PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 40-Somethings (and beyond)

sellsworth
01-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Approaching 43 years old I am now firmly entrenched in my 40s. I'm quite curious how this decade will affect my cycling performance. I would say that my legs are stronger than they have ever been but my cardiovascular system doesn't seem to maintaining its VO2 max of the past. I find that it's more difficult to find extra power at a high heart rate. My metabolism must be declining because it's much easier to gain weight. All I have to do is smell some tequila and I seem to put on a few pounds. I haven't noticed that my recovery time has slowed down very much. I think that doing centuries and other long-distance is getting a bit easier because I am riding smarter - not over-extending myself at the wrong place and time. Mentally I feel great, I don't think that I've ever enjoyed cycling so much.

So 40-Somethings (and beyond), what's your experience with this fine decade of your life? What might I be able to look forward to on down the road?

Bud_E
01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
My advice is stay 43 as long as you possibly can.

SoCalSteve
01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Approaching 43 years old I am now firmly entrenched in my 40s. I'm quite curious how this decade will affect my cycling performance. I would say that my legs are stronger than they have ever been but my cardiovascular system doesn't seem to maintaining its VO2 max of the past. I find that it's more difficult to find extra power at a high heart rate. My metabolism must be declining because it's much easier to gain weight. All I have to do is smell some tequila and I seem to put on a few pounds. I haven't noticed that my recovery time has slowed down very much. I think that doing centuries and other long-distance is getting a bit easier because I am riding smarter - not over-extending myself at the wrong place and time. Mentally I feel great, I don't think that I've ever enjoyed cycling so much.
So 40-Somethings (and beyond), what's your experience with this fine decade of your life? What might I be able to look forward to on down the road?

For me, about to turn 50 and yes, weight goes on easier and comes off slower...Thats for sure!

And yes, I do tend to ride smarter, better, longer, etc as I have gained much knowledge and experience over the last few years...

Its a biotch getting older...has its high and low points.

I can tell you this, if I had a chance to do it all over again..I'd have maintained my weight loss over the years.

Just sayin'

Steve

djg
01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that there's light at the end of the tunnel.

The bad news is that there's light at the end of the tunnel -- stay away from that light.

Let's see, it's easier to gain weight; it's harder to take it off. I can still build fitness, but it takes longer than it used to, and it seems to fade more quickly, and more deeply, than before. Really, it's mostly ok -- especially if I forget where I've hidden the old pictures of myself.

djg
01-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I can tell you this, if I had a chance to do it all over again..I'd have maintained my weight loss over the years.

Just sayin'

Steve

Steve, if I had a chance to do it all over again, there'd be six to eight more weeks with a girlfriend I'll call "B" and six to eight fewer months with a girlfriend I'll call "S," but each of us learns different lessons in life I guess.

stevep
01-23-2008, 07:34 PM
more rest required

Avispa
01-23-2008, 07:39 PM
more rest required

Or better planning, maybe?

In the good old days, i could party all night then go off for a 5+ ride next day like nothing happened... Today, I have to get my rest and not hammer everyday or else I am Tostitos!

Signed,

The "..A.." Going strong and still kicking some arse at 47! ;)

don'TreadOnMe
01-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Stretch. A lot.

Don't lose sight of being an all-around athlete, either.
It makes you a better cyclist.

Every time I go fast it still feels like the first good ride I ever had.

konstantkarma
01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
You'll be more aerodynamic without hair :rolleyes:

WadePatton
01-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Riding buddy told me, mid-ride the other day, that he had a LOT of fun racing in his forties. He's now fitty. I'm only 41, so I still feel real thirtyish :cool:

But I am having more fun, riding and eating smarter--we'll have to see if that has any affect on my racing.

