PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy

rwsaunders
01-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Any questions that I should ask at my upcoming Colonoscopy, besides "Will you still respect me in the morning?".

All kidding aside, I'm scheduled for the procedure next week as part of a routine physical and the Doc's office (staff nurse) couldn't be more impersonal. She reminds me of an old album cover (I can't recall the band) that had a photo of a nurse putting on a rubber glove.

BumbleBeeDave
01-22-2008, 09:56 AM
. . . that I remember because I'm approaching 50 and not particularly looking forward to getting my first one.

The story recounted a study that followed men after their procedure and found that the rate of early cancer detection from the procedure was directly related to the amount of time the doctor spent doing it. The suggestion in the story was that doctors hurried the procedure sometimes, not looking as carefully as they could have because they were trying to spare the patient further discomfort.

So the study specifically suggested that patients tell their doctors to take as long as necessary--that any discomfort was OK in the larger interest of finding any early signs of cancer. The more family history of cancer, the more important it is to do a thorough inspection. A more lengthy procedure equals better detection. So I guess as long as he's in there he might as well do it right . . . Ouch.

BBD

J.Greene
01-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Due to family history my doc is going to schedule one the next time I see him. I'm 38. The discomfort has to be less than beating cancer and living with a colostomy bag. It's a serious procedure that we should not put off.

JG

torquer
01-22-2008, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=BumbleBeeDave
doctors hurried the procedure sometimes, not looking as carefully as they could have because they were trying to spare the patient further discomfort

BBD[/QUOTE]

The discomfort, ATMO, comes during the preparation the day before. THAT is misery!

Once you're in the doc's office, as long as you get the right drugs, you're golden.

rpm
01-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm in a risk category where I'm supposed to get one every year, so I'll be scheduling mine soon. The worst part is not the procedure itself, but the preparation--that gallon of stuff that you have to drink the night before. It's best to get chill it as much as possible, and then gulp each glass down. You're not supposed to eat or drink anything, but chewing a little bit of sugarless gum can help with the aftertaste and won't affect the procedure.

The sedative they give you doesn't knock you out, but sort of sends you off to a happier place. You don't feel much, but it leaves you kind of rummy and dragged out afterwards, which is why you can't drive home. I actually get mine without the sedative, because the pain doesn't bother me that much, but I wouldn't recommend that for anybody else.

BarryG
01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Just wanted to check - are we correct in assuming that a gastroenterologist will be performing the colonoscopy and not your family doc?

FWIW, my experience was that discomfort was not at all related to the duration of the procedure. There was discomfort for a brief time when he was navigating a twisty section (sigmoid?) going in, but otherwise fine (and undrugged was I).

Bob Ross
01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
The discomfort, ATMO, comes during the preparation the day before. THAT is misery!

Once you're in the doc's office, as long as you get the right drugs, you're golden.

+1

Due to a genetic predisposition towards colo-rectal cancer, I've been getting colonoscopies every 5 years since I turned 30. When I was 45 the doctor discovered one or two small polyps; he removed them during the course of the procedure, and scheduled my next colonoscopy for 2 years instead of 5. It's such a slow-developing disease that vigilance is both easy and (usually) sufficient.

There is absolutely nothing physically uncomfortable about the procedure itself. Once the anesthesia kicks in you won't know what happened, and there won't be any residual discomfort after waking up. It's a non-issue.

The night before prep on the other hand...

CNY rider
01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
If you hear any jokes that end with "Rectum.......damned near killed him!" go ahead and laugh heartily.

rdparadise
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
I had my first colonoscopy 2 years ago at the age of 48. I didn't want to wait until 50 so I asked my doc. for an early referral. No more gallon of crap to drink the night before, now it's concentrated in a small 4-6 oz. bottle. Tasted aweful and I was crapping for the next 12 hours until the procedure.

You're out cold for the procedure so the discomfort if any at that point is the mental anguish and the stomach, colon churn of evacuating yourself completely for the preceeding 12+ hours.

On another note, I lost a college body to colon cancer 3 years ago. He had his first colonoscopy at 45 and was dead 3 years later. They found a football size tumor in there. I couldn't believe it and seeing him less than 2 weeks before he passed, he looked like the picture of health. (honestly) He was trim, looked fit and in relatively good spirits. Or was that the morphine? Anyway, it was sad to see him go and prompted me to get checked out sooner rather than later.

