PDA

View Full Version : New year, new jacket

kenth
01-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Since my birthday closely follows Christmas, it's always been a "catch-up" event for me - I can put the one thing (back) on my wish list that Santa overlooked. This year it's a new riding jacket. I use an old P.I. jacket, really just a nylon shell, but kind of loose and flappy. I'd like something thin but a little warmer - say for 30-50 degrees, and more form fitting (not for rain - I have a decent rain thing). I don't mind spending a bit for a nice jacket - I'll keep it forever, but there aren't so many places nearby I can actually try good stuff on. What are your favorites?

Kevin
01-02-2004, 11:37 AM
kenth,

Take a look at the new Rubi Jacket in Serotta's on-line store. It is made by Assos. I got one for Christmas and I have used in it in the 35-45 degree temperature range. It is very comfortable and kept me warm while at the same time I was not sweating. It is also allows you to show your Serotta relationship. They run a bit small so I would upsize it if you order it without trying it on.

I have also been very happy with the Castelli line of clothing. I have a couple of their jackets that I have been very happt with. Similiar to the Assos you will have to upsize because they run small.

Kevin

jeffg
01-02-2004, 12:10 PM
What Castelli jacket do you use? I have a midweight jacket I from them I like, but I find figuring out their winter wear (e.g. temperature range, availability) very tough since the website of the US distributor does not even have the new collections up.

I think I will go with Boure for that reason, but I would be interested in your experience.

thanks,

Jeff

Kevin
01-02-2004, 12:53 PM
JeffG,

I have always found Castelli to be comfortable and warm. I have the Stratoshear jacket. Very warm down to about 25 degress. I start using it at about 45-50 degrees.

Kevin

DonG
01-02-2004, 01:10 PM
kenth

You might want to look at the Nike Thermal Wind Jacket (part # 78078). I've been wearing one this winter and have fallen in love with it.

I've been able to cover the mid-20's upto the 40's by just varying what I wear under it and using the thermostat (also known as a zipper in the garmet industry).

I'd give you a link but they use a flash player so . . .

Go to www.nike.com and follow the NorthAmerican, USA, Other sprots, cycling, Road technical wear, mens, trunk and you should se the Thermal Wind Jacket listed.

Don

Bill Bove
01-02-2004, 04:48 PM
I second the Nike jacket. I've had mine for a year now and anybody who doesn't think it gets cold in Florida hasn't gone out at 6am on a windy, cold day by the ocean.

Also take a look at George Hincapies new line of clothes. He has a very nice thermal jacket at 199.99. His brother Rich runs the day to day workings and is a nice guy. I had my shop team stuff done by them and could not be happier with both product and service. www.hincapiesports.com

Johny
01-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Kenth,

Please check this to save some money. After all, Giordana used to make cycling stuff for Nike. The Nike jacket Don and Bill like might be the identical ones made by Giordana.

http://www.probikekit.com and look for the winter jackets made by Giordana.

MarinRider
01-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Assos Clima Jet is a tighter, more form fitting version of Clima Micro. It is super light and offer great protection against wind and chills. It is not really water resistent. It is also my "just in case" jackets. They are expensive as compared to other jackets.

Decente Element is a new jacket I got a month earlier. Still compact enough to fit into a rear pocket and very water resistent. I rode with in it in a driving rain storm yesterday and felt reasonably protected. Not really water proof but good enough to let you stay out in the rain for extended time.

Both jackets are just shells and do not have insulated fleece built in like the Nike and the Asso Rubi mentioned above.

I don't like full water-proof Gore-Tex jackets. They are too hot and too bulky pack into the rear pocket.

kenth
01-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward an Assos Airblock Jacket, also referred some places as a Roubaix Airblock, or a Rubi Airblock. A lot of $ though, and so far the closest retailer is Chicago (I'm in Ohio). Any suggestions for a closer place to try on/buy?

dcotcamp
01-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Here's a completely different opipnion: a vest. I would never even consider a jacket for temperatures above freezing (with the possible exception of mid 30's and raining), but I suppose that's just me.

I'm especially fond of the Louis Garneau vests I have: nylon front, some soft synthetic on the back below the yoke, three rear pockets and a little reflective material. With a long sleeve soft woolie base layer and a reasonable long sleeve jersey, that's all I need into the mid 20's. The vest easily stashes in a jersey pocket if it warms up. I find dressing like this to be much more versatile, not to mention a lot cheaper.

Dennis

rideon
01-07-2004, 10:41 PM
I've owned an Assos Roubaix Airblock jacket for going on 3 years and the warmth, trim fit, breathability is the best I've found for 30-55 degree weather. As a Christmas gift I received the Pearl Izumi barrier jacket and it really didn't measure up with the Assos for road riding. The fit was loose on my torso on a large (I'm 6'2" 175lbs)and the wind was biting at my arms the whole ride. However, I did want a different jacket for my cold weather mountain bike rides and I think the PI will be perfect in the woods where wind isn't such a factor and insulation and breathability is the key. Haven't tried some of the other brands but I know I wouldn't be happy saving 50 bucks but freezing my arse the whole ride.

I bought my Assos gear in Indianapolis.

dnovo
01-07-2004, 11:00 PM
The best, warmest, period is the Assos Gator. Unfortunately, very expensive as well. Dave N.