PDA

View Full Version : New "wet finish" Ritchey WCS stems --better match to carbon components?

FMS_rider
01-26-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm in the final stages of selecting components for my Legend that is supposed to be shipped on Feb 8 (!). The seatpost is going to be a Ritchey WCS carbon and the bar a carbon FSA SL-K Compact (Ritchey doesn't have a bend that works for me and I don't like the look of FSA stems and posts).

I want an aluminum stem, and from the pictures on the Ritchey site http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/Templates/eproducts_single.aspx?id=28841&live=true I think the new glossy WCS stems would be better match to the carbon post and bar. Unfortunately I would have to special order one from my lbs and it probably wouldn't be returnable because they are not going to stock both the matt and wet finish lines (at least in part from concerns about the durability of the glossy finish and because the shot-peening used to make the matt surface strengthens the aluminum).

So, has anyone seen one/ bought one and if so, what do you think? Howabout the concerns regarding durability of the finish and strength?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Lew

DarrenCT
01-26-2008, 08:46 AM
personally, i like the oval or older wcs stems. they are a bit less obtrusive.

however, that new carbon version is nice but i dont like the huge ritchey logo's

FMS_rider
01-26-2008, 09:34 AM
personally, i like the oval or older wcs stems. they are a bit less obtrusive.

however, that new carbon version is nice but i dont like the huge ritchey logo's I agree with your comment about the huge logos, and also wish the face plate were a bit toned down, but despite those issues I still like the aluminum WCS. I do prefer the look of the carbon WCS but am not ready to trust an all carbon stem (my old body cannot tolerate crashes like it used to). However the primary reason for my choice is that I really like the look and adjustability of the Ritchey 2-bolt carbon post and want a matching stem (the adjustability is not as good as 2-bolt fore-aft designs but is very much better than all 1-bolt designs I have used).

Thanks for your comments.
Lew

guyintense
01-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I used to like the WCS but I'm not so sure anymore. Does this look like normal wear?

saab2000
01-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I used to like the WCS but I'm not so sure anymore. Does this look like normal wear?

That'll buff out. Today's riders have no sense for working on stuff...... gets a scratch and they want to throw it away!

Longdaddy
01-26-2008, 10:38 AM
...what happened?

cadence231
01-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Oooo. 140mm. That's a stance.

FMS_rider
01-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I used to like the WCS but I'm not so sure anymore. Does this look like normal wear? --so much for the argument that shot peening is necessary for sufficient strength!

However, I still would like to know what the wet finish looks like "in person". Perhaps they have not yet been shipped to dealers?

michael white
01-26-2008, 11:13 AM
That'll buff out. Today's riders have no sense for working on stuff...... gets a scratch and they want to throw it away!

+1 why, when I was a wee lad we reforged our own stems all the time! these punks nowadays act like money grows on trees!

dvs cycles
01-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I can't picture that just happening all at once. Had to bee some sort of crack developing or crash induced failure.

BdaGhisallo
01-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I have a 4 Axis 44 with the wet finish. I just got off the bike but give me half an hour and I'll post a pic comparing it to the regular 4Axis and the 4Axis carbon.

Geoff

saab2000
01-26-2008, 11:27 AM
+1 why, when I was a wee lad we reforged our own stems all the time! these punks nowadays act like money grows on trees!

Word. These pussies who have spare bikes. Even that punk in the Tour who had some local kid operate the bellows for him when he was rebrazing his frame. He got thrown off the race and deserved it.

What'll they think of next? "Quick Release" hubs? Gears that shift with a lever not on the seat tube?

BdaGhisallo
01-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Here's my best attempt to show the different finishes. My camera skills suck a good bit!

I think the carbon finish is the best looking. The wet finish is a bit too wet looking imo.

FMS_rider
01-26-2008, 12:56 PM
..... The wet finish is a bit too wet looking imo.
Hmmm ... hadn't thought of that possibility --but after seeing the 3 of them together I think I agree.

Thanks for taking the time to post the image!
Lew

shinomaster
01-26-2008, 01:03 PM
I read in velonews or somewhere that the pretty carbon finish cracked around the bolts when installed.

