PDA

View Full Version : Should cell phone use in automobiles be banned?

sellsworth
01-20-2008, 10:17 AM
I got out for a short ride here in Reno yesterday. I stopped at a busy intersection and watched 16 vehicles make a left hand turn in front of me. Of the 16 drivers in these vehicles 8 of them were using cell phones. These data were quite disturbing to me and it certainly gives me an uneasy feeling while riding. I must admit that I use my cell on occasion while driving, but I've become an advocate for banning them. But I don't think that it will ever happen here in Nevada because there is such a libertarian attitude.

So what's your position? Should cell phone use in automobiles be banned?

majorpat
01-20-2008, 10:22 AM
They went halfway here in NY and require hands free usage. Not that it really changes the fact that the talkers are distracted regardless of whether they are clinging onto a handset or they have a bud jammed in their ear. Of course, I would argue that eating a whopper or doing your makeup while driving is equally distracting. We recently had a local teen kill herself and some friends when she crashed her car, sources say that she was text messaging when she crashed. Tragic yet it shows that people will do almost anything except pay attention to the road, I remember seeing many slow going commuters on 95 when I was in DC reading the paper.
Maybe it would be batter to ban idiots from driving, but we have tried to legislate common sense for years with little success...

Ray
01-20-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't think it should be banned any more than singing along to music, talking to passengers in your car, or farting should be banned while driving. There is a certain amount of distraction that drivers can handle and still effectively multi-task.

But I think hands-free use should be required and text messaging should ABSOLUTELY be banned.

-Ray

david
01-20-2008, 10:36 AM
yes.
i drive into nyc every day and can almost always spot the people who are on their phones as i approach.
out of synch with what's going on around them, screwing up the flow, weaving, not focussed.
as cyclists, we all know that it doesn't take much inattention on a driver's part for us to become a hood ornament.

A.L.Breguet
01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
If I had a nickel for every Jersey City cop I've seen driving and yakking on a phone, I'd have almost a buck.
Same goes for not-signaling, and rolling through stop signs.

Louis
01-20-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't have a cell phone so I'm hardly in a position to speak, but one option would be to ban use while the car is in motion (or in active stop and go traffic). That will never happen, but IMO would be a compromise.

Ginger
01-20-2008, 11:27 AM
How are you going to do that now that cell phones are integrated into the car's audio system?

Louis
01-20-2008, 11:33 AM
How are you going to do that now that cell phones are integrated into the car's audio system?

Easiest thing in the world if they are integrated. The car knows if it is moving or not, or if it is stop & go conditions. Easy enough to disable the cell under those conditions. (Presumably with some sort of emergency override that would last x minutes.) "Special circumstances" make things complicated and it would never happen, but it is doable.

Ginger
01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Easiest thing in the world if they are integrated. The car knows if it is moving or not, or if it is stop & go conditions. Easy enough to disable the cell under those conditions. (Presumably with some sort of emergency override that would last x minutes.) "Special circumstances" make things complicated and it would never happen, but it is doable.

I think they already do some of that...like the GPS that won't let you enter things while the car is moving.

BumbleBeeDave
01-20-2008, 11:42 AM
. . . any such law would be useless. Yes, we DO have a law here in NY state that supposedly requires hands free use while driving. It's a total joke.

Enforcement is almost non-existent. There's no mandate for enforcement and local agencies are so busy with more serious matters--like more serious crimes or just keeping up with calls in general because they're so strapped for manpower--that enforcing this law is obviously very low on their priority list, if it's on it at all. The only upside is that I have consistently seen State Troopers pulled over talking on their phones. That's a puzzle to me considering I often see them ignoring just about every other rule of the road they're supposed to be enforcing.

Anyway, it's turned out to be similar to the same kind of law passed several years ago supposedly mandating bike helmet use by all riders 14 or under. Totally unenforced. These kinds of laws are passed by our legislators just so they can boast they've "solved" the problem.

You might as well wish the sun to come up in the west. Ain't gonna happen. all you can do is keep your eyes open even more than you did before while riding or driving.

BBD

cadence231
01-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Yes.

