PDA

View Full Version : OT: DAMMIT!!!! This Is Terrible...TUNA KILLS?

ti_boi
01-22-2008, 08:29 PM
NEW YORK: Recent laboratory tests performed for The New York Times found so much mercury in tuna sushi that a regular diet of even two or three pieces a week at some restaurants could be a health hazard for the average adult, based on guidelines set out by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Eight of the 44 pieces of sushi The Times purchased from local restaurants and stores in October had mercury levels so high that the Food and Drug Administration could take legal action to remove the fish from the market.

Although all the samples were gathered in New York City, experts believe similar results would be observed elsewhere. "Mercury levels in bluefin are likely to be very high, regardless of location," said Tim Fitzgerald, a marine scientist for Environmental Defense, an advocacy group that works to protect the environment and improve human health. Most of the stores and restaurants in the survey said the tuna The Times had sampled was bluefin.

In 2004, the Food and Drug Administration joined with the Environmental Protection Agency to warn children and women who may become pregnant to limit their consumption of certain varieties of canned tuna because the mercury it contained might damage the developing nervous system. Fresh tuna was not included in the advisory. The tuna sushi in The Times sample contained far more mercury than is typically found in canned tuna.

Over the past several years, studies have suggested that mercury may also cause health problems for adults, including an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and neurological symptoms.

morty
01-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Tofuna (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/7518)

Viper
01-22-2008, 08:40 PM
When you talk politico I do believe you ate too much tuna; demasiado mi amigo, demasiado con Senor Charlie el Tuna.

http://www.advertisingiconmuseum.com/inside/c4/3248013.html

:D

Elefantino
01-22-2008, 08:43 PM
I just had seared ahi tuna for dinner.

I am going to turn the lights out now and see if I glow.

BumbleBeeDave
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
. . . because I think far more people-including me!--eat that. What if I have a tuna sandwich once or twice a week? Just as bad?

Man, I don't think Sandy's going to like this. I hear he really likes tuna sandwiches . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

ti_boi
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
When you talk politico I do believe you ate too much tuna; demasiado mi amigo, demasiado con Senor Charlie el Tuna.

http://www.advertisingiconmuseum.com/inside/c4/3248013.html

:D

can't help myself......I love the tuna....this really kills me.
I like John McCain though.....he is pharma friendly. And I need that.

fiamme red
01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
. . . because I think far more people-including me!--eat that. What if I have a tuna sandwich once or twice a week? Just as bad?It figures that you like tuna.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/whistler40069/bumble-bee-tuna.jpg

ti_boi
01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
The irony here is that I always thought tuna was one of the healthiest foods I could find....and now.....not....so.....sure.

BumbleBeeDave
01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
My FAVORITE brand! ;)

BBD

chuckroast
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called "wheat germ, organic honey and tiger's milk."
Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.
Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?
Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.
Dr. Melik: Incredible.

dookie
01-22-2008, 09:23 PM
la, la, la....i can't hear you.

what?

sellsworth
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
... nature bats last ...

ti_boi
01-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Switching to SALMON............... :beer:

Kevan
01-23-2008, 05:51 AM
this is why I eat hotdogs.

old_school
01-23-2008, 06:17 AM
wait a bit and there will be another report out saying tuna is the best damn thing tou can eat ... sort of like eggs, coffee, chocolate - good one week, bad the next.

meanwhile, I won't be removing that tuna tattoo from my arm anytime soon.

ti_boi
01-23-2008, 06:38 AM
wait a bit and there will be another report out saying tuna is the best damn thing tou can eat ... sort of like eggs, coffee, chocolate - good one week, bad the next.

meanwhile, I won't be removing that tuna tattoo from my arm anytime soon.

;)

old_school
01-23-2008, 07:04 AM
;)

you're killing me ...
I need to learn how to use my cell phone camera

Too Tall
01-23-2008, 07:15 AM
(tch) That's plain ignorant. Folks in the know order this as "Silver Toro" at the better Sushi joints. :rolleyes:

Tom
01-23-2008, 07:58 AM
"A man eat sushi like that, he gonna die!"

"When?"