...but I did jump into training a leetle too fast this winter and am still working around that.

swoop
01-23-2008, 07:57 PM
thurlow does just fine. so does meeker. so does chris walker (i've seen him solo away from most of team rock), as does liebert, and even the fabulous slover. find your way.... use your head. have fun.
dont eat any food ever.

half the time the 30 plus races are a hair slower than the 40... but that meanshalf the time the 40plus is faster. there's some tough strong old farts out there. actually i can think of a good 30 guys over 4o that are crazy fit and fast. they're just people like you and me.

edit.. don't forget ned and monninger. and sachs and stevep.

slowgoing
01-23-2008, 07:59 PM
See the colonoscopy thread.

SoCalSteve
01-23-2008, 08:15 PM

Post of the day!

yarg
01-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Stretch. A lot.

Don't lose sight of being an all-around athlete, either.
It makes you a better cyclist.

Every time I go fast it still feels like the first good ride I ever had.

+1 on that last line. the thrill does not fade with age.

WadePatton
01-23-2008, 09:17 PM

i was trying to forget that one... :butt:

sellsworth
01-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Stretch. A lot.

You know, I tell myself this every day! But, alas, it rarely gets done. Stretching is right up there with drinking lots of water and flossing my teeth - great in theory but in practice don't happen often enough.

roman meal
01-23-2008, 09:47 PM
See the French derailleur thread. Carla Bruni is 40. She can deal.

Any questions?

DarrenCT
01-23-2008, 09:50 PM
See the French derailleur thread. Carla Bruni is 40. She can deal.

Any questions?

ps: i have dibs on her

BumbleBeeDave
01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
. . . about to turn 49 next month. It takes longer to warm up. Gimme about 15 minutes and I'm good to go hard. It also takes longer to recover after a big ride before I can go hard again. But that's really only this past year or two. But I'm still trying to figure out whether that means I'm really getting older or just getting smart. I've come to the conclusion that in the fitness long run, taking that rest day and really making it a REST day after 3 or 4 days of going hard is just as important as the going hard. I hurt just as much afterwards when I was younger, but hadn't gotten that wisdom into my head yet and just went out and did it again too soon.

BBD

e-RICHIE
01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
70 minutes a day. minimum.
no more than 3 days off per month.
altoids.
san pellegrino.
atmo.

and remember - someone has to
win, it may as well be youmo atmo.

DarrenCT
01-23-2008, 09:53 PM
altoids.
san pellegrino.
atmo.

if your not 1st, your last atmo

swoop
01-23-2008, 10:06 PM
altoids.
san pellegrino.
atmo.

this is all true. especially the first line. you can't ever stop doing intensity. i backed off intensity after the season and its never been so hard to get it back.
i'll never skip the coffin for base again.

iml
01-23-2008, 10:36 PM
this is all true. especially the first line. you can't ever stop doing intensity. i backed off intensity after the season and its never been so hard to get it back.
i'll never skip the coffin for base again.

So true. I'm only 36, but maybe an old 36 (lawyer, married, 3.5 year old and a new baby due any day)? Anyway - I have several similarly-situated teammates in their late 30s/early 40s. I certainly don't do much structured interval work in the winter, but we all do a fair bit of intensity and shootout-type riding far in excess of traditional 'base' limits. We'll all be competitive in Oregon's 1/2 races in the spring, and I think this helps get us there. There are plenty of fast younger guys, sure, but it's typical here for guys between 35 and even 45 to podium in 1/2 events.

Take a winter break from the mental stress of thinking about training, but keep up with some hard riding. The older we get, the harder it'll be to get it back.

cleavel
01-24-2008, 12:16 AM
thurlow does just fine. so does meeker. so does chris walker (i've seen him solo away from most of team rock), as does liebert, and even the fabulous slover. find your way.... use your head. have fun.
dont eat any food ever.

half the time the 30 plus races are a hair slower than the 40... but that meanshalf the time the 40plus is faster. there's some tough strong old farts out there. actually i can think of a good 30 guys over 4o that are crazy fit and fast. they're just people like you and me.

edit.. don't forget ned and monninger. and sachs and stevep.

