PDA

View Full Version : March Cycling Trip - West Coast. Where should I go?

DarrenCT
01-26-2008, 09:17 AM
ok so im going to be on the west coast in mid march. i might go to deer valley and ski for a couple of days and then id like to go somewhere to ride for 3-4 full days.

problem: im not sure where the hell to go.

requirements of the venue:

1. cool hip town with good bars and good beer
2. cool roads with lotsa climbing and most importantly fantastic scenery cuz i'll be riding all freakin day
3. somewhat reasonable pricing for lodging. id rather not pay 300/night to stay at some cool b&b since i'll be riding all day, get home, shower and go drink some beers

thoughts? any advice would be great.

cali? zona???

J.Greene
01-26-2008, 09:20 AM
The pictures I have seen of the hampsten training camp make that part of California look very appealing.

JG

DarrenCT
01-26-2008, 09:30 AM
The pictures I have seen of the hampsten training camp make that part of California look very appealing.

JG

http://publicartzt.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?caid=67b0de21b32bb74a8485&a=67b0de21b32bb74a8485&auto=0&idx=19&m=1&d=1201361427568

this looks pretty sweet!

mgm777
01-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Darren - If I were you, given your prerequisites, I would go visit the Santa Barbara area - or Central Coast area of CA in general. You could stay in Santa Barbara (a bit pricey, but deals can be found). You should also consider Santa Maria, Solvang, Lompoc, Pismo Beach, San Luis Obisbo....all these areas have great beer, food, and wine nearby and World Class riding. The only catch is, around that time of year, sometimes it can be rainy. I lived in Southern Cal for 15 years before moving back to CO last year. The Central Coast is simply beautiful and a great cycling/eating/beer drinking/wine growing/rocket launching area.

J.Greene
01-26-2008, 09:46 AM
http://publicartzt.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?caid=67b0de21b32bb74a8485&a=67b0de21b32bb74a8485&auto=0&idx=19&m=1&d=1201361427568

this looks pretty sweet!

That is what I'm talking about... The inland pics look good too. If it were not for us being in the heart of the race season I'd have gone to the hampsten camp this year.

JG

rwsaunders
01-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Do the Hampsten training camp D so that we can have a firsthand report. Post an ad in CL prior the trip and perhaps you'll have women waiting in every town too. Remember though, no unlicensed masseuse this time. :cool:

swoop
01-26-2008, 10:13 AM
solvang is freaking gorgeous riding.

kgreene10
01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
My vote is for Marin County. Stay in Fairfax or in any little town up the coast and ride Mt Tam, Highway 1, the Marin Headlands, and maybe even parts of the wine country. It's absolutely gorgeous out there, but winter weather can be rainy and cool. What does MarinRider say?

bcm119
01-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Solvang area is wine country-- its a beer wasteland. The only good beer areas in SoCal are in San Diego county.

I think the Bay Area is your best bet. It could rain, but then again it could rain in SoCal then too. I think the Santa Rosa - Healdsburg corridor might be best for a combination of riding and beer. Santa Rosa is home to Russian River brewing, and Healdsburg has bear republic. Its also Moonlight country, the most underrated brewery in the area imho, along with Anderson Valley, North Coast, etc. within a few hours drive.

chakatrain
01-26-2008, 11:46 AM
...but lodging might be a little expensive. There are a number of spectacular rides, with any amount of climbing you want, great bars, great local microbrew, and all the fun of the SF scene. North Bay might be a bit quieter and more affordable. A Fairfax B&B could be a good time. Napa/Sonoma also have some outstanding riding in gorgeous scenery, and could be more affordable.

DarrenCT
01-26-2008, 11:47 AM
all good info.

i'll need to do more research and narrow things down.

looks like cali is the winner at this point :beer:

rwsaunders
01-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Darren...it might be too far east or west for you, but here's a secluded beach in China.

SoCalSteve
01-26-2008, 08:19 PM
all good info.

i'll need to do more research and narrow things down.

looks like cali is the winner at this point :beer:

It's a big State with lots of diversification. Pick one area (or maybe a couple) as the whole State will take you the whole month to travel-see-ride-drink.

There are good beers in the "Solvang area", just not as many as other places...

Firestone is a great example...

Anyway, if you are there the first part of March, there is the Solvang Century. The town and surrounding area's fill up, but you can still get a room close enough by...