And to think I've been drinking heavily and playing in traffic and been getting it all wrong up to now. I guess I'm calling Mari's and making reservations for every day the next three weeks or so.

Acotts
01-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Now, dont quote me becuase I am no expert. But I went through the whole "is tuna bad for me" phase and spoke with a nutritionist. (at the time I was training for an IronMan so I talked to a nutritionist with a phd, to see what I should be eating).

Anyways, the Doctor said that I should not be too concerned with the mercury content. Granted, this was in regards to canned tuna. He said that we eat so many toxins every day in everything we eat, that this is really just a drop in the bucket. A person of 150 lbs or over can eat it two or three cans a week for decades and never see a problem.

Seriously, we get 1000x more toxins from eating any food that is cooked on a metal pan, the chlorine in water, and the pesticides in our food. our bodies are made to process 99.99999% of the stuff. In fact, we have very little idea how,or why it effects people.

Its kinda like cigarretts. Smokig a pack a day wont neccessarily give you cancer. There is a certain % of folks who are barely affected by it. In the case of mercury poisioning, we are talking about an extremely low percentage threat. Sure there will be that guy who gets poisioned by it. But there will likely be plenty of other contributing factors.

He also menitoned that the body is pretty smart. If it feels like you are eating to much tuna, you will loose you apetite for it. It is a pretty basic survival response.

I hope this helps.

-Andrew :beer:

aLexis
01-23-2008, 08:47 AM
A person of 150 lbs or over can eat it two or three cans a week for decades and never see a problem....

He also menitoned that the body is pretty smart. If it feels like you are eating to much tuna, you will loose you apetite for it. It is a pretty basic survival response.

I hope this helps.

-Andrew :beer:

swoop can eat his body weight in sushi and not even feel full.
be careful, swoop.

cpg
01-23-2008, 09:51 AM
This is old news about tuna. You can eat it but it does have mercury. Generally I believe people don't want to accept the problem with mercury because we're surrounded by it. Tuna, swordfish and any other long living long traveled fish tend to have varying amounts of mercury in them. If you've got any amalgam fillings in your mouth you've got a "bunch" of mercury right there. When I say a bunch I know it's not a lot but it doesn't take much mercury to be problematic. Currently Scandinavian countries are phasing out amalgam fillings because they recognize sticking mercury in one's mouth doesn't make much sense combined with the fact there are good alternatives. Mercury is a problem and I try to limit my exposure but I still have some amalgam fillings and eat tuna occasionally. Of course life will kill you but why rush into it?

Curt

sg8357
01-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Of course life will kill you but why rush into it?

Curt

You've got an invalid haircut
It hurts when you smile
You'd better get out of town
Before your nickname expires
It's the kingdom of the spiders
It's the empire of the ants
You need a permit to walk around downtown
You need a license to dance

Life'll kill ya
That's what I said
Life'll kill ya
Then you'll be dead
Life'll find ya
Wherever you go
Requiescat in pace
That's all she wrote

From the President of the United States
To the lowliest rock and roll star
The doctor is in and he'll see you now
He don't care who you are
Some get the awful, awful diseases
Some get the knife, some get the gun
Some get to die in their sleep
At the age of a hundred and one

Life'll kill ya
That's what I said
Life'll kill ya
Then you'll be dead
Life'll find ya
Wherever you go
Requiescat in pace
That's all she wrote

Maybe you'll go to heaven
See Uncle Al and Uncle Lou
Maybe you'll be reincarnated
Maybe that stuff's true
If you were good
Maybe you'll come back as someone nice
And if you were bad
Maybe you'll have to pay the price

Life'll kill ya
That's what I said
Life'll kill ya
Then you'll be dead
Life'll find ya
Wherever you go
Requiescat in pace
That's all she wrote

The late great Warren Zevon, Zevon Music BMI

lemonlaug
01-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Canned tuna and sushi tuna are pretty different.

The sushi variety is blue-fin, which comes from a much larger fish, which is higher on the food chain, and has had to live longer to get so big, and therefore eat more small guys all of which have mercury in them. Basically it gets concentrated the higher up the food chain you go, and blue-fin is near the top.

