PDA

View Full Version : cycling club divorce: who should I go with?

myette10
01-24-2008, 09:16 AM
My road club has been around for 40+ years, though I've only been involved for the past 5. Just before I came along, membership exploded from around 35 to well over 200, thanks in large part to a few aging racers who discovered multi-sport racing and began to pull in a lot of fresh talent. It was in fact my triathlete friends that got me on the club, selling me on the fact that there was a group that raced the road as well.

A few years of consentual good times (more revenue, bigger parties, lots of young fit women in lycra) eventually lead to some hard feelings as this half accused that half of this, that, and the other. It surely was a two way street with neither group free of blame.

Anyway, the gig is up. Two teams now, everyone has to pick their allegiance.

With apologies to those of you who have had an actual divorce in your family (I've been lucky) I feel like a young Leo DiCaprio in Catch Me if You Can where he is forced to choose between parents. Perhaps I should just run off and start lifting decals off of model airplanes as a kickoff to a check forging career.

So do I stick with the road team? A nice enough group of guys that I rarely ever see as I don't race the road much anymore. You can't beat their Tuesday night club rides though... holy mama. If I were to race a crit here or there, there is no better team around IMHO. They seem to draw the best sponsors as they work hard at selling the club (of course they were selling a club of 200+ members at the time).

Or do I pick the tri guys? Most of my personal friends are there. They have much better parties and take the whole thing somewhat less seriously, much as I do. Their group rides are less frequent, once a month, but are usually epic meanderings through the Berkshire mtns, often well over 120 miles at a clip. Good stuff.

chrisroph
01-24-2008, 09:24 AM
these things happen. go with your friends. tell the roadies you are hanging with the guys who brought you in, that you are torn and that you will see them on occasional tuesdays and in some crits. the good dudes will be happy to see you.

gt6267a
01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Anyway, the gig is up. Two teams now, everyone has to pick their allegiance.

um, why? not why are there going to be two clubs, but why do you have to pledge allegiance? why not join both clubs and participate as desired with both of them? unless you have a dog in the fight, which it does not sound like you do, why bother with the drama? join both, on any given day ride / party / whatev with the group you feel like it. if anyone actually gives you crap about it, say that you enjoy them and you enjoy them ...

J.Greene
01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
If you can't hang with both when you want, find a third and avoid the foolishness.

JG

SWorks4me
01-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Rock has an opening, and cool uniforms!

Sorry this happened. Go with your bros-atmo

Ginger
01-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Um...seems to me you could be a member of both groups if they don't compete against each other...

or is that the problem?

I guess the question is which group do you race with? You would "belong" best to that group, but you could work out a custody schedule (commit to X road races and X tris ) and train with both...I know those who have done that sort of thing.

regularguy412
01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
these things happen. go with your friends. tell the roadies you are hanging with the guys who brought you in, that you are torn and that you will see them on occasional tuesdays and in some crits. the good dudes will be happy to see you.

Chrisroph has good advice. Stick with your friends.

This same type of thing occurred in our 'cycling' club about 10 years ago, although there was never really a 'split'. There just was a huge influx of runners and swimmer. Most of us who had started the club in 1989, had spent the better part of 10 years as officers, getting things going and keeping it afloat. Most of us cycling/ bike racing only-types chose to just bow out-- myself included.

Last year, I renewed my membership for the first time since 1998. As I look back now, I wish I had remained more active in the club and, consequently, spent more time on the bike -- in spite of the prime focus of the club changing more toward running and triathlons.

To be honest, I still don't really feel like a true member, since most of the events the club now sponsors are runs, including one, annual triathlon. My body just won't let me run and I'm not really interested in swimming. There are, however, regular, thrice-weekly club rides of about two hours and the annual club century. This is the best reason (for me) to continue my membership. There is also the advantage of supplemental accident insurance through the club for on-bike accidents. Just don't let any disillusionment about a split reduce your enthsusiam to get out there and ride. :)

Mike in AR

Chris
01-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I've been in this situation a couple of times. It is the same with anything that gets succesful and bigger. The club of which I have been a member since 1986 has really taken off in the last couple of years. In terms of racing that can become problematic. When you are at a race and 1/2 of the field are your teammates, the tactics get a little fuzzy. There was a race last summer where things went way wrong and the situation kind of blew up, much because of my own reaction. Anyway, I left the team, but not the club. I'm now racing with just one other teammate, and that has been liberating in a lot of ways. It allows me to be outside of all of the politics and I don't feel a need to fall on one side of the argument of the other. I just ride my bike with my friends now. Works for me.