Good idea and good luck.

Bob

MilanoTom
01-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I've got one scheduled for February 1st. My last one was close to five years ago. As was already said, the procedure was not a problem. The prep was no fun, though. I was amazed at how fast lime jello can travel through one's system.

Tom

palincss
01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Any questions that I should ask at my upcoming Colonoscopy, besides "Will you still respect me in the morning?".

All kidding aside, I'm scheduled for the procedure next week as part of a routine physical and the Doc's office (staff nurse) couldn't be more impersonal. She reminds me of an old album cover (I can't recall the band) that had a photo of a nurse putting on a rubber glove.

The procedure itself is a total non-event. It's the preparation the night before that you will remember always.

stackie
01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Blink 182, Enema of the State. If the nurse looked anything like the one on the album cover, it would be a good reason to continue seeing that Doc.

Seriously, most patients tell me the worst is the prep.

The gastroenterologist will provide sedation which will be administered by a nurse. However, if you cannont tolerate the procedure with this level of anesthesia, you can request to have an anesthesiologist perform the anesthesia. Then, you could have any amount of anesthesia up to general! Only problem is that many insurance companies will not pay for anesthesia unless a therapeutic procedure is performed, e.g. removing a polyp. So, if the procedure winds up being just diagnostic, you may have to pay a couple of hundred dollars for the anesthesia. Hey, I've got expenses too!

Good luck

Jon

rwsaunders
01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Just wanted to check - are we correct in assuming that a gastroenterologist will be performing the colonoscopy and not your family doc?

You're correct, it's the Gastro and not the family Doc. Its hard to believe, but I actually had to have a prescription for the procedure, as some health care providers won't cover the cost if it's considered routine. You would think that in terms of preventative care, that this wouldn't be an issue.

palincss
01-22-2008, 11:05 AM
The suggestion in the story was that doctors hurried the procedure sometimes, not looking as carefully as they could have because they were trying to spare the patient further discomfort.

Discomfort? What discomfort? I was asked to count to ten, didn't make it past five or six.

It's a long way from the old rigid sigmoidoscopes they used back in the early 1970s. They didn't bend around corners, you did -- and that definitely was uncomfortable.

palincss
01-22-2008, 11:07 AM
The worst part is not the procedure itself, but the preparation--that gallon of stuff that you have to drink the night before.

As I said, unforgettable.

However, they didn't do it that way the last time I had one. I had a few dozen pills I had to take, and instead of drinking a gallon of stuff that tasted like seawater, I had to drink Propel Water, and only a couple of pints of it.

Still unforgettable, though...

Acotts
01-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Well, I am 26 and I got my first one a month ago. The worst part is watching the giant flat screen TV that is projecting your intestines. Its worse than watching sausage be made.

Some things a man just wasn't supposed to see.

mvanhorn
01-22-2008, 11:27 AM
A gastroenterologist claims these are actual comments made by his patients made while he was performing colonoscopies:
"Take it easy, Doc, you're boldly going where no man has gone before."
"Find Amelia Earhart yet?"
"Can you hear me NOW?"
"Oh boy, that was sphincterrific!"
Could you write me a note for my wife, saying that my head is not, in fact, up there?"
"You know, in some states, we're now legally married."
"Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?"
"You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out. Then you do the Hokey Pokey...."
"Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!"
"If your hand doesn't fit, you must acquit!"
"Hey, Doc, let me know if you find my dignity."
"You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?"

My second procedure is scheduled for this Friday. The prep is definitely more memorable than the procedure!

Keith A
01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
All kidding aside, I'm scheduled for the procedure next week as part of a routine physical and the Doc's office (staff nurse) couldn't be more impersonal. She reminds me of an old album cover (I can't recall the band) that had a photo of a nurse putting on a rubber glove.Then you must not be talking about this album cover :rolleyes:

http://rocknblog.canalblog.com/images/blink_182___enema_of_the_state_a.jpg

onekgguy
01-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I just had mine two weeks ago. Any fears you have you can forget about...piece of cake. The day before isn't all that bad...at least not as bad as I was expecting it to be. I could eat normally up until 2:00pm then no more solid food until after the procedure. I used the 'golightly' drink (which was one gallon of prep) and began that at 5:00pm. It took two hours to drink the full gallon.

