PDA

View Full Version : Zero Gravity Brakes

ridemoreoften
01-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Who has zero gravity brakes and how do you like them?

swoop
01-19-2008, 04:31 PM
if i were going to get some i'd go to sveltecycles.com

Ahneida Ride
01-19-2008, 04:42 PM
My Lbs guru has em on his Ottrott ....

He likes em .... But he has the technical talent to set em up correctly.

and he weighs 150 lbs ...

Grant McLean
01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
they also gots the new 'negative-G' model for those
who are too afraid to get the zero-G

set up ain't that big a deal. they stop well, if that's your thing

-g

Blue Jays
01-19-2008, 05:26 PM
They look very sharp. Brakes are an area where I don't want to concern myself with shaving grams. I'll do that in less-critical areas like saddles, bottlecages, handlebar tape, and similar.

zap
01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
The ss version I have works just fine. I don't have a need to lock up tires. If you pay attention to stuff, setup is a breeze.

I'm not sure if I would use them hard for 10 years and I sure as heck won't be putting them on our tandem.

David Kirk
01-19-2008, 05:52 PM
I like mine just fine.

Dave

DarrenCT
01-19-2008, 05:54 PM
I like mine just fine.

Dave

your wife or your brakes?

flux
01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
i think there's always a trade off for weight.
so... they work fine.. but not as well.. but they are lighter. so the box feels light when you buy it. that's cool!
you need to set them up correctly to get the most from them. which is true of all things.
the progression of force is different. and different is neither better or worse.. just different.
its not like they don't stop you or fall apart. they stop you and they dont fall apart!

i have them on my gay bike. i don't have them on my straight bike.
my next bike is gay vague and wont have them.

they stand behind the product and are on top of any warranty or failures should anything happen. if you want uber light brakes that dont cost a few brunks... why not.

but then also... there's.. why?
i prefer the weight penalty and solid feel of campy. i found shimao (homage to shino in the spelling) to be too on/off but still amazing too. lots of insanely technical long descents here where brakes can save your life.
if i were going to get some i'd go to sveltecycles.com

Swoop,

What's you next bike?

flux
01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Who has zero gravity brakes and how do you like them?

Thank You for the plug Swoop.

I sell them and I ride them (when I am not under contract with SRAM... whose brakes a fabulous by the way).

A trained monkey could set them up proper but there is def a protocol that needs to be followed. They stop me on a dime and never come out of adjustment.I set mine up, I set DarrenCT's up. It's all about the tech doing the work. If you have the cash it's a no brainer.

DarrenCT
01-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Thank You for the plug Swoop.

I sell them and I ride them (when I am not under contract with SRAM... whose brakes a fabulous by the way).

A trained monkey could set them up proper but there is def a protocol that needs to be followed. They stop me on a dime and never come out of adjustment.I set mine up, I set DarrenCT's up. It's all about the tech doing the work. If you have the cash it's a no brainer.

public announcement: i've bought a pair of zero g's from flux and i'm very happy with him. i'd give him my business over anyone else.

ps: its beer time.

saab2000
01-19-2008, 06:14 PM
These look better. Stop OK. Flux doesn't sell them I don't think.

There are better places to save grams than brakes I think. But if you're going for the hellalite bike I guess they're OK.

The second ones stop even better.

Are the ZG brakes US made?

flux
01-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Are the ZG brakes US made?

Yes. So are their submarine's. True Story.

P.S. Those brakes look terrible. Clean you bike man! :)

saab2000
01-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Yes. So are their submarine's. True Story.

P.S. Those brakes look terrible. Clean you bike man! :)

Different bike. Different brakes. Still not very clean.....

BTW, if I made my own brakes I would do them a bit like Campagnolo and a bit like Suntour, with internal springs. Very clean looking.

Bruce K
01-19-2008, 06:27 PM
I have them on both road bikes and they work fine so far.

I will be curious to see how they work with the Swiss Stop yellow pads on the carbon rims.

BK

swoop
01-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Swoop,

What's you next bike?

made to measure road speedvagen.

shhhhh, its a secret.

swoop
01-19-2008, 06:35 PM
I have them on both road bikes and they work fine so far.

I will be curious to see how they work with the Swiss Stop yellow pads on the carbon rims.

BK

they'll be just fine!

Z3c
01-19-2008, 07:40 PM
I put them on my black bike for just that reasoand have been very happy with them, no real adjustment issues. My other bike has DA stoppers and I don't really notice a big diff between them. It is nice that the DA;s allow you to re-center with your hands if they get bumped etc.. ZG's will require you to have tools to fix it that happens.

I have updated to the Negative G's over the winter and it has been cold ever since so no experience with them yet. Madcow at Fairwheel did a road brake review and the NG'S rated better than the ZG's.

Scott

jimcav
01-19-2008, 08:33 PM
so i like them.
cable housing length needs to be right on, but otherwise they work fine, look good, weigh little. that said i sold my 585, cinelli, and time with them still onthe bike--though about keeping the brakes, but decided it did not really matter.
and yes, they work fine on carbon with swissstop

jim

bluehorseshoe
01-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I had 'em and didn't love them. I found them a little fussy to set up (they showed the flaws in my wrenching) and they never had the initial bite I like.

Then again, it all could be a mismatch of personal style to product. I tend to brake later and harder and emphasize the front, and release reletively quickly with the front -- I don't feather the front toward the apex so much, and rely on the rear brake for speed and line control while leaned over. Some of the ability to modulate the zero g's (more than shimano) is therefore lost on me. I didn't like them in the rain, but I was using black swisstop pads on aluminum rims, when the green ones were rain-specific.

Otherwise, they're as advertised -- light, sexy, very well made, and retained a pretty good resale price.

Johnnyg
01-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I have had them on my bike for a couple of years and like them very much. JohnnyG

Flat Out
01-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I like mine as well.

chrisroph
01-20-2008, 11:48 AM
i have a set. beautifully built, easy enough to set up, nice function, great piece of ww kit. i just don't like the cable pinch but mine are a few years old and they've redesigned this area.

SPOKE
01-20-2008, 12:11 PM
i have a pair of the Negative G's waiting to be installed. picked them over the Zero's expecting a bit better initial "bite" upon application. setup looks to be straight forward. :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
01-20-2008, 12:30 PM
. . . because I have a pair being installed on the Queen Bee at my LBS right now! . . .

They're black with yellow pads--how could I possibly pass them up? :rolleyes:

BBD

stormyClouds
01-20-2008, 12:33 PM
I wonder where a fella could find a used set of those fancy brakes ;) ???

chrisroph
01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
i sold a couple pair for a friend here a year or so again, i'll see if he has any left.

93legendti
01-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I wonder where a fella could find a used set of those fancy brakes ;) ???
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=39059