Vancouverdave
01-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Yes x 1K

pdxmech13
01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
yes

bironi
01-20-2008, 12:11 PM
yes :beer:

chrisroph
01-20-2008, 12:53 PM
yes with exception of hands free auto integrated systems

shoe
01-20-2008, 01:27 PM
i think that eveyone should use a hands free device . i have done the tests and know which of the two are safer..a friend and i were almost cut off by a cop one night while he was on his cell phone...pulling out and not really paying attention. then again we didn't have any lights on our bikes either....dave

caleb
01-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Ban them in cars, but even more, ban them in public places. They're hurting my psychological health more than smoking ever hurt my physical health.

shoe
01-20-2008, 01:51 PM
oh yeah--i did forget about the use of phones in public places....i sometimes wonder why i feel anti social.....i am usually not a confrontational person...but answer your phone or continuously text in a movie and we most likely will be having a discussion...on my better days i just move where i am sitting...dave...

97CSI
01-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Ban them in all formats in moving automobiles. Ban them in all public places, both indoors and out.

David Kirk
01-20-2008, 01:55 PM
yes....no exceptions.

Dave

shoe
01-20-2008, 01:59 PM
i have used one on my bike once...is that worse then when driving a car...i was trying to let my friend no where our ride was,...and i did peel off the back..probably cut off a few motorists while at it too...they somehow seem so wrong when you are in the woods riding though....i really do have complex double standards...dave

shoe
01-20-2008, 02:06 PM
DK does that mean you don't use one when you are out on the race course.

David Kirk
01-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't own a cell phone and yet I live and breathe. Odd isn't it.

My wife Karin has one and when I travel anywhere I take it so I can check in but that's seldom.

I think there is a safety issue with cell phones and I don't think that anyone would argue that. What I don't like about them is the fact that it takes people out of living in the here and now. How many times have you been trying to get through the isle in the grocery store but can't because someone on a cell phone is taking with someone else (probably in their car :) ) about what type of potato chips they should get. Pick a bag of chops and move on. The folks needing help with the chips are annoying others around them and more importantly they are missing out on the life that is going on around them while they are on the phone. They lose the ability to interact with others and to read the signals others are sending..........both good and bad.

The tooth paste is out of the tube and it will never be put back in. Cell phones are here to stay and we'll all get to live with both the up and down sides of this. But think about how many lives have been lost out on the roads by folks talking and driving at the same time. I hear the "freedom" argument. But freedom at someone else's expense isn't freedom at all it's just selfish. It seems to me that if one life was saved at the expense someone getting the "wrong" bag of chips that this would be a compromise that we could all live with.

So no calls in cars, no exceptions.

Dave

P.S. The cell phone is the wrong thing to bring to a ski area. So far our ski area has little coverage so it's not often you see someone on the lift taking a call. I did once see the guy on the chair in front of me get and take a call while on the chair. He finished his call and then his buddy next to him asked to use the phone. The guy hands his phone over to his buddy and then the buddy hucks it off the lift into the snow below. One of the coolest and funniest things I ever saw. I think it may have put a bit of strain on the friendship. Still makes me smile.

swoop
01-20-2008, 02:34 PM
i'm with the kirks.
and i think .. in the end... all cell phones have done is seduce people out of the capacity to be with themselves, notice themselves, and self soothe.

i leave mine at home as often as possible.

caleb
01-20-2008, 02:42 PM
P.S. The cell phone is the wrong thing to bring to a ski area. So far our ski area has little coverage so it's not often you see someone on the lift taking a call. I did once see the guy on the chair in front of me get and take a call while on the chair. He finished his call and then his buddy next to him asked to use the phone. The guy hands his phone over to his buddy and then the buddy hucks it off the lift into the snow below. One of the coolest and funniest things I ever saw. I think it may have put a bit of strain on the friendship. Still makes me smile.

Not something I'd do to a friend, but I like the spirit of it.

Although we're now stuck with cell phones, I think the norms that govern their use are still being formed. For example, lots of coffee shops in my area have started to put up signs saying that cell phones are not to be used indoors. Hopefully this trend continues.

shoe
01-20-2008, 03:01 PM
dave you know you can't be a total luddite and borrow your wifes phone at the same time....sorry couldn't resist... i really just wanted to use the word luddite...i always say that it is going to be the person in the big suv on the cell phone that will hit my when riding... i just hope we are both going very slow....dave

toaster
01-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Number one question: do you use your cell phone in your car?

