PDA

View Full Version : Surgery for obese cures diabetes

thwart
01-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Interesting article from the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/health/research/23diabetes.html

But if you stand back a bit and look... we are so sedentary and overeat so much in today's society that many people will need surgical procedures to maintain their health.

Yikes!

What we really need is a crash program on becoming more active, and eliminating the advertising and other propaganda favoring high calorie foods... in large portions. Atmo.

Go ride a bike!

WadePatton
01-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Glycemic Index is the key to better management of the sugar/pancreas/insulin relationship. One of the diet companies launched a campaign on it, but it is from sound nutritional research.

Adult onset diabetes and a host of other "medical" conditions are directly related to lifestyle. We want our lifestyle and a pill for any condition that doesn't suit us.

Let thy food by thy medicine...

Viper
01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
I am not allowed to judge. :rolleyes:

(but I agree with your thread/post 100% shhh).

Blue Jays
01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Thin, active, and athletic children unfortunately cursed with insulin-dependent diabetes notwithstanding, of course. Pray for a cure for these innocent victims.

regularguy412
01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Glycemic Index is the key to better management of the sugar/pancreas/insulin relationship. One of the diet companies launched a campaign on it, but it is from sound nutritional research.

Adult onset diabetes and a host of other "medical" conditions are directly related to lifestyle. We want our lifestyle and a pill for any condition that doesn't suit us.

Let thy food by thy medicine...

+100 on this.

I would add our workaholic tendencies in pursuit of maintaining this lifestyle is one of the most egregious contributors to poor health. Europeans typically take twice as many 'holidays' as workers in the US. From my own personal observations, most seemed more physically fit than their US counterparts. There are also _FAR_ fewer preservatives in their foodstuffs, than compared to those in the US, and the food is also fresher. This difference, alone, should certainly contribute to the improved health of Europeans compared to US consumers.

Mike in AR

Viper
01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
+100 on this.

I would add our workaholic tendencies in pursuit of maintaining this lifestyle is one of the most egregious contributors to poor health. Europeans typically take twice as many 'holidays' as workers in the US. From my own personal observations, most seemed more physically fit than their US counterparts. There are also _FAR_ fewer preservatives in their foodstuffs, than compared to those in the US, and the food is also fresher. This difference, alone, should certainly contribute to the improved health of Europeans compared to US consumers.

Mike in AR

Your avatar =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdKU4JCYqg

WadePatton
01-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah Mike,

We're killing ourselves (as a nation) in order to "live better"?!

No thing wrong with hard work, but it must be balanced and we have a pitiful concept of that balance.

And we have some misguided notion that the fix is the cure without addressing the real causes.

Acotts
01-23-2008, 11:06 AM
The FAT is catching up to Europeans as well. They are on the same course we are for obesity, they are just 20 years behind. South America is on an even worse path.

Good ole USA, still blazin trails.

regularguy412
01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Your avatar =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdKU4JCYqg

OH YEAH!! Bugs is my hero. (alter ego, mebbe??) He's irreverent, but harmless. And he means well. I have about 150 Bugs Bunny cartoons saved on CDs. The best ones were made in the 1950s and 1960s.

Gotta love Gossamer, the Pink (really more 'orange') Monster. As I recall, he was only in two of the original cartoons. The youtube link you posted is definitely a hoot.

Mike in AR:beer:

DfCas
01-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Whether fat causes type 2 or type 2 causes fat has been studied for many years.Like the chicken/egg thing,they go hand in hand. Type 2's typically have high serem insulin levels when diagnosed,and weight loss and exercise improve receptor sensitivity.

The glycemic index chart has largely been thrown out by diabetes experts-table sugar is absorbed more slowly than cooked carrots or rice. The way to make any carb more complex is to eat fat and protein at the same time,which slows down the digestive process.

Long term,type 2's really need to control their weight and exercise. Surgical procedures may help delay the onset,but I'm betting it will still come if they don't make lifestyle changes.

For those that don't know the basic difference in the 2 types,type 1 is an auto immune disease than destroys the part of the pancreas that makes insulin. Most common in children,it also occurs in adults.I got it when I was 30.

Type 2's usually produce and have insulin ,but have resistance to using it.it is the kinder,gentler form of diabetes,but its not very kind or gentle.

WadePatton
01-23-2008, 01:53 PM
I apologize if my understanding of the GI is outdated. The research seemed sound when I read of it some years back--being results based and not 100% laboratory developed. I've not had reason to revisit the subject.

Chicken/egg, yes plenty of that going 'round.

I've had folks tell me (when body-type classification was the newest excuse--endo/ectomorph I think were the words) that I was "naturally skinny".

To which I replied MY EFFING ARSE!

I have weighed more and could EASILY weigh much much more. Food and Drink are very easy to overdo... and I work on that every single day, as I see prevention as a preferred option. I understand that there are a myriad of causes in each obesity case--we're all different. Oversimplification is tidy, but not always accurate. What works for one doesn't always work for the other.

See Lewis Black on water and the diet of a 115 year-old man. (ff to 7:40 if you are language sensitive) http://youtube.com/watch?v=yNGWn-aWn5g&feature=related

Some folks just want an excuse for their inattention to detail.