PDA

View Full Version : How often (in miles) do you degrease your chain?

Louis
08-14-2004, 08:42 PM
I know we’ve discussed lubes ad nauseam, but a quick search did not find much on this subject. On another thread Dekonick mentioned that that s/he degreased her/his chain every 100 miles. That about how often I re-lube, and nowhere near the rate at which I degrease. What do you do?

I’d be particularly interested in hearing from ProLink users, since that’s what I use. (Used to use While Lightning - what a mess...) To keep things simple, lets all assume a 9-speed chain in somewhat ideal road use: dry, non-dusty conditions.

Louis

amg
08-14-2004, 08:46 PM
I degrease my chain about every 150-200 miles and then reapply fresh chain lube. I don't know if this is really necessary, but that's what I do. I use Finish Line lube and my chains hold up pretty well. I use Campy 10 spd chains.

Antonio :beer:

coylifut
08-14-2004, 08:50 PM
100 miles is about right. However, I've been lazy lately.

rePhil
08-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Using the "Forum" lube in dry conditions I wipe down the chain after every or every other ride, and lube it around 250 miles. I take it off and put it in the parts washer when it looks grungy.

Tom Robison
08-14-2004, 08:54 PM
About every 2-3 weeks which is about 300-450 miles. Tried ProLink. Went back to Tri-flow, although I'm thinking of going back to ProLink.

Tom

caffeine power
08-14-2004, 09:25 PM
at ~1000 miles I'll shoot the ***** out of it with Gunk Engine Degreaser & let it soak, then I wash it off with water. Then I use Brake Cleaner (which leaves absolutely no residue whatsoever) and let it dry in the sun. Then I soak it with Pedro's Road lube. It may not be enviro-friendly using the automotive products but then neither was the refining of all the titanium & carbon fiber to make our bikes. I get ~5000 miles out of a DuraAce chain & ~6000 from the Sedis chains on the Ergo bikes. I put a SRAM 89R on the Mektronic bike two weeks ago and we'll see how it does for lube schedule.

Peter
08-14-2004, 09:28 PM
I degrease every 1-2000 miles. Yes; you read that right! It's not very precise but it's a fact of my life. I choose to degrease when the chain looks like a chia-pet. I ride rain or shine and have no mercy on my equipment. When you're riding in inclement weather as often as I am, you would be spending too much time on maintenance if you tried to clean your chain every week or after every wet ride.

So when things look scuzzy, I clean. Otherwise, I ride.

bags27
08-14-2004, 11:08 PM
This question has been on my mind, because around 1000 miles ago, I put on Dumonde Tech Lite, and I have not had to clean the chain or lube again. I look and I look, but the cassette is as clean as when it first went on; ditto the chain, and still no reason to add more lube. Dumonde Tech enjoys a great reputation. But this is ridiculous. I remember someone writing that a single bottle might last a lifetime. I bought three bottles to get free shipping, and now I may have to leave it to my kids in my will!

davep
08-15-2004, 10:59 AM
I use ProLink and lube at least once a week (100 -150) miles.Every 3 - 4 weeks I remove the chain (SRAM link) and soak it in mineral spirits until clean. In fact, that'son the schedule for today.

awd
09-10-2004, 06:05 PM
bags27 - I totally agree. I use their "Lite" I get 350-400+ between applying. Even when forced to ride in the rain, it doesn't seem to effect how long it lasts. Mt. Bike riding it hold up very well also. I use "Original" as recommended. Very impressed with Dumonde Tech. Just don't apply to much. Simple following the direction and a bottle will last a long time due to not having to apply very often. Wipe and ride.

awd
09-11-2004, 11:31 AM
I only "degreased" my chain the one time before starting with Dumonde Tech. Have never used anything but a rag or soap, water and a brush.