Canned tuna comes from other varieties, and is less of a concern. As the article mentions, the warning is specifically with regards to sushi tuna, not canned tuna. "Most of the tuna sushi in the Times samples contained far more mercury than is typically found in canned tuna." Canned tuna carries it's own advisories from the FDA, but we're talking about another ballpark with the high class stuff.

And finally, I just want to say that despite the fact that I think it's delicious, I've sworn off tuna, for reasons other than mercury. Because they're large, and slow growing, blue-fin are particularly ill-suited to withstanding fishing pressures. The REALLY high price, means that it's still worthwhile for boats to go out and catch them even as the numbers dwindle. I for one have no intention of eating the last one, even if I can afford it.

The problem with trying to be careful about the seafood you eat is that there is no single rule to be followed. Some farmed fish are considered good (catfish, tilapia), some bad (salmon), the method of catch, and the origin matters too, and much of this information is difficult to find as a consumer. I feel pretty strongly that consumers have to do something (even though I don't believe they will) because regulating fisheries is a nightmare, and enforcing such regs is challenging to say the least.

Here's a handy guide you can refer to in your decision making. I don't carry it in my wallet, instead I keep it on the fridge, and over a year or so I've really absorbed quite a bit just by seeing it every day.
http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.asp

Sorry to be such a buzzkill.

old_school
01-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Just read the fish to avoid for the Northeast ...

I should be dead by now.

Bud_E
01-23-2008, 01:48 PM
According to 60 minutes IIRC there won't be anymore bluefin tuna around soon enough. They're way overfished by fishing boats that are basically gigantic floating factories.

Ray
01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Canned tuna carries it's own advisories from the FDA, but we're talking about another ballpark with the high class stuff.
Finally, we the poor and middle class folks have something go their way relative to the well-off. It should be an election issue - the Republicans can never stand for this!

-Ray

shinomaster
01-23-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm worried about all the metal filling in my mouth :confused:

Erik.Lazdins
01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
According to 60 minutes IIRC there won't be anymore bluefin tuna around soon enough. They're way overfished by fishing boats that are basically gigantic floating factories.

I recall seeing that as well - bluefin is overfished.

I had it once, bought it at the fish market in the late 90's, grilled it a couple minutes per side - it was fantastic. Typically grill yellow fin, and salmon.

shinomaster
01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I feel worse about eating fish than cows, pigs, chickens and baby lamb chops.

jeffg
01-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Canned tuna and sushi tuna are pretty different.

The sushi variety is blue-fin, which comes from a much larger fish, which is higher on the food chain, and has had to live longer to get so big, and therefore eat more small guys all of which have mercury in them. Basically it gets concentrated the higher up the food chain you go, and blue-fin is near the top.

Canned tuna comes from other varieties, and is less of a concern. As the article mentions, the warning is specifically with regards to sushi tuna, not canned tuna. "Most of the tuna sushi in the Times samples contained far more mercury than is typically found in canned tuna." Canned tuna carries it's own advisories from the FDA, but we're talking about another ballpark with the high class stuff.

And finally, I just want to say that despite the fact that I think it's delicious, I've sworn off tuna, for reasons other than mercury. Because they're large, and slow growing, blue-fin are particularly ill-suited to withstanding fishing pressures. The REALLY high price, means that it's still worthwhile for boats to go out and catch them even as the numbers dwindle. I for one have no intention of eating the last one, even if I can afford it.

The problem with trying to be careful about the seafood you eat is that there is no single rule to be followed. Some farmed fish are considered good (catfish, tilapia), some bad (salmon), the method of catch, and the origin matters too, and much of this information is difficult to find as a consumer. I feel pretty strongly that consumers have to do something (even though I don't believe they will) because regulating fisheries is a nightmare, and enforcing such regs is challenging to say the least.

Here's a handy guide you can refer to in your decision making. I don't carry it in my wallet, instead I keep it on the fridge, and over a year or so I've really absorbed quite a bit just by seeing it every day.
http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.asp

Sorry to be such a buzzkill.

Yeah, I love monkfish ... :crap:

If I could get arctic char I would feast on it (one of the Best Choices for folks in the Northeast).