As for the procedure, I was fully awake but given some meds intravenously which would allow the doc to do his thing. I watched on the monitor and was conversant with the doctor and nurse. The procedure itself took a bit less than 15 minutes.

One small polyp was found and removed. He recommended I return again in 3 years. I'm 50.

Kevin g

2LeftCleats
01-22-2008, 11:56 AM
As stated, the worst part of the procedure is the day before, but what hasn't been mentioned is that the funniest part is in the recovery room afterwards. At our hospital, many of these procedures are done and there is a large recovery room filled with groggy people waking up after their procedures. The primary indicator that the patient is ready to be sent home is when he or she passes the gas that is used to inflate the colon during the procedure. The nurses sit at their desk and listen for the telltale sounds, walk over to the perpetrator and pronounce them fit for release. As I sat there with my wife, it was comically surreal to hear the "pffft's" coming first from behind one curtain and then another, kind of like popcorn.

PaulE
01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
being the worst part. You will still be going long after you think you couldn't possibly give any more. Which is why I will never understand why anyone gets a "virtual colonoscopy" - you still clear out but if they find anything you need to do it a second time for the fix. Who wants that?

Only other real advice I can offer is to schedule your procedure to be the very first appointment they do in the morning. That way you are not hungry all day and there are no delays that might occur if they find the trapped miners or Amelia Earhart in the procedures that take place before your turn. No fun to be starved to the schwantz and then find out it will just be a little bit longer.

Good luck and don't let us how everything comes out, so to speak.

dschlichting
01-22-2008, 12:30 PM
I've had this done 3 times. No big deal.
But heard from my wife that one of her colleagues had this done with no anesthesia. Naturally, not a particularly pleasant experience. When I related this to my gastroenterologist, he was not surprised, and said that some insurance companies will not cover anesthesia. So this should probably be clarified before getting too DEEP into the process.
Depending on the time of your procedure, will have to cease eating solid food. What worked for me, was to pass the time on a bike ride just drinking the usual sports drink (in the approved color, of course, e.g. not red), but when it's time to take that stuff, don't venture too far from a bathroom.
Since you are somewhat inflated for the procedure, you may experience some uncomfortable gas afterwards, otherwise, it should be uneventful.
Good luck

Dan Le foot
01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Good luck with that, Bob.
I was scheduled for my 1st one a few months ago. Kept looking at the gallons of solution they sent for me to drink 24 hours before the procedure. And than the wild fires struck and we had to evacuate. Doc's office closed and had to postpone. Finally caught a break. :beer:
I guess I'll reschedule by and by.
Report back.
Dan

BarryG
01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
But heard from my wife that one of her colleagues had this done with no anesthesia. Naturally, not a particularly pleasant experience.
Nah, I took a pass on the anesthesia and it was no big deal. The discomfort only lasted about 30 secs in a twisty section but otherwise totally comfortable and a great view of the pink insides on the telly.

wdlewis
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Just went through my 2nd. Much improved process over the one 5 years ago.

Two 6 oz bottles of stuff in Powerade and lots of reading time in the "library" for the next 12 hours comprised the worst part of the process. Got HUNGRY and green jello doesn't help much. Green jello does stay green all the way through, amazing!

The new knockout stuff put me under instantly and I woke up totally alert. Went home with color photos of my innards and the 3 polyps the doctor removed. No cancer, but have to do it again in 3 years.

I lost a friend to colon cancer and he was in his early 50s. Nasty way to die. He was too busy to get the exam.

MartyE
01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Did you ever wonder who came up with the name "GoLightly" ?
I was given Miralax, which was a lot more palatable and about 1/2 the
volume of the Golightly.
I also opted for a twilight anesthesia as I didn't really want to be awake/aware
for my alien probing experience.
1 polyp removed, I schedule every 2 years now.

Marty

GregL
01-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Family history compelled me to start colon cancer screening earlier (age 35) than usual. I've had two scopings so far with no polyps. The second time was much easier than the first. Ate lots of jello, drank lots of Gatorade and tea. Clean out is unpleasant, but fairly brief.

