet
03-04-2008, 07:26 AM
The XXL fits me like a glove if I wear no more than baselayer and a long sleeve jersey and I'm 6'8", 17 1/2/37 in a dress shirt, 44 chest b cup ;) I've got the softshell not the lightweight they are selling.

errr dewd, u got the one they're selling. the udder one has the goofy gin drinkers leather shoulder gun patch.

i ordered the XL. the fckrs sent me an XXL... kant even read their own packing slip. ugh, fckrs. i hate catalogue ordering. the fckn web sux.

on a good day, manet is 5'11", somewhat squarely shouldered. an XL ismo.

gt6267a
03-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Is your blazer seriously baggy? I can't see how you wear a 42 blazer weighing what you do...

Blazer is not baggy, but I do wear a short. Otherwise the pockets are in the wrong place and is very long ... might as well be a dress. Apparently my shoulders are supposed to be mounted on a taller person.

Too Tall
03-04-2008, 09:19 AM
errr dewd, u got the one they're selling. the udder one has the goofy gin drinkers leather shoulder gun patch.

i ordered the XL. the fckrs sent me an XXL... kant even read their own packing slip. ugh, fckrs. i hate catalogue ordering. the fckn web sux.

on a good day, manet is 5'11", somewhat squarely shouldered. an XL ismo.

Eat more.

Johny
03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
i am 5'7" @ 175 and my girlfriend measured my chest at 32".

Are you sure that your girlfriend measured your chest or something else? ;)

36" is only about 91cm...really small...32" is 81cm.

It depends on how you use jackets...if you wear layers in really cold weather...you want a bigger one.

gt6267a
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Are you sure that your girlfriend measured your chest or something else? ;)

36" is only about 91cm...really small...32" is 81cm.

It depends on how you use jackets...if you wear layers in really cold weather...you want a bigger one.

how are you measuring?

Johny
03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
how are you measuring?

"Start at the fullest part of your chest and wrap the measuring tape under your arms and around your back until you return to the starting point." http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/mens-guide.html

SimonC
03-04-2008, 04:13 PM
"Start at the fullest part of your chest and wrap the measuring tape under your arms and around your back until you return to the starting point."

I've just done this - actual chest measurement (nipple height) is 36", weight 155lbs, height 6ft 3in, about 8% body fat last time I measured. Size small in Rapha, Assos etc (Euro cut), size small in stuff like Craft and Pearl Izumi (US cut) is too baggy generally. Except length, where I have a problem getting stuff with long enough legs (particularly bib tights)