Hi swoop,

We must be in the same races often. I still contend that guys like Thurlow and Chris (former Pros and Cat 1s) should only be allowed to race Pro/1/2 until they turn 50. ;)

Last year was the first where I saw Thurlow have a slightly hard time riding away from a 40+ field (the operative word is 'slightly').

sellsworth, last year was the first year since I turned 40 where I lost more weight during the racing season than I put on during the off season. You know those O'Grady cartoons, "Old guys who get fat in the winter," are me. :o

My time trial speeds are a bit slower and my road racing has flip-flopped. I used to be able to place in hilly to mountainous road races while I had a 50-50 chance of getting dropped in a crit. Now I can hang in crits all day long but I can't stay with the field in most road races. :mad:

Other than that, now that I'm 50, I don't have to race against Thurlow and Chris. :D

swoop
01-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Hi swoop,

We must be in the same races often. I still contend that guys like Thurlow and Chris (former Pros and Cat 1s) should only be allowed to race Pro/1/2 until they turn 50. ;)

Last year was the first where I saw Thurlow have a slightly hard time riding away from a 40+ field (the operative word is 'slightly').

sellsworth, last year was the first year since I turned 40 where I lost more weight during the racing season than I put on during the off season. You know those O'Grady cartoons, "Old guys who get fat in the winter," are me. :o

My time trial speeds are a bit slower and my road racing has flip-flopped. I used to be able to place in hilly to mountainous road races while I had a 50-50 chance of getting dropped in a crit. Now I can hang in crits all day long but I can't stay with the field in most road races. :mad:

Other than that, now that I'm 50, I don't have to race against Thurlow and Chris. :D

here's me chasing dow thurlow at .. i dunno was it costa mesa? next time you're out be sure to say hi... (i'll take this down in a day cuz it feels stupid to post it)

ciclisto
01-24-2008, 01:32 AM
turning 60 in two weeks ride almost every day between 30 -60 miles and feel better than I did at your age , started time trials 2 years ago so you are just beginning. with a helmet and glasses I am the stealth rider. I have more time now and own a nice stable since I sold my motorcycles................just stay away from the docs.

bnewt07
01-24-2008, 01:59 AM
at 42 I'd say

I lose fitness a bit quicker and gain it more slowly if I have a break

I'm a stronger and more resilient climber, my endurance and comittment with a hard day/bad weather is better than ever.

I seem to need less food on a ride now. No idea why.

I hurt more after a fall when I MTB.

I ache badly if I go running now. Have quit!

I like cycling more than ever and still get a huge buzz from it. :)

97CSI
01-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Turned 60 last month. Some part of my body tells me it is there every morning. Usually not bad, but still too much. Weight? Granola bar for breakfast, bowl of soup or package of peanut butter crackers for lunch with a glass of tea and a full dinner allows me to 'maintain'. Can ride as 'far' as ever........but definitely not as fast. Enjoy it as much or more than ever. A decent daily vitamin dose and, as stated earlier, stay away from doctor's unless you are broken. Nice glass of red vin or beer in evening and you'll live forever. Biggest complaint is how little time there is in a day/week/month/year. Oh, well.......you cannot avoid the unavoidable. Ride on!

soulspinner
01-24-2008, 05:46 AM
Biggest problem is it takes forever to recover from injuries. Had what I consider a minor crash while trying to stop a bee as he was stinging me, and the soreness seemed to last twice as long as 10 years ago...

Fixed
01-24-2008, 06:01 AM
you're good till 50 imho then the brakes rub a little
cheers :beer:

Too Tall
01-24-2008, 06:17 AM
I'll repeat your words "Mentally I feel great, I don't think that I've ever enjoyed cycling so much."

Bah dah bing.

AgilisMerlin
01-24-2008, 06:26 AM
turn 40 in the spring.......

not in the club yet......

:D

93legendti
01-24-2008, 07:10 AM
I'll repeat your words "Mentally I feel great, I don't think that I've ever enjoyed cycling so much."

