PDA

View Full Version : Italian Tours?

tch
01-17-2008, 11:02 PM
My wife is interested in taking us to Europe -- probably Italy (Tuscany) -- this summer for a week of riding and touring around. She's not interested in a hard, camp-like experience, but more of a tourist riding a bike gig. We're thinking 30-50 miles a day, and nice food and drink and scenery to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

I've searched the threads and came up with some responses naming Cinghiale, Ciclismo Classico, Bike Vermont, and VBT. Any specific experiences with any of these? Recommendations? Other tour companies to consider? Anyone want to convince us to go somewhere other than Italy?
Thanks.

mosca
01-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Breaking Away is excellent, and would be my first choice (although I'd love to do a Cinghiale tour someday).

http://www.breakingaway.com/

They do Tuscany, and their Abruzzo tour is also very popular.

sbornia
01-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Cinghiale is buonissimo. You will ride, eat, and drink well every day. And be treated exceptionally well. Given the type of riding you're after, a "2 pigger" challenge level might be just right.

Ti-Boy
01-18-2008, 03:42 AM
I toured with Ciclismo Classico last summer and was very satisfied with the experience.

bocarider
01-18-2008, 05:23 AM
I have put up a number of posts about our trips with Backroads. Last summer we did the 9 day Tuscany trip and loved it. Do a search and you should be able to find my more detailed comments about how much we like Backroads as a bike tour company. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Kirk007
01-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Cinghiale is absolutely great. But be warned - 30-50 miles in Tuscany can seem a lot longer if your traveling perpendicular to the ridges - 6 or 7 four mile climbs in that amount of mileage on a hot day could be a bit much if your wife is a casual rider. A two pigger max. I'd say if you're looking for the "tourist" approach. They used to do one that was a cooking/riding camp and spent most of the time doing day rides from Castegneto. That might be ideal.

93legendti
01-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Breaking Away is excellent, and would be my first choice (although I'd love to do a Cinghiale tour someday).

http://www.breakingaway.com/

They do Tuscany, and their Abruzzo tour is also very popular.
BA'a Tuscany trip is one I would like to do again.

Bradford
01-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I know the folks at Ciclismo Classico pretty well and they do a great job. They go out of their way to make it a plush experience. They also have a strong native presence in the company to give it that local flavor.

Tom
01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
You ride, they take your gear to the next place. They're excellent.

jmr986
01-18-2008, 10:49 PM
available. I've been wanting to treat myself to a trip.

We are planning on going to Italy this summer. Taking my daughters for a family/grad gift. Keep us posted.

keno
01-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Did Tuscany with Butterfield & Robinson, a first class tour. Just returned from Vietnam and Cambodia with Backroads, superb tour. The Backroads guides give Butterfied the nod in Europe and Italy and themselves in Asia. They both are expensive, and well worth it if you can afford it. It comes down to what you need in accomodations, food and drink, overall experience, and TLC. Neither is what I would call a hard-core biking experience, but Tuscany had it's moments, for sure. They are impossible to avoid given the terrain.

keno

Blastinbob
01-19-2008, 08:21 AM
I want to do the cooking tour, but it won't happen as long as I am still married. Cinghiale tours (http://www.cinghiale.com/tours.htm)