:no:

A.L.Breguet
01-26-2008, 05:19 AM
Hmm, crotchless.
Somewhere in New Zealand?
That's baaaad.

Blue Jays
01-26-2008, 05:31 AM
My opinion on those bright one-piece bodysuits: Ewe!

stevep
01-26-2008, 06:03 AM
careful,
bb dave wears one of those.
looks good on him unless yr behind him
ouch.

BumbleBeeDave
01-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Never crotchless. Too drafty.

And purple is definitely not my color.

BBD

david
01-26-2008, 07:31 AM
reminds me of mardi gras.

Karin Kirk
01-26-2008, 02:06 PM
With all the demand for wool jerseys, the sheep have no choice but to wear the leftover, uncool lycra.

Louis
01-26-2008, 02:11 PM
With all the demand for wool jerseys, the sheep have no choice but to wear the leftover, uncool lycra.

Actually, the story I heard is that the sheep got tired of the scratchy wool and decided to to hi-tech. Plus they don't have to worry about moths.

01-26-2008, 02:45 PM

These sheep just have an identity crisis. They think they are chamois goats and already have the whole saddle contact thing addressed.

Seriously, when you raise sheep for their fleeces, you have to keep them clean. And it goes without, ... umm, saying .... that you don't cover up the rear. Only a homebound cyclist in midwinter looks at this photo and thinks like the OP.

Ginger
01-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Those are show sheep (those appear to be Hampshires, a meat/mutton breed) and those cute little lycra covers are called Lamb Tubes.

Basically you wash the sheep and then put the coat on it to help compact and smooth the wool...and keep it clean til show time.

You can even get the lamb tubes in leopard print...or zebra (dave...just in case you were considering..)

I've seen them used on wool sheep as well, but I've never thought it was a particularly good idea. Something that allows the sheep sweat to dissipate without rubbing the wool together (look! a felted sheep!) is a much better idea (hence many cotton coats on sheep)

Those particular tubes are too small for those sheep. Notice the butt part of the sheep sticking out? That will put a mark in the wool at the edge of the coat that the show person will have to card out and trim to make smooth...PITA...

Here's a more correctly sized lamb tube
http://www.vittetoe.com/images/2443.jpg
You may now return to your regularly scheduled program.

taz-t
01-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Those are show sheep (those appear to be Hampshires, a meat/mutton breed) and those cute little lycra covers are called Lamb Tubes.

Basically you wash the sheep and then put the coat on it to help compact and smooth the wool...and keep it clean til show time.

You can even get the lamb tubes in leopard print...or zebra (dave...just in case you were considering..)

I've seen them used on wool sheep as well, but I've never thought it was a particularly good idea. Something that allows the sheep sweat to dissipate without rubbing the wool together (look! a felted sheep!) is a much better idea (hence many cotton coats on sheep)

Those particular tubes are too small for those sheep. Notice the butt part of the sheep sticking out? That will put a mark in the wool at the edge of the coat that the show person will have to card out and trim to make smooth...PITA...

Ginger - you know way too much about this stuff for a city girl... 4H or FFA?

- taz

Ginger
01-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Ginger - you know way too much about this stuff for a city girl... 4H or FFA?

- taz

both

showed everything but horses and pigs.

01-26-2008, 04:36 PM

You scare me, Ginger.

Not as much as hearing this from Too Tall, but still you scare me.

capybaras
01-26-2008, 04:55 PM

That is so sad. Maybe some homemade cookies would bring them some cheer...

Nil Else
01-26-2008, 08:10 PM
That is so sad. Maybe some homemade cookies would bring them some cheer...

Ummm.... whatever happened to their tails though??? :bike:

Ginger
01-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Ummm.... whatever happened to their tails though??? :bike:

They get chopped off. (well...we used rubber bands...)

Which sounds mean until you realize that just about all the male lambs are castrated too.

Each spring we'd keep some of our lambs "complete" for the middle eastern trade. (Some buyers would insist on a "complete" male lamb -- tail and un-castrated). Another PITA. Early summer rains come and those happy long woolly lamb tails get all gunked up with manure. Have to trim and wash all that stuff out or you'll wind up with fly strike and likely loose the lamb as well.
Just easier to take their tails off. Once we were running upwards of 50 ewes the complete male lambs were just too much hassle.

We never cut them as short as in that photo. Our lambs still had a bit of a handle. Cut them too short and you can cause some nerve damage...so we erred to long.

Nil Else
01-26-2008, 08:49 PM
They get chopped off. (well...we used rubber bands...)

Which sounds mean until you realize that just about all the male lambs are castrated too.

Each spring we'd keep some of our lambs "complete" for the middle eastern trade. (Some buyers would insist on a "complete" male lamb -- tail and un-castrated). Another PITA. Early summer rains come and those happy long woolly lamb tails get all gunked up with manure. Have to trim and wash all that stuff out or you'll wind up with fly strike and likely loose the lamb as well.
Just easier to take their tails off. Once we were running upwards of 50 ewes the complete male lambs were just too much hassle.

We never cut them as short as in that photo. Our lambs still had a bit of a handle. Cut them too short and you can cause some nerve damage...so we erred to long.

Is this a part of domestication problem or would they have this kinda problem in nature as well?

Btw suppose tail is better than family jewels...