PDA

View Full Version : Cable Rub Protection

Frank Draper
01-23-2008, 10:45 AM
I need to protect my carbon fiber frame head tube from the rubbing of the derailleur cables. I contacted a company about the Bonk Paint Saver and they said it will not work on carbon fiber. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

WadePatton
01-23-2008, 10:54 AM
electrical tape? 3m of course.

Or some carbon fibre looking adhesive type product?

Keith A
01-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Bike Saver Protective Tape (http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/BKSVGY4K)

Dave
01-23-2008, 11:03 AM
I use clear vinyl "bike saver" tape. Colorado Cyclist used to sell small rolls of it.

Keith A
01-23-2008, 11:05 AM
I use clear vinyl "bike saver" tape. Colorado Cyclist used to sell small rolls of it.That's exactly what I use and my link above takes you to this same tape...great stuff.

Frank Draper
01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Will a heavy gauge clear packaging tape work?

MilanoTom
01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
If you're a cheapskate (at least about some things) like me...

Black vinyl electrical tape on black frames, colored vinyl electrical tape if a decent enough match with the frame (e.g. red, white are pretty easy to match), clear (translucent, really) hockey tape for everything else.

Don't use clear packing tape - it can pull clear coat off. I found out the hard way.

Tom

corky
01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Jagwire have some rubber tubes you put round the cable outers......

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/25550.jpg

Keith A
01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Will a heavy gauge clear packaging tape work?I imagine that it would, but it might be tough to remove and possibly damage your clear coat. The nice thing about the bike saver tape is that it isn't too sticky, so it comes off easy enough that I am not concerned about damaging the clear coat.

Frank Draper
01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone.

staggerwing
01-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Another source: McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/)

Punch in part #1867T12 for 2" wide, 3M Scothcal, Polyurethane film. It's is also available in several other widths.

If you have never heard of them, McMaster-Carr is a very large, industrial supply source. An unbelievable selection of items, almost always in stock, and shipped with brutal, lightening like efficiency (I can online order by 5PM, and have items in hand by noon on the following day, via normal shipping). They don't have sales, but generally, the bits that I need are fairly priced, and unavailable in reasonable quantities from other sources. They are fine with small CC orders, but their trademark yellow catalogs (almost 4000 pages at last printing) are uniquely difficult to source. Huge selection of stainless, bike appropriate, metric fasteners too. Deceptively simple website. Curious operation that never ceases to amaze.

I have no connection other than as a fully satisfied customer.

PBWrench
01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Stagger - Wow - very cool company! Thanks.

Fixed
01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
bro i never ever have that problem
lots of others but not that one
cheers :beer:

weaponsgrade
01-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Jagwire have some rubber tubes you put round the cable outers......

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/25550.jpg

I've been using these Jagwire tubes for the last few months on my painted steel frame and have been pretty happy with them.

stevep
01-23-2008, 03:14 PM
get a chainstay protector that looks like carbon and cut 2 little circles out of it... put them in the spots.

cpg
01-23-2008, 03:18 PM
get a chainstay protector that looks like carbon and cut 2 little circles out of it... put them in the spots.

Do I need to worry about how the weave is oriented?

Curt

Keith A
01-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Here's a couple more options for you, go to www.qbike.com and type in "frame protector" and you will see several products available including some carbon fiber looking patches

stevep
01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Do I need to worry about how the weave is oriented?

Curt

curt,
i have special super light ones that i can send you.
super hm carbon.
$255 each dot. ( free shipping)
nobody else has these.
trust me on this.
s

roman meal
01-23-2008, 03:53 PM
curt,
i have special super light ones that i can send you.
super hm carbon.
$255 each dot. ( free shipping)
nobody else has these.
trust me on this.
s

I got em for $500 for two.

They Suck. I am no faster.

stevep
01-23-2008, 03:55 PM

but roman,
you're no less fast either...

cpg
01-23-2008, 04:00 PM

You got the weave going the wrong way. Get with it.

Curt

stevep
01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
You got the weave going the wrong way. Get with it.

Curt

roman.
they need to go on a bike,...not yr kneecaps.
did you get the manual?
its in russian..my kid will translate for you for $50.
sincerely,
sp enterprises

gt6267a
01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Another source: McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/)

dude, that website is over the top. you should have put the "might not be work appropriate" warning-label on that one. and people say the s-forum is a time eater.

roman meal
01-23-2008, 04:10 PM
but roman,
you're no less fast either...

It's hard to go in reverse, steve

I just got off of the phone. Joe Young is going build up a set of hoops for me. I didn't know he used to live in Dover NH.

He called you a character.

roman meal
01-23-2008, 04:10 PM
roman.
they need to go on a bike,...not yr kneecaps.
did you get the manual?
its in russian..my kid will translate for you for $50.
sincerely,
sp enterprises

I used them as pasties for my man-boobs under the wool. More aero.

stevep
01-23-2008, 04:15 PM
It's hard to go in reverse, steve

I just got off of the phone. Joe Young is going build up a set of hoops for me. I didn't know he used to live in Dover NH.

He called you a character.

yeah,
joey used to build wheels for us when he lived in nh.
he knows how to build wheels.

Peter P.
01-23-2008, 06:34 PM
It seems installing something on the CABLES to protect the frame won't work because the cable is the moving part, which will rub against the stationary part, the frame.

You want to install something on the exposed, stationary headtube to ward off the friction from the moving cable housing.

Check McMaster-Carr for Teflon tape. They carry it in various degrees of slipperiness. Contrary to what I said above, you could affix this to the cables if you don't want to alter the look of the frame. No color choices, though.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Personally, I'd go for reflective tape in a coordinating color, cut into a stylish shape that looks like it was meant to be there. If you're interested, I've got red, green, white, and orange lying around. I could send you some, if you're interested.

Frank Draper
01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Thank you to all who replied. I appreciate all the options that you offered. It would seem that my LBS would have installed something that would prevent cable rub just as a courtesy and to ensure quality customer service.