PDA

View Full Version : Cheap repair stand rec

kgreene10
01-23-2008, 04:59 PM
I need an inexpensive stand that I can use to help in routine cleaning and minor repairs. It needn't be fancy but has to be to steady enough not to freak me out about wrecking my bike. Any suggestions?

srenda
01-23-2008, 05:02 PM
I need an inexpensive stand that I can use to help in routine cleaning and minor repairs. It needn't be fancy but has to be to steady enough not to freak me out about wrecking my bike. Any suggestions?

+1

MRB
01-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I think the "Ultimate" stands are pretty slick, they fold up small like a tripod. I'm not sure what they sell for. Actually there are two different models. A friend of mine has the nicer model.

What ever you use, always clamp your bike by the seat post, otherwise you risk wrecking decals, paint, tubes, bottle bosses, or all of the above.

hth,

JA

Too Tall
01-23-2008, 05:35 PM
You want inexpensive? There are simple steel bottom bracket "hook" stands. Basically a two legged stand. It is not a super stable arrangement however the bike stands on it's own.

The BEST stand for the least $$ in my HO is the park wall mount...but that ain't free.

One of my cheap arse punk neighbors has a...I kid you not....pipe clamp with glued in rubber jaw protectors that is "T" mounted to a large pipe welded to a base. The entire arrangement probably weighs close to a VW Passat however I'm sure the total price is free if you are handy.

So my friend there is cheap and there is inexpensive and there is free.

What's your pleasure and how hard are you willing to work for it?

maunahaole
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
If you want *really* cheap, a belt or piece of rope looped over a rafter works well for cleaning and adjustments. You just hang the nose of the saddle in the loop. It is surprisingly stable for simple stuff. Beyond that, spend a few bucks for a good repair stand. I have an Ultimate tripod type. I got it off of local craigslist - people sell these from time to time. It will pay for itself with a few uses. The only issue I have with it is that it is not solid enough for a very stubborn bottom bracket - the arm that holds the clamp slips if I apply a lot of pressure. I have used a couple of different park stands too, which are also nice. Make sure that the clamp is a size that will work with your seat post - some clamps are taller than others.

MRB
01-23-2008, 06:00 PM
So my friend there is cheap and there is inexpensive and there is free. What's your pleasure and how hard are you willing to work for it?
Well said T.T. :)

I think we have just discovered a new universal law. Lets call it T.T's third law of Economics.
What were your other two laws, BTW? :rolleyes:

thwart
01-23-2008, 06:07 PM
The only issue I have with it is that it is not solid enough for a very stubborn bottom bracket 1+

I have the same trouble with both of my stands (Topeak and Park).

If it ever warms up I want to try the method someone mentioned here of clamping the Park BB tool in my workbench vise and using the frame itself as a lever. A QR to clamp the tool against the stubborn BB will likely be needed...

If that doesn't work I'll have to resort to my local LBS and the good ol' impact wrench. :crap:

Kevan
01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
a prior home had this wonderful japanese maple out front with a branch that had just the perfect crook to catch the underside of a saddle. Okay, the bike wiggled some, but the stand was always out and available and the garden hose was nearby too.

Just a thought...

wasfast
01-23-2008, 06:22 PM
One of my cheap arse punk neighbors has a...I kid you not....pipe clamp with glued in rubber jaw protectors that is "T" mounted to a large pipe welded to a base. The entire arrangement probably weighs close to a VW Passat however I'm sure the total price is free if you are handy.

You mean something like this:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=25952&highlight=workstand

thejen12
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Topeak makes a stand that's like a stationary trainer with the guts taken out. It holds the bike by the rear axle. It's under $50 (maybe under $40, I don't remember).

Or you can put eyebolts in the ceiling and use tie-downs with S-hooks on the end to hook up your bike and raise it as high or as low as you need for whatever work you're doing.

Jenn

victoryfactory
01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
This is my recommendation for an inexpensive stand
The bike rests on the BB and a rubberized hook wraps around the DT
Good for all but the most intense work.
I've done BB, headset, pedals and all cleaning on this stand
Around $60. from Performance
(I don't work for them)

VF