PDA

View Full Version : Sand Point, ID - thinking about a move

link
01-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Anyone out there familiar with Sandpoint? I've been cruising the chamber web site and other online resources.

I'd be moving from the CO Central Rockies - near Breckenridge and Vail. So I'd be losing a little elevation.

conorb
01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
My family spent a lot of time there on the lake during the summers and skiing during the winters.

It's a great place - or at least I remember it being a great place. :)

I haven't been out there in a long time.

conorb

Sasha18
01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Isn't that Aryan Nation territory? It's beautiful, I'll give it that.

MRB
01-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Sandpoint is nice. I have been there a bunch. It is on a lake, and has a ski resort (Schweitzer). The summer music festival is cool too, with John Prine, Nancy Griffith and the likes.

The last time I was there for a bike race, Phil Anderson, the Piranha, showed up for the local stage race and kicked our A$$ in the hill climb T.T. It's cool to be beat by a Euro Pro, imho.

Best of luck if you take the move. Take a 3 hour drive over to Montana; aka God's Country, Crown of the Continent, et al.

John

cadence90
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
I've never been, but isn't Sandpoint, ID where Matt Chester was/is working out of?

Brian Smith
01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I've never been, but isn't Sandpoint, ID where Matt Chester was/is working out of?

Yes, he's still there.
We're college buddies, and I used to wrench on/assemble his rigs when he was a courier.

He doesn't have bad things to say about Sandpoint, besides the usual gripes of out-of-towners moving in and making the place less affordable for dirt-poor bicycle frame builders. Maybe you're a few years late, but the party's started.

link
01-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Isn't that Aryan Nation territory? It's beautiful, I'll give it that.

My research shows that the Aryans lost both their intellectual and Idaho real property in a 2001 lawsuit. The once name 20 acre Hayden Lake Compound in Northern ID was the stronghold for Aryans from the early 70s through 2001. It has since been sold and subsequently donated to the North Idaho College. It's now called Peace Park.

Since then they have splintered to Pennsylvania and Alabama. Only 200 people attended the 2002 Aryan Nations World Conference.

I think Sandpoint is safely removed from Aryan facists.

link
01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
...besides the usual gripes of out-of-towners moving in and making the place less affordable for dirt-poor bicycle frame builders...

Uh, oh. I know all 'bout that. I've been in my lil' mountain town for over 15 years. It ain't lil' anymore.

Just looking to downsize ...again.

Looks like Matt is on the move too. From his website:

"New workshop in Hamilton, Ontario by spring 2008." (http://mattchester.blogspot.com/)

72gmc
01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Been to Sandpoint once. Performed a happy dance in a Sandpoint bar when Duke beat Kentucky in the epic NCAA tournament "best game ever." Saw equally epic yard sales by family and friends on the hill. Had a great week of sun and skiing. Drank a lot of Kokanee. I'd go back.

Sasha18
01-22-2008, 07:08 PM
My research shows that the Aryans lost both their intellectual and Idaho real property in a 2001 lawsuit. The once name 20 acre Hayden Lake Compound in Northern ID was the stronghold for Aryans from the early 70s through 2001. It has since been sold and subsequently donated to the North Idaho College. It's now called Peace Park.

Since then they have splintered to Pennsylvania and Alabama. Only 200 people attended the 2002 Aryan Nations World Conference.

I think Sandpoint is safely removed from Aryan facists.

Glad to hear it.