Blue Jays
01-26-2008, 02:39 PM
The Ritchey WCS Carbon 4Axis (http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/Templates/eproducts_single.aspx?id=23585&live=true) is an alloy stem encased in carbon fiber. I'm holding one in my hands right now for a carbon fiber bike I'm building.
It's clearly built of two materials and that's precisely how they describe the construction methodology in the Ritchey website.

http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/assets/Products/Road/Stems/stem_wcs_matrix4axis.jpg

01-26-2008, 02:57 PM

That's called "wear and tear." It isn't warrantied.

FMS_rider
01-26-2008, 03:30 PM
The Ritchey WCS Carbon 4Axis (http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/Templates/eproducts_single.aspx?id=23585&live=true) is an alloy stem encased in carbon fiber. I'm holding one in my hands right now for a carbon fiber bike I'm building.
It's clearly built of two materials and that's precisely how they describe the construction methodology in the Ritchey website.

http://ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey~Logic/Ritchey~Site/assets/Products/Road/Stems/stem_wcs_matrix4axis.jpgThat changes everything, once again. I will now take a hard look at one of those at my lbs (and check my bank account).

Thanks for the information.
Lew

Blue Jays
01-26-2008, 03:37 PM
FMS_rider, the nice thing about the WCS Carbon 4Axis is that it combines the advantages of both materials and is stronger than either one alone. I shared your same concerns about an all-carbon stem, so this was the perfect solution.
You're looking at about $200 MSRP for that stem. The primarily-white graphics make it easy to match pretty much anything. Good luck and enjoy!

:)

jtferraro
01-27-2008, 07:55 AM
I've been interested in the new '44' stem. It's marginally heavier but is supposed to be significantly stiffer, plus it will be a better match to my 'wet' looking carbon frameset. Thanks for posting the pics, Geoff. Do you feel any differences in their stiffness levels?

Lew, just curious (b/c I have the 2-bolter), have you tried the WCS carbon 1-bolt seatpost too?

Thanks,

LegendRider
01-27-2008, 08:36 AM

Let me guess - you were just riding along...

wasfast
01-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I have the Carbon Evolution bars, 4 axis carbon stem and FSA seatpost on my dry bike. The finish match is fine. I wanted the 25mm setback so got the FSA but in retrospect, would have gotten the matching Ritchey if I did it again.

The bars/stem have been on the bike a year, off 3 times and no issues with clear coat cracking. Still look like new. Got 3K+ miles this last year.

I do recommend the nifty little torque tool that Ritchey sells. Preset to 5NM

FMS_rider
01-27-2008, 09:25 AM
I've been interested in the new '44' stem. It's marginally heavier but is supposed to be significantly stiffer, plus it will be a better match to my 'wet' looking carbon frameset. Thanks for posting the pics, Geoff. Do you feel any differences in their stiffness levels?

Lew, just curious (b/c I have the 2-bolter), have you tried the WCS carbon 1-bolt seatpost too?

Thanks, I was warned off the new 1-bolter by my lbs guru who was concerned about its durability after previewing it at a bike show. His opinion seems to have been vindicated when it was recalled at about the time it was first shipped. I presume they will get it right, but there is no chance that I will get to try it before my frame arrives in ~2 weeks so I am going with the 2-bolt side-by-sider.

Lew

guyintense
01-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Let me guess - you were just riding along...

I took that stem off a friends mountain bike and as a matter of fact he was jra. Now granted, it was an older stem and he had crashed a week earlier but there was no visible damage to stem, at least none that I could see. In retrospect, maybe I should have looked closer. Luckily for my friend he was riding support for a local marathon on the road when it did let go in what I thought was a pretty spectacular fashion. All he got out of it was a few scratches and a bruised ego.
I sent photos to Ritchey and offered to send them the stem. They thanked me for the photos but never asked to inspect the stem.
I posted that photo as a warning to fellow riders that these parts don't last forever and to be especially leery of those "lightweight" parts. The weight savings come at a price.