Bah dah bing.

Same here. Listen to e-RICHE's advice--ride OFTEN. Take a look at Chris Chelios and I think Ned is still riding better than guys half his age.

rwsaunders
01-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Satchel Page? "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

soulspinner
01-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Same here. Listen to e-RICHE's advice--ride OFTEN. Take a look at Chris Chelios and I think Ned is still riding better than guys half his age.

My body prefers to ride 35 milers more often than trying to cram more in on the weekends and seeing how many long rides I can do. Its all about fittin in 33 waist jeans at 52 years young. ;)

Chief
01-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Its a biotch getting older...has its high and low points.

This reminds me of a great line from "No Country for Old Men" that appears in the book, but not the movie. Near the end of the book Sheriff Bell is tallking with his uncle who got into law enforcement. He says something to the effect that getting old is hell. His uncle replies with, "The good news is that it doesn't last long."

(I'll be turning 70 of Feb 5, but still turning the cranks and praying 70 is not old.)

jmewkill
01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Warmup takes longer
Recovery takes longer
Small niggling injuries or pains linger
Harder to lose weight
But I can buy nicer bikes

sellsworth
01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Can ride as 'far' as ever........but definitely not as fast.

Indeed. I think that this can be explained by the notion that as we age it's easier to maintain aerobic capacity than muscle mass and power.

Firenze
01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Sweat for a minimum of 60 min per day, six days a week.
Lift weights at least twice a week.
Take a look at the video here
http://www.youngernextyear.com/
The beer still tastes great at the end of the ride.
Turning 60 this year and having a great time doing it.
Arch

Volant
01-24-2008, 12:38 PM
more rest required

+100

MilanoTom
01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Satchel Page? "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

+1

Bud_E
01-24-2008, 01:19 PM
you're good till 50 imho then the brakes rub a little
cheers :beer:

POTD - This should be framed - in extra large print so my weakening eyes can read it. :beer:

Fat Robert
01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
following some others and giving my suspect two cents:

* rest more, like pucc said: I take 2 full days off the bike each week. that's because I also...

* slam the intensity, like some others have said. Its harder to get back VO2 and FTP when you've let them lie dormant, like swoop said. do things that involve going hard...often (you see e-ritchie doing cross...then killin em during the spring and summer? he gettsit). but to do this you need to

* let the long rides go. why do a 5 hour ride if you're doing 60min masters crits? I find I keep what fitness my limited genes can give by doing one big kjoule day a week -- and its rarely 4 hours+ of going slow. its usually two or maybe two and half hours with 90min of tempo. then the rest is either resting on the couch or goin into the coffin.

* train twice a day if you can. i did this first when i broke ribs a couple of years ago. i couldn't stand doing two hours or more on a trainer, so i split it into two workouts. voila. i discovered i could raise the intensity of both workouts, and that at the end of the week i wasn't as worn out (and for you powermeter freaks, my CTL was not as great, even though my amount of time at L3 or higher was up) -- so i didn't need to take a recovery week as often. put the harder one in the AM, easier one in the PM. A day of 60 minutes in the morning with 40 min L4 and then 50-60 in the evening with 40 minutes of L3 is quite doable, and you'll bounce back from it more quickly than you suspect, since you're cutting out a lot of fatigue-building noodle miles. i also think its the best way to train for those days when you race masters at 9AM and then Cat 3 around 1PM...(if you're a weenie 3 like me)....

of course, pooch said to ignore anything i say about training, so....

Oirad
01-24-2008, 02:10 PM
40 is the new 30. 50 is the new 25?

One of the advantages of middle age (I'm close to turning 50) is that you realize that you can live with ontological doubt, you don't have to know the answer to everything, and you don't have to justify everything you do.

Oh, this is a cycling thread! Go out there and enjoy yourself.

Oirad

Johnnyg
01-24-2008, 04:05 PM
It's just a #!