Also, if you went to the Solvang area, you could travel to LA for a day or two (its only a couple hours away) and ride with the "SoCal boyz"... :banana:

Just some random ramblings...

Steve

KeithS
01-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Another fun place in the central coast is Paso Robles. Cowboy country, darn good Zinfandel too. Great party town and meets the cost effective lodging you are looking for, the beer was really great. We stayed at a bed and breakfast at a winery (Tobin James) east of Paso Robles and spent time touring (not riding). Kinda related to the owner of the winery, PM me if you want more details. I have ridden in Napa, couldn't have been more fun. Not at all cost effective, but you only go around once.

Bud_E
01-27-2008, 02:22 AM
Another fun place in the central coast is Paso Robles. Cowboy country, darn good Zinfandel too. Great party town and meets the cost effective lodging you are looking for, the beer was really great. We stayed at a bed and breakfast at a winery (Tobin James) east of Paso Robles and spent time touring (not riding). Kinda related to the owner of the winery, PM me if you want more details. I have ridden in Napa, couldn't have been more fun. Not at all cost effective, but you only go around once.

+1 Paso Robles/ Atascadero / San Luis Obispo area is a great bicycle riding area. Check this : http://www.slobc.org/Home.html -- If you click the "local rides" link, there are many descriptions of great rides in that area. Rides from there out to the coast are beautiful.

Ken Robb
01-27-2008, 01:35 PM
there are 2 Motel 6s at the same ramp off the 101 in San Luis Obispo. They were built as a different brand and so are nicer than a typical M-6 and they are very reasonable. As others have said, the riding in the area is good. SD County is a lot less likely to be rainy at that time of the year than the Bay Area. Lots of bargain hotels here then as it is between the Winter and Summer tourist seasons. Too many micro-breweries to count.

DarrenCT
01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
there are 2 Motel 6s at the same ramp off the 101 in San Luis Obispo. They were built as a different brand and so are nicer than a typical M-6 and they are very reasonable. As others have said, the riding in the area is good. SD County is a lot less likely to be rainy at that time of the year than the Bay Area. Lots of bargain hotels here then as it is between the Winter and Summer tourist seasons. Too many micro-breweries to count.

good good info.

i'll make a decision in the next couple weeks. i like the cheap lodging and minimal rain part.

is there a good lbs i can ship my bike to that u know of?

thnx
-d

Louis
01-27-2008, 08:22 PM

another option: Call to see if it's OK, then ship to the hotel / motel.

Ginger
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Take the days and sign up for Steve's Spring camp.
There should be a good, fun forum group (myself, Pete, Tom B, Jack...and Steve of course, at last count) there and plenty of red wine and good riding.

shinomaster
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
I thought you were coming to Portland?

DarrenCT
01-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I thought you were coming to Portland?

thats my 1st stop.

not sure what to do from there.

will the weather to good enough to stay and ride there?

can u get a few days off to ride????

shinomaster
01-27-2008, 09:22 PM
thats my 1st stop.

not sure what to do from there.

will the weather to good enough to stay and ride there?

can u get a few days off to ride????

It could be really really nice, or really MP. depends on the rain. Sure, I can get a day off to ride. There are killer hills around here. :bike:

morty
01-27-2008, 10:14 PM
+1 SLO and Solvang, though this time of year can be iffy with weather as stated.

If you do opt for the Santa Barbara area, the ride around Lake Casitas in nearby Ventura is a worthwhile venture with lots of climbing and scenery to enjoy. One of the clubs I occasionally ride with does a metric century ride that goes up to the lake and continues on through Montecito and Summerland. Here (http://www.covinacycleclub.org/pdfs/RonsPiece.pdf) is a sample route slip, jfi. Dave Lettieri at Fastrack Bicycles in Santa Barbara is a pretty nice guy, too.

Down further south towards San Diego, Fallbrook has some great areas to ride.

California has so many places to choose from, you won't be disappointed with any of the suggestions given here.

Ken Robb
01-27-2008, 11:30 PM
good good info.

i'll make a decision in the next couple weeks. i like the cheap lodging and minimal rain part.

thnx
-d
I know California Bicycles on La Jolla Blvd. in La Jolla is good. I think UC Cyclery on Villa La Jolla Drive would also be good. I don't know any shops near SLO.