PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Questions????????

CKAZ613
01-24-2008, 06:02 PM
I have been riding for a few years now, but not really sure of what size I should really be riding?
I am 5'11" with a 32 inseam.
what kind of range would be good for me with out having to do a bike fit.
Any help would be great
thanks!!!

Erik.Lazdins
01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Not a stupid question.

There are many ways to get a bike that fits, as there are many positions the body can acclimate to while on the bike. Are you comfortable?

I was fit as a kid with the stand over the bike and pick it up - have a fistful of seatpost fit model.

After considering many different formats - the bike I ride is not that far different from my original fit.

I have some friends that ride bikes that look smaller than what I ride and some that ride a bike fitted similarly to what I have.

Check out Rivendell and check out Competitive cyclist - that may give you a good starting point - which in my view you are already past

You said You have been riding a few years - I would presume comfortably?

Good luck - keep posting :beer:

swoop
01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
i have red hair and a size 42 shoe. what size should i ride?

get a fit. the fit itself is a reference point. i have the same inseam and i'm barely 5'8" ... think of the roulette that is buying clothes without ever trying them on.

even if the fit comes out of an old notebook that says new england academy on it.. it's a good starting point.

its basic but there are enough variables that it can't hurt having someone have a look to see if you're a 56-58cm frame atmo-ish. no short cuts.

if you have short legs and a long torso things get interesting when picking stock sizes.

hansolo758
01-24-2008, 06:37 PM
when you do go for your fitting (I agree, the best place to start is with a fitting), be honest with yourself and whoever does your fitting as to how you want to be positioned on the the bike. Not everyone needs a racing position, or an upright Dutch-bike position. How do you ride? Do you like a touring-style, semi-upright position? Do you like a long, low position, as some racers have? Do you plan to ride 20 miles, 50-60 miles, or more? The more you can tell a fitter, the better he (or she) will be able to help you.

You may want to read some philosophies on fit...here are a few:

1. Peter White has a good article here (http://peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm) . This is good for general purpose riding.

2. Grant Peterson has an article here (http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_fit/fit_sizing_position) . You should know Grant is known as an iconoclast -- something he proudly admits.

3. Here (http://cycle-smart.com/Articles/find.php?search=2) is yet another, geared more for performance riding.

As the saying goes: "To thine own self be true, then thou canst not be false to your bike fitter."

Good luck.

rwsaunders
01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
i have red hair and a size 42 shoe. what size should i ride
I can't quick pick the frame size for a red-haired size 42, but there's a jersey out there for everyone. :cool:

swoop
01-24-2008, 06:43 PM
I can't quick pick the frame size for a red-haired size 42, but there's a jersey out there for everyone. :cool:

i'm always a haircut away from this sad truth.

rwsaunders
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
i'm always a haircut away from this sad truth.

Swoop...everytime I see a clown, I always laugh at this joke. Two Cannibals were eating a clown. One cannibal turns to the other and says, "Does this guy taste funny to you?"

dancinkozmo
01-24-2008, 07:05 PM
http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2006/02/different-thought-on-frame-sizing.html

CKAZ613
01-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all the help!
can always count on good advice here.
thank you! :beer:

saab2000
01-24-2008, 08:28 PM
You should be riding a 57 cm frame with a 13-14 cm stem. Cinelli shallow drop bars in your case. I would recommend a Turbomatic saddle with a BB-axle-saddle dip height of 76.9 cm. Saddle should be almost at the stops pushed back most of the way, but not quite all the way.

Are you flexible?

Stem all the way down if you are.

this is a rough approximation of what your bike should look like when fitted properly, both size and proportions. Saddle above bar. Not the other way around. Some of the baster fackwards positions are MP.

Just sayin'......

konstantkarma
01-24-2008, 08:31 PM
You and I share the same dimensions, exactly (i.e your torso is proportional to your bottom half). That suggests to me that you, like I, are able to fit a "standard geometry" bicycle, all other things being equal. I fit well on a 55 or 54 cm frame; my Steel Serotta csi has a 54cm c to c seat and top tube. By further adjusting my fit with the stem (usually a 110 mm) and seatpost (set back or not), I can get a good fit on most bikes with this standard geometry. Of course, you can't go wrong with a proper fit, but the added benefit of a proportional bike body is that you can buy used bikes more easily than a non-proportional rider, and save $$$$ for beer :beer: .

markie
01-24-2008, 08:34 PM
You are my size. As a range you will probably fit on bikes that are 56cm-60cm. But that is a pretty broad range and what works best for you will depend on your flexibility and the type of riding you want to do.

Keep that in mind if/when you get a fit.

Fixed
01-24-2008, 08:37 PM
You are my size. As a range you will probably fit on bikes that are 56cm-60cm. But that is a pretty broad range and what works best for you will depend on your flexibility and the type of riding you want to do.

Keep that in mind if/when you get a fit.
+1