I elected to do the second colonoscopy without anesthesia. The nurse looked at me like I was crazy, but the doc said he was game if I was. A bit uncomfortable, but tolerable if you have a high threshold for discomfort. The upside was that I was out the door 1/2 an hour after the procedure and could immediately drive and return to work & play. I had my procedure at 8:00 AM. By 9:00 AM, I was grabbing breakfast on the way to work. If you have the anesthesia, the stay in the recovery area is considerably longer and no driving/working for at least part of the day.

Regards,
Greg

Pete Serotta
01-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I feel for you - - not really - but I have a bottle of red going your way. Additionally it is wrapped in a private e-mail that stated this procedure is offensive - -- ESPECIALLY TO YOU

Bud_E
01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for this thread. I've putting off getting one for the last 5 years but now I'm going to do it.

As a friend of mine said after he got it done: "I've been reamed and redeemed!"

Pete Serotta
01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
They now have pills you can take instead of drinking the terrible drink. It is a recommended procedure...ugh

Thanks for this thread. I've putting off getting one for the last 5 years but now I'm going to do it.

sailorboy
01-22-2008, 03:50 PM
. The nurses sit at their desk and listen for the telltale sounds, walk over to the perpetrator and pronounce them fit for release. As I sat there with my wife, it was comically surreal to hear the "pffft's" coming first from behind one curtain and then another, kind of like popcorn.

Well, so much for complaining about how $hitty my job is ever again.

SoCalSteve
01-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Turning 50 this year and I was dreading it!!!

After reading about everyones experience, I am not dreading it (as much).

Thanks everyone!

Steve

malcolm
01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
PaulE
Virtual colon. If no family history they are a viable choice with much less risk of complication. In skilled hands they are as accurate and in some instances more accurate. If you have a family history they do not make sense. Many if not most insurance companies don't reimburse. They are like everything else very dependent on the person reading the study and the average radiologist probably has never read one. My wife was involved in an early study doing CT colons and they had very good results so much so that when the head of endoscopy needed his screening he got her to do a CT colon (virtual), which I think speaks volumes about the study. They now do very few secondary to reimbursment issues.

FMS_rider
01-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I dreaded the procedure to an extent that I put it off until 10 years after I should have. Fortunately I was lucky but a friend wasn't --it should not be considered as optional.

As it turned out it was as everyone has described it --no big deal and I won't hesitate at all next time. The only part I didn't like was seeing the images of the dead hamsters after I woke up.

Elefantino
01-22-2008, 06:21 PM
What a great thread. Have my first scheduled for the spring and after listening to Robin Williams' routine I was not looking forward to being an Evinrude.

Amazing how many of us are the same age, about to turn 50 or just having done so. Our parents must have done it with real gusto back in 1957.

Frankwurst
01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
What a great thread. Have my first scheduled for the spring and after listening to Robin Williams' routine I was not looking forward to being an Evinrude.

Amazing how many of us are the same age, about to turn 50 or just having done so. Our parents must have done it with real gusto back in 1957.

Yeah gusto indeed. My Dad describes his first one, quote "it was like having a baseball bat stuffed up my arse" but during one he had in his early 50's they discovered polyps. Removed em an at 74 he's still around. They aren't that tough now, have in done. It's good preventive maintenance for the horse that carrys the spirit through this life. :beer:

Lifelover
01-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Been There, Done That. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20738&highlight=Colonoscopy)

No Worries. They gave me an IV and told me that some people stay awake (kinda) and some sleep. I remember making the conscious decision that I would just assume sleep, I remember thinking "why is my hand relaxin......"

Woke up a few hours later, went home and out to dinner with my wife that night.

The best advise given is to schedule it as early in the morning as possible.

thwart
01-22-2008, 08:10 PM
The virtual colonoscopy is the way to go, atmo. No sedation, takes about 20 minutes. If you're lucky enough to be near a teaching hospital/university, ask your doc about it. Not the answer if you have a family history of colon cancer, though.

Recent article in the highly thought of NEJM medical journal supported the accuracy and value of this procedure.

The insurance industry is coming around in terms of coverage.

davids
01-23-2008, 08:05 AM
The virtual colonoscopy is the way to go, atmo. No sedation, takes about 20 minutes. If you're lucky enough to be near a teaching hospital/university, ask your doc about it. Not the answer if you have a family history of colon cancer, though.

