PDA

View Full Version : Shoes and Pedals

tkachuk1
01-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Heres teh escoop. Yes I realize it is all personal Pref on these items. I am looking to mix er up. I have a Colnago full campy down to wheels. Seat is a Fizek Arolone. I want to keep it all Italian. Who is the best Italian maker on pedals. Campy Pedals are not good IMO.

Shoes any Sidi models out there for the buck worth it? I have a 49 shoe!

Thanks from a Virgin poster!

BdaGhisallo
01-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Get whatever pedals work for you and don't limit yourself to the nationality of the company marketing the pedals. Besides, if you scratch Campy pedals off your list, you will have to hunt very hard to find italian pedals. Miche might be your only realistic option, but they basically rebadge Look designs.

All the major pedal makers are either french (look and time), american (speedplay and crank bros) or japanese (shimano).

Good luck!

Kervin
01-19-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm very happy with my Sidi Genius 5 road shoes. Not may bells and whistles, but a very good fit for me. I tried the ProFits for a while mostly because I had campy on the rest of my bike. If you wanted current and Italian, there is not much to pick from. If you go back in time a bit, I liked the diadora pedals back in the day.

jerk
01-19-2008, 12:08 PM
you could get miche pedals.

jerk

SoCalSteve
01-19-2008, 12:38 PM
In a size 49 (14 US) you'd be hard pressed to find anything but Sidi Genius 5's...I know, as I am a size 14 (49) and own many pairs of Sidi Genius 5's...I'm always scared that they are going to stop making things in large sizes, so I stock up when I find an item that I like...

Steve

PS: For a guy your size, you may want to consider a "larger" platform pedal system...such as Look or Shimano. Remember, form follows function (including nationalities).

BumbleBeeDave
01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
In a size 49 (14 US) you'd be hard pressed to find anything but Sidi Genius 5's...I know, as I am a size 14 (49) and own many pairs of Sidi Genius 5's...I'm always scared that they are going to stop making things in large sizes, so I stock up when I find an item that I like...

Steve

PS: For a guy your size, you may want to consider a "larger" platform pedal system...such as Look or Shimano. Remember, form follows function (including nationalities).

. . . I'd venture a guess that you could find some decent deals on closeouts on Sidis. I have several pairs, though I only wear a 45. It always seems that when I see closeout prices on Sidis--which is rare enough in itself--they only have the odd, really large or really small sizes. check Nashbar or Performance or other online sites.

BBD

saab2000
01-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Italian pedals and leather.

SoCalSteve
01-19-2008, 01:14 PM
. . . I'd venture a guess that you could find some decent deals on closeouts on Sidis. I have several pairs, though I only wear a 45. It always seems that when I see closeout prices on Sidis--which is rare enough in itself--they only have the odd, really large or really small sizes. check Nashbar or Performance or other online sites.

BBD

Thanks for the suggestion! At this point in time, I believe I have enough pairs of Sidi Genius 5's to last me many, many years (considering they hardly ever wear out).

Also, due to the writers strike, I am kind of on wallet lockdown, as it were...I dont mind being unemployed, but not knowing when the strike will be settled and when we will all go back to work is a bit unsettling...

Thanks again!

Steve

tkachuk1
01-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Thx guys for the input. I have a few road bikes and the Conago I wanted to build as all Italian. Yes I am an Italian haha.
Campy Record/Chorus combo blah down to helmet and seat are Italian minus pedal. I guess I will just eat it. I been using Ultegra Pedals and time to make a change. What are the thoughs on the Looks? I see them online ebay etc for about 90 new.

Sidi model 5 I have been looking at. I saw apair of the older 4's. I perfer the ratched and see the 5s have it.
Thx guys and I enjoy this fori, I am new and loving it.

Any hockey fans out there? I am a deal or game worn hockeyj erseys, sticks etc...Any one want to barter :-)

SoCalSteve
01-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Thx guys for the input. I have a few road bikes and the Conago I wanted to build as all Italian. Yes I am an Italian haha.
Campy Record/Chorus combo blah down to helmet and seat are Italian minus pedal. I guess I will just eat it. I been using Ultegra Pedals and time to make a change. What are the thoughs on the Looks? I see them online ebay etc for about 90 new.

Sidi model 5 I have been looking at. I saw apair of the older 4's. I perfer the ratched and see the 5s have it.Thx guys and I enjoy this fori, I am new and loving it.

Any hockey fans out there? I am a deal or game worn hockeyj erseys, sticks etc...Any one want to barter :-)

The 4's dont work well with many pedal-cleat systems. Stick with the 5's.

ridemoreoften
01-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I had the Campy Record Pros and rode them for 4 years without ever liking them - takes a brain surgeons skills to click in. Currently ride Look Keos carbon and like alot. Not Italian, but a good option.

saab2000
01-19-2008, 05:45 PM
If I ever give up my Time Impacts I'll get Shimano DA pedals. No, they're not Italian. But they are about the best out there I think.

'Cept Times.....

bostondrunk
01-19-2008, 06:37 PM
If I ever give up my Time Impacts I'll get Shimano DA pedals. No, they're not Italian. But they are about the best out there I think.

'Cept Times.....

Saab,
I have the new DA pedals and hate them. I'd be more than happy to give you a sweet deal on them. :)