PDA

View Full Version : Going to Ireland. Need advice

coopdog
01-19-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm taking the wife and kids to Ireland for a wedding in May. We've rented a little cottage in Schull (in the South). I really want to do some cycling while there. There are plenty of rental places, but they rent 'hybrid' style bikes for touring. Since we are staying in one place and won't need to carry gear, I'd like to take my cross bike but I have no idea how difficult it is to fly a bike over.

Suggestions?

Thanks

KJMUNC
01-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Coop, I thought of doing the same when we visited last August, but decided against it for several reasons: flying with the bike isn't the tough part....just box it up and check it. Just be ready to pay $75-100 each way depending on the airline. The tough part is what do you do with it when you land. If you're renting a car, you'll have to rent a mini-bus to fit it inside, as the vast majority of rentals are compact size. Even if you are taking public transport, it's still a major challenge to lug around another oversized piece of luggage.

As far as the riding, the scenery is gorgeous and would make for some incredible riding, but the roads are just as horrendous as you've probably heard, and are scary narrow. Pack lots of spare tubes/patches, be prepared to get wet every day, and be especially vigilant on those skinny country roads, most of which are barely a single lane. Enjoy the trip, it's a gorgeous country!

mflaherty37
01-20-2008, 12:02 PM
I second that.

EDS
01-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Coop, I thought of doing the same when we visited last August, but decided against it for several reasons: flying with the bike isn't the tough part....just box it up and check it. Just be ready to pay $75-100 each way depending on the airline. The tough part is what do you do with it when you land. If you're renting a car, you'll have to rent a mini-bus to fit it inside, as the vast majority of rentals are compact size. Even if you are taking public transport, it's still a major challenge to lug around another oversized piece of luggage.

As far as the riding, the scenery is gorgeous and would make for some incredible riding, but the roads are just as horrendous as you've probably heard, and are scary narrow. Pack lots of spare tubes/patches, be prepared to get wet every day, and be especially vigilant on those skinny country roads, most of which are barely a single lane. Enjoy the trip, it's a gorgeous country!

It really is amazing just how narrow some of those roads are. I couldn't believe some of them were actually two-way roads. Driving was by far the worst part of my experience in Ireland.

stevep
01-20-2008, 01:13 PM
nah,
bring the bike.
bring some rope and tie the box to the roof of the rental car.
easy.

i've done it and tied 3 boxes on top of each other...its not elegant but it works... you just cant go 80 around corners.

ps. its a great country to ride. spent a summer there years ago.
people are so friendly...great time.

97CSI
01-20-2008, 02:02 PM
The tricky part is learning to think backwards. They drive on the wrong side of the road. Usually takes a few days to get acclimated to being backwards for turns, round-abouts, etc. But is fairly straight forward after that. Be very careful and don't let you mind wonder. Remember that all those drivers are going to go the opposite way in an emergency than that to which your are conditioned. Enjoy the Guinness!

JStonebarger
01-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I rode through Schull several times last summer. On a crappy "hybrid" rental. It was a blast.

The narrow roads do take some getting used to, but it's not all that bad. It's a very different mindset to driving in Ireland. Where the roads are so narrow and there are no sidewalks, people drive slower and expect pedestrians and bikes (and dogs...) in the road. Compared to drivers in the U.S., drivers in Ireland seem very attentive. And friendly.

I debated taking my road bike, but decided it wasn't worth the hastle -- Since I was there with family, I knew I wouldn't have all that much time to ride. And for not much at all we rented two bikes -- so I could drag some company along.

The scenery along that part of the coast is wonderful. Enjoy it.

coopdog
01-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll be driving a "people carrier" anyway since I'll be invading with wife, 2 kids, and 2 in-laws. I'm leaning towards a rental now. There are several companies that can have one waiting for us at the cottage. That's really hard to beat for convenience. Plus anyone could ride it, not the case with my cross bike. And it sounds like fenders may not be such a bad thing.