Recent article in the highly thought of NEJM medical journal supported the accuracy and value of this procedure.

The insurance industry is coming around in terms of coverage.How does the virtual colonoscopy work? External imaging?

I'm 47, so this procedure's getting closer. Not pleasant, sure. But better than colon cancer.

thwart
01-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Yep, highly detailed external imaging.

Did I forget to mention the small diameter tube in your bottom to "inflate" you ever so slightly? :p

Acotts
01-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Did any of you have to watch the camera on a big TV? That was what got me. Its like, why rehash the past like that.

KeithS
01-23-2008, 08:49 AM
I had mine at 50. It is as others have characterized. The nurse said she was going to be administering a drug that gave me something like amnesia. She said that there wasn't really much worth remembering. I had mine done by a Gastro specialty practice as I assume you are. I have had more uncomfortable dental procedures. I have a friend who is a partner in the same group that did my procedure he said it will be a few more cycles before the virtual colonoscopy will be a real alternative. Will be taking work from GastroEnterology Doc's, so he isn't really looking forward to that, from a business perspective.

My mother is in a recovery cycle from colon cancer as are two friends. Mom had breast cancer 5 years ago and colon cancer last year. The friends, both in their early 50's did not have a colonoscopy that would have caught it early and very easily treatable. Surgery and chemotherapy are much more uncomfortable than the procedure.

If you are 50 and haven't had it done. Schedule it today!

PaulE
01-23-2008, 11:57 AM
PaulE
Virtual colon. If no family history they are a viable choice with much less risk of complication. In skilled hands they are as accurate and in some instances more accurate. If you have a family history they do not make sense. Many if not most insurance companies don't reimburse. They are like everything else very dependent on the person reading the study and the average radiologist probably has never read one. My wife was involved in an early study doing CT colons and they had very good results so much so that when the head of endoscopy needed his screening he got her to do a CT colon (virtual), which I think speaks volumes about the study. They now do very few secondary to reimbursment issues.

But don't you still need to clear out? If so, I would not want the virtual because in the event they found anything, they can fix it while they're in there instead of having to schedule another procedure and having to clear out again. Once every 5 years on the clearing out is fine for me.

JanG
01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm finding this thread very timely. I am 49, had my yearly physical yesterday, and my doc told me that a colonoscopy was in my future. While having one at 50 was no surprise, I was pretty ignorant of some of the details shared here.

My question is, what is the technology for the external imaging? Is it like a MRI?

thwart
01-23-2008, 12:21 PM
But don't you still need to clear out? If so, I would not want the virtual because in the event they found anything, they can fix it while they're in there instead of having to schedule another procedure and having to clear out again. Once every 5 years on the clearing out is fine for me.

The way they work it locally is that you stay "prepped" until the radiologist calls later that morning to advise you whether it's necessary to:

one) return for colonoscopy now to remove that nasty polyp they just saw, or

two) eat a hearty lunch and enjoy the rest of your day

... and the technology is computerized tomography (CT).

PaulE
01-23-2008, 01:15 PM
cleansing or fixing, traditional is fine with me. I've had two so far, the first one the anesthesia was sort of local, awake but groggy and didn't feel anything and the second time 5 years later I was totally out. I'm sure the technology is fine and the real issue is having it performed by someone good either way. But rather than staying prepped and waiting for the results I'll take one-stop shopping every time.

rwsaunders
01-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback; it's more than the head nurse gave me. I'm scheduled for next Tuesday morning. If I can't provide a live video link, I'll report later in the day. :butt:

manet
01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/450KERRY_NY109.jpg

Elefantino
01-24-2008, 03:45 AM

A fellow Serottan!

FMS_rider
01-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Manet, I got the best belly laugh I've had in a long time from your post.
I love this place.
Lew

bigtime
01-24-2008, 11:20 AM
SO TRUE! This place is ridiculous. I love it.

chuckred
01-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Really not as big a deal as it sounds (although be sure your doc does "conscious sedation".

The prep is a bit intimidating, but if you follow the instructions to the letter, relax and don't stray too far from the "john", it's not all that bad. A good flushing out to be sure! Cheaper than one of those new-wavy "high colonics"!

