PDA

View Full Version : The bicycling Bucket List

toaster
01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Before we get to be too old, what things left to do or places to ride would be on your personal bicycle bucket list?

DarrenCT
01-24-2008, 10:42 PM
everyone needs to do this imho

Blue Jays
01-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Take a ride on wheels built on classic wooden rims. Colnago-decaled rims shown:

http://www.velostuf.com/wooden%20rims.jpg

jeffg
01-24-2008, 11:18 PM
In no particular order:

GF Campagnolo
L'Ariegeoise finishing on the Plateau de Beille
All three ascents of Mont Ventoux in one day
Monte Paschi Eroica
One more Maratona dles Dolomites
Terrible Two under 12 hours/Devil Mountain Double under 14
Cooking and cycling in Provence or Tuscany with Mom

Blue Jays
01-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Completing the challenging Paris-Brest-Paris ride would be a wonderful thing.

Fixed
01-25-2008, 07:14 AM
bro I have it now
cheers imho

ti_boi
01-25-2008, 08:43 AM
I'd like to go back to the places where I rode as a young dude...a few choice spots on a warm spring day, when I could let my mind wander...and take some fresh air.

goonster
01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Quadzilla.

Chris
01-25-2008, 10:09 AM
There are races I have on that list. Did the Tour of Somerville last year. That was a blast, and I am glad I did it. Snake Alley is on there. Ironhorse. Manhattan Beach Grand Prix. Athens Twilight. Is A to Z gone?

fiamme red
01-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I want to do the Mt. Washington hill-climb on a unicycle. But first I have to learn how to ride one.

DarrenCT
01-25-2008, 10:15 AM
I want to do the Mt. Washington hill-climb on a unicycle. But first I have to learn how to ride one.

could u imagine!??

Pete Serotta
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I have been very fortunate and have been going on numerous events every year.... Connie and Davis CAMPs, Steve Hampsten camp, Serotta OTTTROTT event have been really memorable and I have met many new friends.

This year I once again will do Hampsten with my friends TOM BRYNES, Ginger, and Mark SELISKER. Also have a Copper Mountain with Bruce K,

Other committed tours are from Colorado Heart Cycle (San Juan Islands, Idaho, and NH), These are relatively inexpensive for it is a non profit and they are excellent.)

As to international tours, I am sure that Tom Brynes could talk me into one... But travel to Europe is really $$$s. NZ is a place I would like to d ride...

Another event on my bucket list is anytime Mr DBRK has a gathering.

Yes Lady Karen and Smiley host wonderful gatherings also AND I always love staying at Flydhest's and being wine , food, and great company overloaded. Still need to get up to see my good friend KENO also....

ALL this and I still have not been able to schedule a motorcycle tour,,,,,

My bucket list is more like the large book....so much to see and share with good friends..... :D :D

Yes _ one of my favorites is CALIF wine country, especially Alexander Valley. Ride, great wine, etx........too bad I can not talk SPOKES into going back.

scooter01
01-25-2008, 10:31 AM
When I grow up I want to be Pete!
Kind, thoughtful and very generous, all these great rides!

How do you do this all on one bike?

For an old guy you ride pretty well :)

MarleyMon
01-25-2008, 10:39 AM
I'd like to tour through some of our Nat'l Parks:
- Going to the Sun Rd. in Glacier NP
- Trail Ridge Rd. in Rocky Mt. NP
- Crater Lake
- Yosemite
- Yellowstone / Gr. Tetons

Blue Jays
01-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Throughout the lonely backroads and amongst the shadows of the mountains of New Hampshire & Vermont would be fantastic.

AgilisMerlin
01-25-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd like to go back to the places where I rode as a young dude...a few choice spots on a warm spring day, when I could let my mind wander...and take some fresh air.

I'll second that. small roads through wilton, norwalk, silvermine, westport, weston (up near the reservoirs) redding, new cannon, georgetown, danbury, and West - over the border into Westchester county.......

i have always wondered if the hills are as long as my legs remember :D

Fixed
01-25-2008, 11:00 AM
to hang out with sachs and bug him all day ....
cheers bro

fiamme red
01-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I'll second that. small roads through wilton, norwalk, silvermine, westport, weston (up near the reservoirs) redding, new cannon, georgetown, danbury, and West - over the border into Westchester county.......It's "New Canaan." :p

And you forgot to mention Cannondale.

Great area for cycling.

MilanoTom
01-25-2008, 11:11 AM
to hang out with sachs and bug him all day ....
cheers bro

+1, and do the same with Dario, too.

fiamme red
01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
to hang out with sachs and bug him all day ....Don't we at the Serotta Forum do that already?

:) ;) :D

AgilisMerlin
01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
It's "New Canaan." :p

Great area for cycling.

thanks for da' spelling. my brothers wife grew up their.

as for cannondale, i worked for them in georgetown when i was a(85-86') jr. and senior in high school, along with my best friend. i did phone orders and processing...he did accounting.........we were cheap

i grew up near the ridgefield border..........so went over quite a few ridges and took the river root adjacent to Rt. 7 right on up..........memories....if had time- past bob sharp motors and took a rights at the train station (that had the best bakery and swung along the backside to work)

texbike
01-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Ride Paris-Brest-Paris

Ride all of the significant climbs in the TdF, Giro, and Vuelta.

Stand in the mud, eat frites, and drink the local brews with the mobs while cheering on the riders in Flanders and Paris Roubaix.

Stand in the pit, eat frites, and drink the local brews with the mobs while cheering on the riders at the 6 Day Races in Ghent.

Texbike

old_school
01-25-2008, 11:43 AM
rubber on asphalt through northern Italy

end the day with leisurely espresso an biscotti in a local cafe

Acotts
01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
It's "New Canaan." :p

Great area for cycling.

My brother lives in Westport CT, and I go for rides with him in the spring and summer and fall. I couldn't believe how nice CT is for biking.

The running sucks...I will take DC running any day. But boy is the backroad biking good. My bro says that they never do the same 50-100 miles in one season.

-A

swoop
01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
There are races I have on that list. Did the Tour of Somerville last year. That was a blast, and I am glad I did it. Snake Alley is on there. Ironhorse. Manhattan Beach Grand Prix. Athens Twilight. Is A to Z gone?

manhattan beach is just two 180 degree turns and chaos on the last lap. in the saddle its boring except for the bump in the last turn. the crashes are totally random too. its hard but not special.
redlands is a mofo. technical, fast, chaotic, and requires skill the whole time. put that on your list in place of manhattan beach.
atmo.

zeroking17
01-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Tour of Flanders for wielertoeristen (http://www.sport.be/cyclingtour/rondevanvlaanderen/2008/eng).