Nowadays it's a given that there will be cell phone use while driving, and yes it is a dangerous activity.

New cars are going to have to be equipped with systems that are voice activated and reliable. Aftermarket manufacturers are also going to need to step up and provide good systems as well. Then state legislatures are going to need to make voice activation and hands-free a requirement.

I'll feel safer both in my car and on my bicycle when this occurs.

csm
01-20-2008, 03:09 PM
crazy. all it would be is another opportunity for revenue enhancement. it won't do anything to make it safer out there. you want safer rds? start enforcing the stop sign, signaling, speed limits, etc. I am more vigilant everyday watching for idiots running lights, stop signs, etc.

Ahneida Ride
01-20-2008, 03:19 PM
. . . any such law would be useless. Yes, we DO have a law here in NY state that supposedly requires hands free use while driving. It's a total joke.

BBD

I see ton's of drivers here using cell phones ...
It's a NY state joke ...

merckx
01-20-2008, 03:24 PM
yes

DfCas
01-20-2008, 03:46 PM
yes

Len J
01-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Enforcement is almost non-existent. There's no mandate for enforcement and local agencies are so busy with more serious matters--like more serious crimes or just keeping up with calls in general because they're so strapped for manpower--that enforcing this law is obviously very low on their priority list, if it's on it at all. The only upside is that I have consistently seen State Troopers pulled over talking on their phones. That's a puzzle to me considering I often see them ignoring just about every other rule of the road they're supposed to be enforcing.

Anyway, it's turned out to be similar to the same kind of law passed several years ago supposedly mandating bike helmet use by all riders 14 or under. Totally unenforced. These kinds of laws are passed by our legislators just so they can boast they've "solved" the problem.

You might as well wish the sun to come up in the west. Ain't gonna happen. all you can do is keep your eyes open even more than you did before while riding or driving.

BBD

There are only 2 ways this behavior will be curtailed:

1.) When people really want the laws enforced; &

2.) When the insurance companies want this behavior reduced or eliminated. What do you think would happen if the major auto insurance companies changed their policies to not cover accidents where cell phone use was deemed a contributor? &/or if they started offering rate reductions for autos with hands free capabilities?

BTW, since the Insurance companies have not come out with policy modifications re cell phone use (that I know of) I'm suspious with these claims that cell phone use has actually increased the rate of accidents.........it may be a case of trading one distraction for another. Insurance co's have the financial incentive to reduce this behavior if it were in fact increasing their claims.

Len

93legendti
01-20-2008, 04:15 PM
What about iPod use while on the bike?

A.L.Breguet
01-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Generally, a bad idea.

Fixed
01-20-2008, 04:31 PM
how about an ipod and a cell on the bike ? cheers :beer:

A.L.Breguet
01-20-2008, 04:35 PM
how about an ipod and a cell on the bike ? cheers :beer:
iPhone.

csm
01-20-2008, 04:36 PM
or ipod, cell phone and a guiness. (for stregnth)

swoop
01-20-2008, 04:47 PM

a bike is not a car.
in most states ipod use is alreay illegal on a bike on the street. it just isnt typically enforced.

andy mac
01-20-2008, 04:54 PM
we moved from nyc to sydney australia last year for work for a couple of years.

cell phones are banned here when driving. it's around a $200 fine, loss of demerit points and is tightly enforced. you can use a hands free kit.

when it was introduced people didn't like it much but they got used to it. society didn't grind to a halt. folks were still able to work and/or get laid.

btw studies reportedly show that talking on the phone is as dangerous as drink driving.

we lived in amsterdam too and people yapping on phones on bikes where far more dangerous to be around although the speeds dictate you probably end up with a scraped knee or broken wrist not dying.

the worst is yet to come - cars with full internet access etc.

:crap:

TMB
01-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I fail to understand how humanity existed for so long without cell phones.

Clearly they are critical to our society, they must be since it seems you never see anyone anyone anymore that doesn't have one jammed on their ear.

What did we do for all those years when people had to actaully make their phone calls at home?

I was shovelling the driveway this morning, the girl from across the street comes out, gets in her car and starts it up. I look up as she's driving away - already talking on a cell phone.

She just came out of the house!?

I carry my cell phone and blackberry in the trunk of my car, I'm sick of both of them.