The actual procedure is a non-issue. They put an IV in, say "Hi" and the next thing you know you're ready to walk back to recovery. What happened in between is a secret only your doctor and nurse really know!

Better living through Chemistry!

PaulE
01-24-2008, 12:35 PM

But someone once told me that the definition of a proctoscope was a long tube with an @$$hole on both ends.

rwsaunders
01-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Let the games begin. :beer:

Louis
01-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Let the games begin. :beer:

We expect half-hour updates throughout !!!!

enjoy :butt:

FMS_rider
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
with pictures

BumbleBeeDave
01-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Don't pay attention to these bullies. Just turn the other cheek . . .

BBD

bcm119
01-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Some people think its funny...

but its really, really runny.

BumbleBeeDave
01-28-2008, 07:58 PM
. . . It runs in your Jeans! :eek:

BBD

KeithS
01-28-2008, 08:20 PM
So because of this thread I am discussing this topic with my dad. His colon is just fine but he's had some prostate issues. He tells me he has had recurring prostate issues since he was in his mid 40's. He's now 76. He had prostate cancer treatment about 6 years ago

We are typical stoic norweigen types and never really talk about anything personal in real depth.

Thanks dad..

Don't really need any advice here, just a lament. Hope your pooping is going ok RW. We're all behind you on this.

SoCalSteve
01-28-2008, 08:40 PM
So because of this thread I am discussing this topic with my dad. His colon is just fine but he's had some prostate issues. He tells me he has had recurring prostate issues since he was in his mid 40's. He's now 76. He had prostate cancer treatment about 6 years ago

We are typical stoic norweigen types and never really talk about anything personal in real depth.

Thanks dad..

Don't really need any advice here, just a lament. Hope your pooping is going ok RW. We're all behind you on this.

Pun intended?

Just askin'

Steve

KeithS
01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
We're not a subtle people either...

Buzz
01-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the club.

I recently went through this. The real fireworks didn't happen until the middle of the night. You might want to establish your own bathroom for the night.

In all seriousness, as others have previously pointed out this is a very important test, especially those with a family history. My father didn't have this option 32 years ago, barely survived his bout of cancer and ended up with a colostomy for the remainder of his life.

Buzz, 45, and yes, they found a small polyp - snipped it and I'm good to go.

malcolm
01-29-2008, 03:05 AM
virtual colon. yes you do have to prep and you will have air insufflated from there it is a CT scan and some very high tech software that 3D reconstructs your colon. Paul is right if something is found you will need colonscopy/biopsy. The virtual colon is safer, although colonscopy is fairly routine, it is more comfortable. If you have a family history of cancer or polyposis it is not the study for you. If someone is truly interested email me specifics and I'll have my wife answer, she was involved in some of the early studies and still does a few.

FMS_rider
01-29-2008, 08:49 AM
. . . It runs in your Jeans! :eek:

BBDMy sides are never going to stop aching if I keep following this thread!

catulle
01-29-2008, 09:43 AM

Er, if the Doc gets personal then you'd have to ask the question. The first time I had it done I asked the doctor when would he start and his answer was: Start? Hey, you're ready to go home. A simple procedure, totally painless. You're out before you know it. Of course, they put me to sleep when they do it and I assume that's the way it's always done.

ClutchCargo
01-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Er, if the Doc gets personal then you'd have to ask the question. The first time I had it done I asked the doctor when would he start and his answer was: Start? Hey, you're ready to go home. A simple procedure, totally painless. You're out before you know it. Of course, they put me to sleep when they do it and I assume that's the way it's always done.

I believe they often give the patient a Demerol drip. they did that to me and
at the same time put an oxygen mask on me and I vividly remember
thinking "Wow, this oxygen is GREAT stuff! -- no wonder those football
players are always sucking through those masks on the sidelines." :D :D
That was the last thing I remembered until it was time to get dressed.

FMS_rider
01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I believe they often give the patient a Demerol drip. they did that to me and
at the same time put an oxygen mask on me and I vividly remember
thinking "Wow, this oxygen is GREAT stuff! -- no wonder those football
players are always sucking through those masks on the sidelines." :D :D
That was the last thing I remembered until it was time to get dressed.I suspect they also give you scopolamine or a similar drug to wipe out any residual memory from the procedure (so they don't have to put you under full anesthesia).

rwsaunders
01-29-2008, 02:35 PM
RW was in the waiting room at 12:00 pm, eating pancakes with Mrs. RW at Bob Evans at 1:15pm. Got the "all clear" from the Doc and I'm feeling mighty good about it.

