PDA

View Full Version : Rim strip question

jeffg
01-21-2008, 01:42 PM
I had always used Velox cloth until I got Campy and DT rims. I find it too difficult to mount most tires with the Velox tape. So I have some plastic rim strips on my Eurus and handbuilts.

I noticed to my chagrin that my new powertap wheel with DT rims has Velox, which made it a bear to change the tire and I had to give up on the Vittorias and throw on an old Schwalbe. I am wondering what rimstrip folks would recommend in this situation?

I know the Velox is more durable but I am sick of wrestling tires ...

Ken Robb
01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I haven't tried them but the little buttons that snap into the spoke holes might be the answer to your problem. They don't take up any volume outside the holes.

LegendRider
01-21-2008, 02:04 PM
I had always used Velox cloth until I got Campy and DT rims. I find it too difficult to mount most tires with the Velox tape. So I have some plastic rim strips on my Eurus and handbuilts.

I noticed to my chagrin that my new powertap wheel with DT rims has Velox, which made it a bear to change the tire and I had to give up on the Vittorias and throw on an old Schwalbe. I am wondering what rimstrip folks would recommend in this situation?

I know the Velox is more durable but I am sick of wrestling tires ...

Zipp rimstrips are much thinner than Velox. It makes a surprisingly big difference. I got mine from Excel.

stevep
01-21-2008, 02:35 PM
stella ( bike ribbon ) has some and i use the michelins now w/ no problems' they are the sort of snap in plastic...they used to split at the ferrules but i dont think they do anymore.
dt wheels come w/ some labeled dt but i thk theya re the same thing

Too Tall
01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Schwalbe is the only rim strip that could change my mind. They re-set the standard. They are plastic and that's not a problem. Prev. I only used velox.

Chief
01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
I haven't tried them but the little buttons that snap into the spoke holes might be the answer to your problem. They don't take up any volume outside the holes.

If the DT rim has double eyelets, then the veloplugs help but they still stick up too high and moreover fall out easily when changing the tire; eg, fixing a flat. I have gone to Rox rim tape which is very thin and makes mounting Vittoria tires with hands only easy. There was a thread on this very subject about a week or 10 days ago.

Ken Robb
01-21-2008, 07:47 PM
as I said, I never tried them but I have had some problems with plastic strips cracking so I stick w/Velox.

Peter P.
01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
This is what Ken Robb is referring to:

http://www.velocitywheels.com/default.asp?contentID=555

Ken Robb
01-21-2008, 10:54 PM
thanks, Peter