PDA

View Full Version : The Demise of Avocet Computers

Keith A
08-12-2004, 09:09 AM
So what happened to Avocet computers? This company used to be one of the main players in the cycle computer world, but now you can't even find their computers for sale anywhere.

I have been using a couple of Avocet 45's for a long time and have always liked the display and buttons on the units. I only had one problem with one of the mounting units and Avocet was very quick to replace this for free.

It seems as though they just shut down their computer R&D department and tried to just keep selling the same stuff they made 10 years ago. Whereas, most of the other cycle computer companies have continued to improve their products.

With wireless technology getting better all the time, it won't be long before the wired computers are a thing of the past. BTW, check out Cateye's new CC-CD300CW on CyclingNews (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/newarrivals/aug11) It has the pick up sensor for both the candence and speed built into the same unit that is mounted on the chainstay -- now that's a good idea.

LegendRider
08-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Good question. My Avocet 40 that was at least 8 years old just died a few weeks ago. I couldn't find a replacement Avocet anywhere.

BumbleBeeDave
08-12-2004, 10:01 AM
. . . that they have not put out any new products that I remember for a long time. But slow results are nothing new for them. I remember in the mid 80's I waited for something like two years for them to come out with the first bike computer--which, at that time, was really whiz-bang technology. It just kept getting delayed.

I have a 45tt on my Vitus TT bike that I got some time ago. The cadence feature stopped working and they never could fix it right, working on it twice and sending me new mounting kits. Still works fine, the cadence just doesn't work. That being said, their customer service was good--blanket charge of like, $10 for repairs and sending me a new mounting kit for free each time.

Nice little computers . . . I particularly appreciated you could get them in different colors to match your bike.

BBDave

hooverone
08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
their site is still up, maybe you can order what you need that way.

Jim

hooverone
08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
www.avocet.com

BarryG
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
With wireless technology getting better all the time, it won't be long before the wired computers are a thing of the past.
Wired computers (their sensors anyway) are lighter weight and more reliable. If the Mavic WinTech is any sign of things to come, wired manufacturers can rest easy.

Barry

hooverone
08-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Wired computers (their sensors anyway) are lighter weight and more reliable. If the Mavic WinTech is any sign of things to come, wired manufacturers can rest easy.

Barry

Is the WinTech no good?

Jim

Keith A
08-12-2004, 12:39 PM
I realize that their website is still up and didn't mean to imply that the company has closed their doors. But there isn't one mail-order catalog that carries their cycle computers, which leaves them only selling their tires (only two models) and saddles. And neither of these items are very common in catalogs. I would think that it would be difficult to maintain a company with little revenue coming in.

BarryG, you are correct about the weight of the wireless sensors, but nevertheless the wireless products are gaining market share. The Polar HRM with cycling computer functions have plenty of happy users of their wireless products and there are more and more companies producing wireless models.

BarryG
08-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Is the WinTech no good?

The skewer/sensor is slick. The computer is large, goofy looking, with limited display considering its size. The transmitter has a limited range compared to Cateye. In my installation, the computer seemed to be right at the threshold of reception which caused the current velocity to be updated only about every 15 sec and sometimes the speed display read zero. I returned it. The Cateye Cordless7 on another bike works like a champ however.

Barry

Too Tall
08-12-2004, 01:16 PM
It's a sad story. From what was told to me by their warranty rep....apparently they failed to own their code outright. The company who has rights to the code went bye bye.

They ceased to have any ability to upgrade the electronics yrs. ago...many yrs. ago.

A few yrs. ago we switched to el cheapo Cateye Mity3s and never looked back. Hard to argue with deadly accurate, 2 trip odometers for less than $20.

Keith A
08-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Too Tall -- Thanks for the scoop on Avocet computers. I am really sad to hear this, as I was hoping that Avocet would be staying in the market. But it doesn't look good for them.

BTW, I did a quick eBay search and see that the Avocet 45 is still in demand. The one in this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30108&item=3692473041&rd=1) went for $65.99 plus shipping.

Too Tall
08-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Are you cereal???? I've have a stack of Avocet's I'll NEVER use. Groan. E-Bay is just amazing.

William
08-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Maybe I shouldn't admit this... :rolleyes:

but I'm still running my Avocet 40. I have never had any problems with it...well, except it was purple but the sun has faded it to a funky pink. :D

If it ain't broke, don't replace it. ;)

William

(TT, I called the number that was recorded on my cell but it keeps coming up as disconnected. I'll go retrieve one of the other #'s and try again)

BumbleBeeDave
08-12-2004, 02:17 PM
. . . seems to me to be a flimsy excuse. How difficult or expensive can it be to find someone to write some new code for a computer that is so simple?

Oh, well, I have better things to worry about other than whether my Avocet will be repairable--especially when you can get any one of 12 others these days for what, 20 bucks?

BBDave