PDA

View Full Version : Tuning rear derailleur.

Big Jim
08-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know of an article or method for tuning the real derailleur?
I had ridden since April with no problem, everything shifting crisp and clean then in early Aug on a ride I notice the chain jumping around up down etc and I start messing with the barrel adjuster and eventually screw it up so bad that I take it to a shop for adjustment, I ride it today and it is better than it was but still is not crisp and clean. The chain and rear cassette are new this spring (Shamino 9 sp). Any ideas? It does not seem like this should be that big of a deal to get into sync.

va rider
08-14-2004, 02:12 PM
I use the Parktool site for most of my repair questions. Here is the link for adjusting the rear der.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml

I hope this solves the problem.

Kurt
08-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Does anyone know of an article or method for tuning the real derailleur?
I had ridden since April with no problem, everything shifting crisp and clean then in early Aug on a ride I notice the chain jumping around up down etc and I start messing with the barrel adjuster and eventually screw it up so bad that I take it to a shop for adjustment, I ride it today and it is better than it was but still is not crisp and clean. The chain and rear cassette are new this spring (Shamino 9 sp). Any ideas? It does not seem like this should be that big of a deal to get into sync.

Make sure the jockey wheel on the derrailier and the high cog (smallest) are in alignment and then the rest is just cable tension. Also check for a sticking link on the chain – if you can take it off and soak it in mineral spirits, inspect it and then re-lube with your favorite concoction that would take the chain out of the equation.