But I had this silly idea that I could get up early and with a 2 or 3 hour head start I could bike to the destination of the day and meet my family there. I don't know how doable that is with a hybrid bike.

jbay
01-20-2008, 03:35 PM
[...] the roads are just as horrendous as you've probably heard, and are scary narrow. Pack lots of spare tubes/patches, be prepared to get wet every day, and be especially vigilant on those skinny country roads, most of which are barely a single lane.

I may be biased because I grew up there and am used to narrow roads. However, I have to say I feel far safer on those narrow lanes that I do on any high-speed road with a shoulder. The average driver can't, and doesn't, drive terribly fast on little roads like that and motorists generally will give you both the time of day and a full-fingered wave as they pass.

There are few things - that I would mention in a public forum, at least! - that are as much fun as riding on wee boreens with grass growing up the middle. I've likened it to riding on singletrack that just happens to be tarmac.

Bring your bike. Bring some raingear. As one of my old cycling friends would say, "Better looking at it than looking for it!".

Have a great time,
John

93legendti
01-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll be driving a "people carrier" anyway since I'll be invading with wife, 2 kids, and 2 in-laws. I'm leaning towards a rental now. There are several companies that can have one waiting for us at the cottage. That's really hard to beat for convenience. Plus anyone could ride it, not the case with my cross bike. And it sounds like fenders may not be such a bad thing.

But I had this silly idea that I could get up early and with a 2 or 3 hour head start I could bike to the destination of the day and meet my family there. I don't know how doable that is with a hybrid bike.

You could buy a Uniscasi, have an existing bike coupled by Bilenky/any of the bike builders on the Forum, or buy a stock Bike Friday Pocket Rocket--in stock, complete and $999.

Fixed
01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
bro buy a cheap ride when you get there ship it home or give it away or sell it back to the bike shop when your done
cheers :beer:

pedalcr8z
01-20-2008, 09:42 PM
My wife and I were there in 1996 and stayed throughout the southern part of the lovely Emerald Isle also. One the the things I noticed immediately with our rental car as I was inspecting it before I drove away with it was the passenger side rear view mirror was all scratched. Brought it to their attention and was informed not to worry about it as ALL passenger side rear view mirrors are scratched as it's quite common to knick the mirrors of the cars coming at you from the opposite direction as the roads are really not wide enough for 2 cars to pass as they barely make it! You might simply try a rental bike but again as everyone has preached, ride with EXTREME caution. I would rent either a hybrid or mountain bike as you will unquestionably want to get to the medians when cars are passing in either direction! 3 possible points of interest you may want to check into, take a drive on the Ring of Kerry an bring a camera for some stunning scenery including a coastal drive from the cliffs with spectacular scenery. Also take the tour of the Waterford crystal factory....fascinating for kids of all ages you included and you also may want to check out the Guiness factory in Dublin. As a side note some of our best meals were in Irish pubs and make certain you try the Shepherds Pie!

Viper
01-20-2008, 09:52 PM
You'll have a great time. Drive carefully, wear seatbelts. Get a GPS unit if you can, you'll get lost a lot and when a local tells you the place you're looking for is, "Down a ways" that can be five minutes or fourty-five. The West coast is scenic, then again it all is. Tis' fifty shades of green. Watch the sunset over the land atmo. Eat lots of salmon, lamb, the hamburgers come with 1/4" of ham slapped on top, BACON!!! BACON!!! VIVA BACON!!! Enjoy some good stew, Guinness, Irish Coffees and man-up, order one (or three) Hot Toddys one chilly night. Talk to the locals, stay at B&B's. Look for Stephen Roche, Sean Kelly and if the sh*t hits the fan, drop me a PM, I'll let you use my last name (it'll get you safely across the entire island atmo).

I say you rent a bike there.

sg8357
01-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Bring a saddle and some walkable spd pedals & shoes. Do you own
a really good rain jacket ? The hybrid is a good idea, lots of semi paved
tracks are used for walking/cycling.

I rode in England & Wales in June, small roads and tall hedges, the
drivers were very friendly, no getting buzzed, yelling etc.
I removed the mirror after day 1, the drivers just know how to behave.