PDA

View Full Version : what is it with cyclingnews.com bike tests???

swoop
01-25-2008, 11:13 AM
why do they keep 'testing' bikes that clearly don't fit the rider? its moronic yo.

fiamme red
01-25-2008, 11:16 AM
bikes that clearly don't fit the riderhttp://www.procyclingwomen.com/Images/Odessa-Gunn-3.jpg

bhungerford
01-25-2008, 11:17 AM
yeah i know...they do get some nice detail pictures though :p

jthurow
01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I just cringed when I saw that LeMond set-up. That Kona ain't much better. The Odessa photo... not so cring-worthy even if her position is crap.

jimi

swoop
01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
one of these is not like the other. levi took care of it. remember that thread about womens geo? loooong legs and short torso...

http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Images/Odessa-Gunn-3.jpg

jthurow
01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Swoop, I don't remember the women's geo thread. Just so I'm clear... Are you saying that Odessa's position isn't too stretched out? Bear with me... I'm slow but tend to catch on... eventually.

jimi

swoop
01-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Swoop, I don't remember the women's geo thread. Just so I'm clear... Are you saying that Odessa's position isn't too stretched out? Bear with me... I'm slow but tend to catch on... eventually.

jimi

i'm saying the bike prolly fits her legs but she can barely reach the bars and its a mess of a fit and yes.. this is what it looks like to be tooooooo stretched out.

ergott
01-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Their reviews read more like what you would expect from Bicycling Mag. only Bicycling is getting better.

cpg
01-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Look how she has a -17 degree stem and is that stretched out in the arms. Her hands aren't even on the hoods yet. Why not ride the next size smaller frame, with the subsequently shorter top tube and then get the bars where she wants them with the -6 degree stem? Nah too simple.

Curt

swoop
01-25-2008, 01:02 PM
i just wanna focus on calling out cyclingnews.... c'mon james huang and company... you can do better.

Sasha18
01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Their reviews read more like what you would expect from Bicycling Mag. only Bicycling is getting better.

Occasionally I'll run across an older bike review from cyclingnews, like 5 years or so. They used to have good (critical) comments on bikes. Never really slamming a bike, but distinct comments on the geometry, what it's designed for, flaws in the spec, etc. That seems long gone. Almost everything gets 4 marks.

wasfast
01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I created the body text so they(just about any reviewer in the print mags) could just fill in the blanks,"plug and churn bike review":

"The ______ staff has been riding the the new (and certainly improved)___________(insert model) from _______(insert manufacturer). The ___________(insert manufacturer) states that the use of XXK carbon cloth along with state of the art (a. wind tunnel, b. in house fixture, c. computer simulation) testing has resulted in the most laterally stiff yet vertically compliant version they've yet to offer. The supplied bike came complete with Shimano _______group and carefully selected cockpit components from ________. The complete package sells for $________."

"There are other competitors at this ________(a. bargain, b. midrange, c. high end) price point but the __________ (insert model) offers a great value. It's mixture of historically European pedigree, engineering, handling, and state of the art manufacturing [ED:read the same Taiwainese factory as everybody else] make for an impressive ride."

"We had the opportunity to try the ____________(insert model) on the local crit circuit [ED: the parking lot behind the office] and some of the local leg burning climbs. The __________(insert model) climbed like a cat, decended like a scud missle and gave the confident feeling that riders look for. We highly recommend the ___________(insert model) as a choice when looking for that perfect new bike. [ED: Copious amounts of money were given to us via advertising, gear, alcohol, and women before reviewing this bike but don't tell anyone]"

Keith A
01-25-2008, 03:55 PM
You think they exceeded Easton's instructions for the maximum number of spacers on that Jamis? :D

Here's Easton's specs..."The spacer stack below the stem must not exceed 50 mm. (Figure 4)"

Keith A
01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Looks about like 50mm to me :rolleyes: BTW, this is an all carbon fork!

Ginger
01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
i just wanna focus on calling out cyclingnews.... c'mon james huang and company... you can do better.

Yeah. The Angry Asian *can* do better...although...I suppose getting paid to do equipment reviews makes you a bit impervious.

How can you really review a bike that is set up incorrectly?

David Kirk
01-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Look how she has a -17 degree stem and is that stretched out in the arms. Her hands aren't even on the hoods yet. Why not ride the next size smaller frame, with the subsequently shorter top tube and then get the bars where she wants them with the -6 degree stem? Nah too simple.

Curt

Low rise stems look cool.

Remember it's better to look good than it is to feel good.

You can quote me on that.

Dave

AgilisMerlin
01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
looks ok here, and i am a big fan of -17 degree stems

http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Images/Odessa-Gunn.jpg

http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Images/Odessa-Gunn-4.jpg

http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Images/Odessa-Gunn-2.jpg

name the rider with the Vandyke ?

Fivethumbs
01-25-2008, 11:10 PM
One person's "too streched out" is another person's "works good for me".

swoop
01-25-2008, 11:22 PM
One person's "too streched out" is another person's "works good for me".
show me a pic with her in the drops (rhetorical). even at that angle she's still holding one for dear life. you know how levi got in with her? i got five bucks on 'shoulder rubs' and pretending he likes cats.

djg
01-26-2008, 12:34 AM
why do they keep 'testing' bikes that clearly don't fit the rider? its moronic yo.

I dunno. If I could only make one change I think I'd want to add pedals before I worried about the wacky stem setup. I hate riding like Fred Flinstone drives. Wicked slow, and it wears out the cleats before you know it.