Having said that, you bring up another point. It is common knowledge, that the tri guys, while being major-league dorks in every sense of the word ;) are much much much more friendly and seem to enjoy themselves more. I remember doing a training ride by my house which is on the course for an Ironman event here. As the racers would pass me going the other way, the majority would smile and wave to me. *** is that? I have not once waved to anyone (other than my children) during a race! Got to have the game face on the entire time. You know, hotting up the pace, throwing the cat amongst the pigeons, and turning the pedals in anger...

Fixed
01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
this stuff happens everywhere imho what Chrisroph said
cheers

rwsaunders
01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Will you have to have your Crips tattoos removed?

shoe
01-24-2008, 11:33 AM
as far as the tattoo- i could cover it up for you..i have seen the predicament..not an easy one..i think it is down to the one you enjoy the most...be it the training part ..or the riding with your buddies part...i am glad since i don't race that i never had to choose any sides...i have always remained a free agent...thus riding with many different groups...from the fastest to the slowest....not afraid to get dropped in any of them...good luck...if you can make them both work that would be the best ????no??????.....dave

Blue Jays
01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Sounds like a piece-of-cake to ride with both groups. If one crew only goes on a single ride per month, it sure would be a bummer if you aligned yourself strictly with that group and had to miss it for whatever reason!
Keep your options open. Be warm and friendly to both.

stevep
01-24-2008, 12:18 PM
id do the same rides i already did
and make believe it never happened.

join both and wear both jerseys from time to time.

this isnt marriage... this is recreation

Bruce K
01-24-2008, 01:39 PM
speaking of jerseys stevep.....

;) :rolleyes:

BK

Fat Robert
01-24-2008, 01:51 PM
similar problem here in rock thrill sc

so, i went with niether local team

i'm riding for bill bove and fat cat

we're a multi-state collective

pink rocks

superunleaded
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
from the replies above, it sounds like it's a common issue for small clubs getting too big.

you must be a popular guy on both groups if they're trying to yank you to be on their side

myette10
01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
you must be a popular guy on both groups if they're trying to yank you to be on their side
I never said that! I'm liking this kit (http://www.unattachedrider.com/) more and more though...

shinomaster
01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
id do the same rides i already did
and make believe it never happened.

join both and wear both jerseys from time to time.

this isnt marriage... this is recreation

Yeah, do you really have to choose? What team races cross? :D

stevep
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
hey, i heard bove pays his riders $50,000 each per year.
is this true?
if it is he must be a good guy.
s
if its not true maybe hes not a good guy

similar problem here in rock thrill sc

so, i went with niether local team

i'm riding for bill bove and fat cat

we're a multi-state collective

pink rocks

Fat Robert
01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
hey, i heard bove pays his riders $50,000 each per year.
is this true?
if it is he must be a good guy.
s
if its not true maybe hes not a good guy

every word is true

$50,000 Australian Monopoly Money

i can retire early now

Bruce K
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
$50K !!!! :eek:

I want to renegotiate my deal!!! :fight:

All I got was an all you can eat card to The Taco Lady and free access to the Coca-Cola stash behind the sales counter. :crap: :rolleyes: :D

BK

Fat Robert
01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
$50K !!!! :eek:

I want to renegotiate my deal!!! :fight:

All I got was an all you can eat card to The Taco Lady and free access to the Coca-Cola stash behind the sales counter. :crap: :rolleyes: :D

BK

well, all the 50k has to be converted into US monopoly money, and then its only redeemable at Fat Cat...and Bove says a Clif Bar is worth 35k