PDA

View Full Version : HSG Ti

iml
01-23-2008, 10:49 PM
I want to thank Serotta for designing and building such a kick arse bike. I recently picked up a new 58cm HSG Ti for a song. It was a random find and I bought on a whim.

I'd never truly considered a Serotta and now I'm wondering why. This bike just kills. For reference, I'm a 6'1", 150 lb racer-type, and I can't find any fault with this frame. The 58cm is spot-on for me. It's light enough and it will cut inside anywhere, anytime, with no lag. It has the expected light touch at the front end, but its handling is more than that. I don't think I've been on a bike that is so well-rounded as a race platform.

The ride quality of the frame (not the handling) reminds me a bit of a C-40, but without the plasticky feeling that I personally don't like. It just glides. Someone here mentioned they didn't think they'd want to do a century on it; I can't imagine a more comfortable bike for long days. I'll be racing the crap out of this thing starting in three weeks.

I'll post photos when the bike is properly outfitted. Even with the stupid ergo bars it came with, I've been having too much fun riding it to change things over.

Thanks guys. I love it.

DarrenCT
01-24-2008, 02:10 AM
congrats bro. btw, u still have time to ditch those bars and get nice ones

Pete Serotta
01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
glad it worked so well for you... Ti is still a wonderful material and does everything I have ever needed.... I have a Ti that is still great after so many years....Just recently got a ride on a new OTTROTT and it could sway me in that direction (but then it might be the color and st rear that did it).

Oh well, I love bikes (yes even more than red wine). Please post pictures when you get a chance.

PETE

djg
01-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Congrats man, enjoy it. I've really been thinking my HSG Ti is a great bike -- kind of an impulse purchase for me too, but a fortunate impulse.

Volant
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I'll be doing a 400k on my HSG IT (I know, not the same due to a couple extra carbon tubes), but geometry-wise/handling should be the same. I did 100k on it the other day and it was actually quite comfy. I can't foresee any issues going long on the HSG series.

Brian Smith
01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
I want to thank Serotta for designing and building such a kick arse bike. I recently picked up a new 58cm HSG Ti for a song. It was a random find and I bought on a whim.

iml - Thanks for taking the time to type out your thoughts and impressions of the bike. How about participating in my hypothetical question for market research: If you now had to:

a) return the bike for a full refund
or
b) pay the difference up to the original retail cost

what would you do?

It's easier to be psyched on a purchase that was an incredible bargain and surprise than it is to be psyched on what you might simply call a fair deal, value-wise. A portion of the favorable reviews for this frame have come from people who bought the closeout frames after the model was discontinued, or otherwise through bargain price means.

Enjoy it!

iml
01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
This frame is more than worth full retail...and I never pay full retail. It wouldn't go anywhere, even given the option.