97CSI
01-20-2008, 04:58 PM
the worst is yet to come - cars with full internet access etc. :crap:Unfortunately, you likely correct. Hopefully, the 'hands-free' car will make it safe.

Kevan
01-20-2008, 05:01 PM
but it is a total joke in terms of control and restraint.

I'm not a big cellophone user, but here's what I do: I put the phone on speaker and toss it in the seat next to me. Hands free while moving...

girlie
01-20-2008, 05:07 PM
I sleep with my cell phone.
I wouldn't make it to work on time if I didn't have it.
It is my best friend and I always have it with me.
I am by myself a lot...on the bike....in the studio.....if I didn't have my cell phone it would be very difficult to maintain any friendships cause I'm busy.

I am completely secure being by myself - it's simply nice to have access to well whatever and whoever.

Hell half the racing world is paid for by cell phones or some communications sponsor. Those guys and girls would never be able to have any friends if they didn't have their internet and cell phone etc.......

As far as the car thing......don't kill anyone but yourself.

Blue Jays
01-20-2008, 05:11 PM
/\/\ girlie, do you use a Bluetooth device with your cellular telephone while riding?

girlie
01-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Though I do bring my phone with me and yes even answer it while on rides.
And I still don't get dropped;)
Of course I am not talking about mountain biking.....I'm not that good.

superunleaded
01-20-2008, 05:20 PM
yes
'cept for handsfree capabilities

A.L.Breguet
01-20-2008, 05:36 PM
How bout cell phone, ipod, and no helmet, on the bike.

swoop
01-20-2008, 05:53 PM
How bout cell phone, ipod, and no helmet, on the bike.

that's my monday ride.

SoCalSteve
01-20-2008, 07:03 PM
that's my monday ride.

I'm there, see you on the bridge!

chuckroast
01-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Does anyone else think those Blue Tooth devices are a one way ticket to planet Dorktron?

Louis
01-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Why are we even wasting our time hoping for this? They are just as likely to pass a law and enforce it as they are to ban idiots from driving in the first place. Just not going to happen.

sg8357
01-21-2008, 12:36 PM
The Libertarian response to cell usage, would be cell jammers and
emp devices, which are also good for SUVs. Can I fit an ALQ-99
on a yakima rack ?

Anyone know the Sharia law punishment for car cell usage ?
Docking of the ears maybe ?

Scott "Old Crow" G.

Tom
01-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Does anyone else think those Blue Tooth devices are a one way ticket to planet Dorktron?

The first time I saw one of those I was monkeyfarting around in my garage one Saturday when the mailman, not our normal one, approached having an animated and somewhat irritated conversation on his bluetooth headset.

He's lucky I saw it before I was forced to hit him over the head with a shovel. I was convinced he was completely nuts, shouting at somebody that wasn't there.

MarleyMon
01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
now available in a helmet mount version from Nashbar (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=19642&storetype=estore&estoreid=1175&pagename=Estore%3A%20Indoor%20Trainers%20%26%20Ele ctronics%20On%20Sale)
" Now you can go hands free while riding with the ActiveBlu Bluetooth wireless headset. Mounts directly to your helmet. Works with Nokia, Ericcson, Motorola, and other Bluetooth enabled phones. Provides a noise canceling wind reduction microphone and an ear piece/control module so you can safely answer calls when riding. The noise canceling microphone allows you to hear calls even at speeds over 20 mph."

if only it came w/ a mirror attachment :)

Ozz
01-22-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm on the phone all friggin' day....I look forward to a nice quiet ride home...on bus reading, carpooling with my wife (our only kid-free zone :p ), or even riding home.

As far as friendships....I like to "maintain them" the old fashioned way...you know, be with them in the same room and all that. :beer:

Frankwurst
01-22-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't carry a cell phone when I ride anywhere (I managed to ride half way across the country without one), I don't carry a cell phone with me when I walk (I've managed to walk alot of places my whole life without one), I do have a cell phone in my vehicle that I very rarely use and my brother tells people it's there for outgoing calls only(I've managed to drive hundreds of thousands of miles without one). I hate'em and I'm trying to fight it in a personal way but I'm loosing the battle on a personal level and probably should give in. They have become a part of everyone else's life in this world including my friends and family. Rant over. I'm gonna go to my basement, turn up the tunes, make a big drink and work on a bike. You want to talk bikes call me. :beer: