PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Mtb frames

jpw
01-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Does anyone own a Serotta Mtb, either timax or cht/ cst? I was wondering if you would care to give your overall opinion of the ride. I'm debating whether to go for one (if the CHT/ CST is still available?) of these models, or a Moots.

Thank you.

weatherman
01-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Does anyone own a Serotta Mtb, either timax or cht/ cst? I was wondering if you would care to give your overall opinion of the ride. I'm debating whether to go for one (if the CHT/ CST is still available?) of these models, or a Moots.

Thank you.

As you would expect, the quality of the frame, welds etc was top notch from Serotta. Ride was good, but I had constant issues with the rear shock both in terms of reliability (not Serotta's fault), but also the mounting/bushing system (Serotta's issue--IMHO). I went through many bushings and always seemed to feel like the rear end (when pushed) was not connected solidly enough to the rest of the frame--replacement bushings usually cured that for awhile, but the problem seemed to always come back over time.

I am now riding a Moots MootoX YBB and am much happier with the ride/performance. I've never ridden a Serotta hardtail, but imagine they are top notch. I would stay away from the CST though.

theprep
01-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I have a 2000 Ti Max, purchased new in 2005. It is a stock 19". It replaced a 1999 Steel Ibis Mojo.

It has the usual excellent Serotta build quality, tight welds, straight drop outs and clean threads.

It gives a very smooth ride over bumpy trails. The chain stays are pretty short. They are about an inch shorter than my old Ibis Mojo.

The Ti Max climbs and descends better than the Mojo. It is super stable for a hardtail. It is probably a little more efficient to pedal input than the Mojo as well. The rear end is rock solid, probably due to the short stays.

The Mojo handled tight trails better though. The Ti Max's front end always feels light, even with the -6 degree stem. I had more confidence taking fast turns on the Mojo.

For reference, I think our local trails are extremely tight and twisty. On the harder trails I only average around 9 mph and the fastest one, average around 13 mph.

The Ti Max only weighs 3.3 lbs. Here are the most recent photos of the Serotta:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=301024&postcount=14

Richard
01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't know whether this will help, but I had an Odile (steel hardtail). If the geometry of the cht is the same, it will handle extremely well at race speeds, but it is not for fiddle farting around as are many MTBs. When I didn't feel like pushing, the bike felt like a handful -- short wheelbase made it "buck" over rocky terrain, the front end felt light. BUT push it to race or near race speeds and handling became intuitive. Never failed to go exactly where it was pointed -- bumpy, smooth, tight and twisty, downhill, etc. In short, it was a great race bike, but not for casual use.

Fixed
01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
if i had one bike it would be a fixed mt bike they can do a lot of things imho
cheers a serotta ti fixie mt bike a dream

jpw
01-23-2008, 12:13 PM
As you would expect, the quality of the frame, welds etc was top notch from Serotta. Ride was good, but I had constant issues with the rear shock both in terms of reliability (not Serotta's fault), but also the mounting/bushing system (Serotta's issue--IMHO). I went through many bushings and always seemed to feel like the rear end (when pushed) was not connected solidly enough to the rest of the frame--replacement bushings usually cured that for awhile, but the problem seemed to always come back over time.

I am now riding a Moots MootoX YBB and am much happier with the ride/performance. I've never ridden a Serotta hardtail, but imagine they are top notch. I would stay away from the CST though.

Mr. Weatherman, how is the YBB suspension unit for you? Is there much 'bob' going up hill, and is it generally stiff or spongy?

Thank you.

Dave B
01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
both are great companies. both make great bikes.

Moots does more mtbs. I think they do a better job...or put more effort into their mtbs. imho.

I think the spectrum of road bikes are done better by serotta, at least more to choose from.

Both companies seem to focus a little differently on their priorities.

Dave B
01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Mr. Weatherman, how is the YBB suspension unit for you? Is there much 'bob' going up hill, and is it generally stiff or spongy?

Thank you.

depends on size. stiffer springs are used on 18inch frames and larger. You can also lock it out form moving at all.

DRZRM
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Never ridden a Serotta MTB, but I have a Moots YBB, and I love it. Not to say you should pick it over Serotta, just that they do the pivotless suspension very well. I'm always over 200 lbs. and I love the way the rear end feels. The only time I can feel anything like bob is when I'm doing the long climb up the road to the trailhead (and it's not really bob, more like a bit of flex at the rear). If it bugged me I'd lock out the rear, but given that it takes about 10 minutes to ride that mile, I just leave it engaged, no worries. Nothing to think about.

jpw
01-23-2008, 01:47 PM
...and, disc or canti brakes?

Thank you.

gt6267a
01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
disc.

Dave B
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
disc.

yeah i agree. Discs have come sooo far and they simply do such a better job in almost all conditions.

Almost all of them are good. People think the avid mechanical (BB7) are the best, but do not over look hydrolic.

I would be happy to talk more about this if you want, shoot me another PM and we can rap.

Both brands are nice, but i have never heard (and they may be some) anyone complain about the YBB. They are just a great design.

gdw
01-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Discs if it's wet and V's if it's dry. Discs are great and the "in" brake system but a set of quality V's work as well in most conditions and are a lot less expensive and much lighter.

weatherman
01-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Thank you.

YBB is wonderful--no bob that I notice while climbing, I know it gets a bit of travel, but honestly, I think it just helps you dig in and maintain traction a bit better. Bike is stiff in my opinion then again I only weigh 155. I think it is a wonderful design and does a great job of taking the edge off the trail--especially when you purchase the 29er version (that is what I ride).

I also own/ride a Moots hardtail 29er set up as a singlespeed. Honestly, I ride it more than the YBB, but both are wonderful and never let me down. I tend to go through a lot of bikes and frequently try new frames--since I switched to the Moots and 29er wheels (just over 3 years ago) I have never even considered purchasing another mountain bike. In contrast, I've been through 3 road bikes and 3 cross bikes in that time!

PM me if you have more detailed questions, I am happy to help out.

As for the comments/questions on disc/v-brake--some of the higher end hydros are now available at weights at/better than comparable cable discs-I've run the Avid BB7s (cable disc) and they are great, but nothing beats the smooth modulation and effortless braking of hydro.