The prep the day before was a humbling experience, but the procedure itself was extremely organized by the crew at the Medical Center, and they were first class to deal with...even the head nurse.

I was sedated just enough not to feel anything or to be able to move. I was awake enough however, to hear the crew talking through the procedure (all of 15 minutes). They were concerned that I had a bee sting allergy, with a history of low blood pressure, so they didn't go for the KO.

Thanks for all of your insight and commentaries. You younger bucks out there, eat plenty of spinach and stay in tune with your Docs. :banana:

MikeW55
01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
There are two types of anesthesia commonly used for colonoscopy. The first is "conscious sedation". These are the folks who say that they were up during the procedure, and possibly watching on the TV monitor, or drifting in and out. The medications are administered by the gastroenterologist or a nurse, no anesthesiologist is present. The medications used to be demerol (a narcotic) and valium (a sedative) but these days two newer medications are used. These are fentanyl which is a more powerful synthetic narcotic, and versed. Both medications, although strong, are shorter acting and have fewer side effects than the older ones. They are considered safe, however, because both have specific antidotes which may be administered if you become too sedated. (and stop breathing). The second is a medication called propofol (trade name Diprivan). This is administered by an anesthesiologist, and you are asleep. But the great advantage of propofol is that it wears off very quickly with absolutely no hangover. By the time you leave you are wide awake. The anesthesia is also very smooth and pleasant-these are the folks who say "that was the best sleep I ever had, I can't believe its over". Of course its also possible to have the procedure with no sedation, but thats not a common choice. There are apparently wide geographic variations in the methods used, in some areas having propofol and an anesthesiologist is common, some areas not so. Insurance coverage also varies. But at least you don't have to worry about carbon fibre vs titanium vs steel.
Mike

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Glad to hear it went well!

Can we make some more stupid jokes now? . . . ;)

BBD

Louis
01-29-2008, 03:18 PM
MikeW,

What do you think they used for my sedative / epidural when I had knee surgery about 10 years ago? Whatever it was, it nearly killed me, because part way throught the procedure my blood pressure dropped big time and they had to give me atropine.

TIA
Louis

MikeW55
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Hypotension (low blood pressure) and bradycardia (slow heart rate) are not unexpected side effects of epidural anesthesia for knee surgery. Bradycardia is treated commonly with atropine, and ephedrine or similar medications treat the low BP. Its usually not a problem.
Mike

KeithS
01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
BBD wrote:

Glad to hear it went well!

Can we make some more stupid jokes now? . . .

BBD

Really glad it turned out well.

Bet you're glad to have that behind you...

Bud_E
01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Okay RW. Inspired by this thread I scheduled the initial consultation today with a Doc who's on the Blue Cross PPO -- I have no excuses now.

Good to hear you got the "all clear"

DarrenCT
01-29-2008, 08:57 PM
bobsta,

glad everything went well. treat yourself to a nice glass of vino or beer

:beer:

rwsaunders
01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Starting things off slowly D, with Nilla Wafers and milk.

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Really glad it turned out well.

Bet you're glad to have that behind you...

Always nice to know we can depend on you! :beer:

But I think we should, uh, move on now. I'm getting kinda tired of the hole thing. :rolleyes:

BBD

e-RICHIE
01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
atmo (http://www.brown.edu/)

bcm119
01-29-2008, 09:54 PM
atmo (http://www.brown.edu/)
you new englanders should loosen up

capybaras
01-29-2008, 09:58 PM

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
. . . why Richie doesn't make any stool-suspension bikes.

BBD

kipjac
02-07-2008, 08:49 AM
:butt:

Listen people, a colonoscopy ain't no big thing. The worst part of it is the prep; you gotta drink a whole lot of nasty bowel prep solution which basically will make you **** tons of liquid effluvia for several hours prior to the scope.

The scope procedure is no biggie; you're totally sedated throughout the whole thing and you shouldn't feel even a whit of discomfort afterwards unless the dude doing the procedure is a hack and perfed your bowel in which case would require immediate surgical repair. Bummer, that.

