PDA

View Full Version : nite ridin

Fixed
01-26-2008, 02:22 PM
bro few thing are as nice as gliding along at nite .a part of my ride that i've grown to love this winter .. anyone like nite rides ? :beer:
cheers

Erik.Lazdins
01-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Most of my weekday rides roll out at 4-4:30AM - I see a few owls, the cars I see are "regulars" who mostly give me a wide courtesy space. I see a few coyote, fox, and hawks at dawn.

I don't dig the skunks though!

ericspin
01-26-2008, 09:25 PM
fixed, where you riding at night? Ybor?

Fixed
01-26-2008, 10:12 PM
fixed, where you riding at night? Ybor?
seminole heights ,downtown, , hyde park ...sometimes ybor .i have a house in seminole heights now
a fix group rides out of bay shore publix on thurs. eve. around 7 pm
cheers join me anytime
butch

Blue Jays
01-26-2008, 10:37 PM
It was enjoyable when I was a kid with a balloon-tired, headlighted, upright bicycle. :beer:

TimD
01-27-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm now too old to do it without lights, reflectors, normal blood chemistry, and a helmet, though. :banana:

Tom
01-27-2008, 08:58 AM
When the days get short around here, rolling out in the dark is like stealing. Much fun.

Some of the locals are doing a century in August starting at 5pm. That should be a lot of fun. I've meant to head out for a midnight ramble for a couple of years now but never got around to it. I'm afraid I might get addicted.

woolly
01-27-2008, 09:27 AM
It was enjoyable when I was a kid with a balloon-tired, headlighted, upright bicycle. :beer:

I love riding at night. Most of my after-dark road rides tend to be closer to home. Rolling through the dark, quiet suburban streets always reminds me of my younger days. A cool early-summer night, good BMX bike, and a not-unreasonable set of parental rules made for some really good teenage memories. I even managed to follow those rules most of the time (basically, "don't leave the city limits, be home by midnight, don't do anything to get yourself arrested or suspended from school"), though it was less common for all of them to be followed at the same time :D Back then, helmets, lights, reflectors, etc were not even an after-thought. Good times, good times.

Early yesterday morning was a great ride. Woke up early & saw it was still dark and very foggy. Couldn't pass that up - hopped on my Pacer 650B conversion & spent a blissful hour roaming the streets before daybreak. Had one driver mention to me at a stoplight that my Dinotte tail light made me easier to see in the fog than some cars. I guess old age has helped me gain SOME level of common sense, though my wife may debate that notion. ;)

I need to get back in the habit of doing some local MTB night trail rides. Those are fun too!

mike p
01-27-2008, 10:14 AM
At least a few times a year I'm out riding and get home well after dark with no lites. I love it, makes me feel like I'm 14 years old again. Every time it happens I say to myself I'm going to get some lites and do some nite rides, but I think part of the fun is riding without lites.

Mike

brians647
01-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Most of my weekday rides roll out at 4-4:30AM - I see a few owls, the cars I see are "regulars" who mostly give me a wide courtesy space. I see a few coyote, fox, and hawks at dawn.

I don't dig the skunks though!

4-4:30? Dude, I've read about people doing that. How do you function the rest of the day? what time do you go to bed?

I'd need to have an intravenous Red Bull drip begin around 3:30 am to even give me a prayer of getting up that early.

Erik.Lazdins
01-27-2008, 12:55 PM
4-4:30? Dude, I've read about people doing that. How do you function the rest of the day? what time do you go to bed?

I'd need to have an intravenous Red Bull drip begin around 3:30 am to even give me a prayer of getting up that early.

I'm in bed about 9-9:30 most weeknights - I sleep late on weekends @ 6:30 AM

I can't function as well without the daily ride. The apres velo coffee hits the spot - especially when its cold out.

:beer: :beer:

Mud
01-27-2008, 01:11 PM
We rode this weekend starting each ride at about 25 degrees but night is a little too cold yet in North Jersey.