Mine was done last summer and it was all very benign and easy. The nurse inserted a small IV port through which she administered a short acting sedative (Versed and Fentanyl) and the last thing I remember is meeting the doc in the procedure room, then turning over on my side to expose my *** through the back side of the open hospital gown.

I awoke with my wife at my side and I had absolutely no recall of any part of it. She said I even carried on jovial conversation with the nurses after it was over and I had recollection of it whatsoever. Amnesiacs are wonderful things atmo.

MilanoTom
02-07-2008, 09:27 AM
:butt:

Listen people, a colonoscopy ain't no big thing. The worst part of it is the prep; you gotta drink a whole lot of nasty bowel prep solution which basically will make you **** tons of liquid effluvia for several hours prior to the scope.

The scope procedure is no biggie; you're totally sedated throughout the whole thing and you shouldn't feel even a whit of discomfort afterwards unless the dude doing the procedure is a hack and perfed your bowel in which case would require immediate surgical repair. Bummer, that.

Mine was done last summer and it was all very benign and easy. The nurse inserted a small IV port through which she administered a short acting sedative (Versed and Fentanyl) and the last thing I remember is meeting the doc in the procedure room, then turning over on my side to expose my *** through the back side of the open hospital gown.

I awoke with my wife at my side and I had absolutely no recall of any part of it. She said I even carried on jovial conversation with the nurses after it was over and I had recollection of it whatsoever. Amnesiacs are wonderful things atmo.

+1

I had one this past Friday. I got Versed & Demerol in the IV port and all I remember was turning on my side. The next thing I knew, I was awake and it was all over. The prep didn't even seem as bad as it did five years ago, possibly because I knew what to expect.

If you're of the recommended age, or you have family history working against you (as in my case), don't put it off.

Take a monent to follow this link, and read the list of those who have died from colon cancer. It's a lot longer than it should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Colorectal_cancer_deaths

Regards.
Tom

Bud_E
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Mine is scheduled for 2 weeks from today, partly as a result of this thread ( but mostly because my wife was on my case about it :argue: :rolleyes: ).

This thread could be a public service sticky.

Bud_E
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Okay - I'm dredging up this old chestnut of a thread again. I had it done this morning ( as well as an endoscopy down the esophagus ) -- no problem - if you're overdue for one just do it !

By the way I highly recommend that you use Dr. Rawls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI1go72c5H8) for the procedure.

Ray
03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
I have NO IDEA why I feel compelled to share and dredge this nasty-a$$ thread up again. I guess its a real middle-aged rite of passage.

Had my first one done this morning. Everyone is right. The procedure is a total non-event. All the impact of a short nap. But the prep is worse than awful. Nothing more solid than broth the whole day before and the pills or drink starts up around four in the afternoon. From about 4:30 until nearly midnight, you will LIVE on the toilet.

Advice - get a big old box of VERY GENTLE baby-wipes. With regular toilet paper, you will almost literally tear yourself a new one. Yech! My wife more or less moved out of the bedroom for the night. I don't blame her - if I'd known how bad it nasty it would be, I'd have gone elsewhere and left her in peace. Its not like I was getting any rest.

All is well. One very tiny polyp, which is out. I'm just about 49, had some recurring abdominal pain a few weeks ago, which the doc figured was nothing, but since I'm due in a year anyway, he recommended doing it now to be on the safe side.

Get er' done - nothing to fear.

-Ray

stevep
03-25-2008, 04:01 PM
had one a couple of weeks ago.
the actual test was nada.

the night before lacked enjoyment.

imm
08-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Get'r done and you'll have more peace of mind.

+1

Due to a genetic predisposition towards colo-rectal cancer, I've been getting colonoscopies every 5 years since I turned 30. When I was 45 the doctor discovered one or two small polyps; he removed them during the course of the procedure, and scheduled my next colonoscopy for 2 years instead of 5. It's such a slow-developing disease that vigilance is both easy and (usually) sufficient.

There is absolutely nothing physically uncomfortable about the procedure itself. Once the anesthesia kicks in you won't know what happened, and there won't be any residual discomfort after waking up. It's a non-issue.

The night before prep on the other hand...